Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS308T Managed Switch

russellmoran99
Luminary

GS308T Managed Switch

I just bought a new RBR850 (replaced my RBR50) and I'm having the SAME issues as before.  I believe I have narrowed it down to a mananged switch I have on the network causing issues.  I do not know how to manage it and I believe it's causing my network to go down every 3-4 days.  Last night it went down within 24 hours.  Here’s what I’m trying to fix. I know NOTHING about managed switches but did some googling and thought I had it setup correct. I obviously do not.

Router: Orbi RBR850 Firmware V4.6.3.16_2.0.51 with 2 matching Satellites - 1 Satellite is wired backhauled
Switch: Netgear S350 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Pro Switch GS308T
Server: Unraid 6.9.2 Dell RX720XD

I have all 4 ports on my Server plugged into the 2-5 ports on the managed switch and port 1 is plugged into another passive netgear GB switch allowing it internet connectivity. I have no clue how the setup on the switch is managed at this time. I will use any help I can get on this part.

On my unraid I have enable bonding balance-alb (6) on eth0, eth2, eth3. eth1 is on its own. I can’t recall why I’ve done this.
Any help including just getting rid of the managed switch is an option.  Any ideas y’all?

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: GS308T Managed Switch

Try finding IGMP and Green Ethernet options on the Switches web page and disable them. See if this helps. 

Otherwise I would recommend replaced this model switch with from from this list:

NG GS-105/108v4, D-Link DGS-105/108 and HP ProCurve 1400/1800 series switches work for Orbi systems.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Try finding IGMP and Green Ethernet options on the Switches web page and disable them. See if this helps. 

Otherwise I would recommend replaced this model switch with from from this list:

NG GS-105/108v4, D-Link DGS-105/108 and HP ProCurve 1400/1800 series switches work for Orbi systems.

Message 2 of 6
russellmoran99
Luminary

Thank you for the reply.  Both of those are disabled already.  (I'm assuming default).

I'm curious as to why you recommend another switch?  Is this managed switch known to be a problem with my orbi network?  I would gladly remove it and use a passive swith and just 1 ethernet cable on my unraid.  I am not sure of how that setup works, or why I have them bonded.  I just want it to work.  LOL

On a side note, but still related.  I have created a pfSense router.  If I use that as my router and turn the Orbi into an Access Point, would that allow me to keep the managed switch or still need to get rid of it?  Thanks

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Seen issues with Managed switches with Orbi systems historically. Orbi is kind picky when it comes to switches. Specially when in between the RBR and RBS. 

I would connect up the RBS directly to the back of the RBR and remove the switch and test the system out to see if this brings stability and good operation to the system. If it does, then you'll know it's the switch. 

Yes you can use a firewall in front and configure the Orbi for AP mode. RBS still need to be connected to the back of the RBR, even in AP mode. You can use switches in between however, just would need something suggested instead of a managed switch. Those models suggested have been tested and work with orbi systems. 

Message 4 of 6
russellmoran99
Luminary

It appears I have another managed switch I was unaware of.   It's  tp-link 8-port Gigabit Easy Smart With with 4-Port PoE+.   I am going to replace that as well.  What do you recommend for a PoE+ that will work with orbi?   Thank you.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

I don't use PoE so I don't know what model switch will work with Orbi systems. 

If you can connect a switch upstream for on a different segment from the RBR off the upstream router, you could probably still use the NG switch off that router. Just need something non managed in between the RBR and RBS. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7