Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Frequent internet disconnects

droog
Star

Frequent internet disconnects

RBR 850 internet disconnected

Hi,

I'm seeing frequent (at least 1x or 2x daily) internet outages these days. The log in the admin section of the router says "Internet disconnected".

My setup:

1gb FTTH serivice from ISP

ISP modem set in transparent bridge mode to Orbi router

Home is about 4000sqft, router with two satellites about 90ft min distance between each device

I have complained to the ISP and they have run diagnostics showing no disconnects, so it seems the problem is with Orbi. Firmware is 3.2.16.22 (latest) on all devices. It seems lots of people here are experiencing similar issues; this is causing massive disruptions is there a fix for this?

--

Cheers,

droog

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

You might update to v12 on the RBS first and RBR lastly, then factory reset the system and setup from scratch:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/New-RBR850-RBS850-Series-Firmware-Version-v3-2-17-12-Releas...

https://kb.netgear.com/31573/How-do-I-manually-upgrade-firmware-on-my-Orbi-router-using-orbilogin-co...
https://kb.netgear.com/000037217/How-do-I-check-and-manually-upgrade-the-firmware-on-my-Orbi-satelli...

I would power OFF the ISP modem/ONT for 30 seconds then back ON when you reset the RBR. 

I'm not seeing this on v12 nor did I see this on v22 though I don't have FTTP for ISP services. Cable modem here. 

Message 2 of 16
droog
Star

Thanks. I will try the latest firmware. With all the problems I've had with Orbi this is the last straw for me.

I purchased a new Mesh WiFi system in fustration today. If I get one more random disconnect the Orbi's go in the bin and I'll use the new system. The cost to my family in terms of the outages themselves and time wasted debugging flaky equipment.. its just not worth it.

Thanks to @FURRYe38 for all your help.

--

Cheers,

Droog

Message 3 of 16
eightninenine
Aspirant

Hi,

I have also been suffering with the same persistent issues over the last 3-4 weeks, with the issue appearing to get worse. I don't have fibre, I have a traditional copper broadband line. I have reset the router and modem a number of times, but each day it fails again. I've had the RBR850 for over a year now, for the majority of last year it was rock-solid, in fact, I would say 6-9 months passed without a single issue.

I noticed all of this was with firmware V3.2.16xxx so yesterday, I followed an earlier post to manually update to V3.2.17xxx and the problem persists.

I have not done a full reset, but it appears this is all I am left with.

Message 4 of 16
droog
Star

OK, thanks for posting.

I noticed in the log one time the disconnect was around the same time as an NTP time sync. Today my RBR850 device time was well out. I changed from "Netgear default" to cn.pool.ntp.org. It's not disconnected yet, but its only been a few hours. Seems to disconnect once or twice a day for me.

--

Cheers,

droog

Message 5 of 16
eightninenine
Aspirant

I have been using time.google.com for NTP for a long time, and my issues have only started occurring with greater frequency. When I get time later I will do a full reset. However, this doesn’t feel like a great solution, more like Netgear is grasping at straws. I am hoping that I can backup my settings and restore, otherwise this is a horrible task.
Message 6 of 16
droog
Star

Agree. That was just my last guess. I've wasted well over 80 hours trying to make this thing work. I'm getting threatening emails from school because my kids keep "cutting" remote learning classes, and my kids are screaming at me because the internet connection keeps going down.

Don't feel like debugging what feels like beta hardware and alpha software any longer. Sorry NG but your product is, well, ng.

--

Cheers,

droog

Message 7 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

You might try it. I'm in the USA region.

I'm using defualt NG NTP and have never see this issue:

Firmware Version: V3.2.17.12_1.4.14

CPU Load: 12.12%

Memory Usage(Used/Total): 491 MB/867 MB

System Uptime: 8 days 20:06:57

@eightninenine wrote:
I have been using time.google.com for NTP for a long time, and my issues have only started occurring with greater frequency. When I get time later I will do a full reset. However, this doesn’t feel like a great solution, more like Netgear is grasping at straws. I am hoping that I can backup my settings and restore, otherwise this is a horrible task.

Message 8 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Possible default NTP maybe getting blocked by your region. 

@droog wrote:

OK, thanks for posting.

I noticed in the log one time the disconnect was around the same time as an NTP time sync. Today my RBR850 device time was well out. I changed from "Netgear default" to cn.pool.ntp.org. It's not disconnected yet, but its only been a few hours. Seems to disconnect once or twice a day for me.

--

Cheers,

droog

Message 9 of 16
eightninenine
Aspirant

Hi FURRYe38,

Thanks in advance, I have read these forums before and you are a great help to many people it seems.

I have loaded what I believe is the latest firmware: V3.2.17.12_1.4.14 (quite the identification!).
I use a DrayTek Vigor 130 as the modem. I even bought this specifically as I read it was highly stable and reliable.

I have used many of the wireless settings recommended by you in a number of posts, and other than that I use Google’s DNS servers and Google’s NTP server.
Message 10 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

I would try ISP DNS and default NTP. I don't use Google much on anything. 

Message 11 of 16
droog
Star

I'm using the ISP's DNS (generally fastest option).

Google services are all actively blocked where I live so can't use google for NTP (or anything else for that matter). I don't know what the NG default is for NTP server. I selected a local NTP pool CNAME that seemed to respond quickly to ping. Best I could do...

Perhaps my ISP was blocking the netgear NTP default server - I know one strategy used here is to inject TCP RST packets (connection reset) into the connection. If that were happening it would explain my disconnects which effect both wired and WiFi clients.

The same ISP modem (EPON bridge) was used for a couple of years in my previous apparenment without any disconnects. This behaviour only started (or became noticable) when I setup Orbi mesh.

--

Cheers,

droog

Message 12 of 16
Madmen11
Aspirant

I've owned my Orbi RBR50 & RBS50 since 12/01/2016 without any issues. However, over the last 2 months I've experienced constant connectivity issues. My ISP has sent technicians to my home 3 times in the last month to try and address this issue. They've replaced essentially everything on their end including my modem with one of their own, a Hiltron Technologies DOCSIS 3.1 eMTA Input 12V= 2A.

I just recently updated my firmware over the weekend because I hadn't done so in a while, followed by another firmware update tonight to the current version V2.7.2.104.  I performed both of these firmware updates this week using the Orbi mobile app on my iPhone. I've already tried a number of different suggestions, including turning off all of the wifi devices in my home while rebooting the modem. Nothing seems to work and I don't have much hope this new firmware update will make much of a difference. My ISP has already suggested using their router for an additional $5 a month, but I'd like to exhaust all of my options before I throw in the towel on the $350 I spent on these routers 4 years ago. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 13 of 16
droog
Star

I have also had the ISP called out 3-4 times for this same reason. I've also had 2-3 all-night sessions after a full day of work reboouting routers waiting for hours and hours. They seemed longer because they happened "5 minutes..." and "2 minutes..." at a time. I have nightmares about glowing purple lights in the closet... and the white ones... the white ones sometimes slow, sometimes fast. But all so scary!

One session was my own fault, the rest remain mysteriously unexplained... a firmware and/or a UI bug.

Changing the default NTP server from netgear to a local pool seems to have helped for me. I can't be sure, but I'm now at 1.5 days without an internet disconnect; sadly even that is a record for us. It doesn't seem likely this will help others. Its just about possible in my case because I'm in China, and the default NTP service address could be blocked (many things here are).

Anyway, I'm throwing in the towel with Orbi. Yes, it was expensive, but its a sunk cost. I don't want any more nightmares about glowing rings or threatening emails from my kids' school complaining about them leaving video links. Replacement system came today and was up in minutes...

--

Cheers,

droog

Message 14 of 16
PM_13
Tutor

Few weeks back I had major issues with satellite and orbi sync and was told on another thread that V2.7.2.104 is pretty problematic. I did a hard reset to factory settings and currently on V2.6.1.40 and all the units seems to be working well for me.

HTH.

Message 15 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Since this is the Orbi AX forum, You should vist and post about this over in the Orbi AC forum:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/bd-p/Orbi

Be sure to factory rest the system and setup from scratch. Be sure to disable Traffic Meter as well.

Good Luck. 

@PM_13 wrote:

Few weeks back I had major issues with satellite and orbi sync and was told on another thread that V2.7.2.104 is pretty problematic. I did a hard reset to factory settings and currently on V2.6.1.40 and all the units seems to be working well for me.

HTH.

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7