Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Help connecting ORBI 760 to Nest Protects (I've tried everything)

ThatSteveGuy
Aspirant

Help connecting ORBI 760 to Nest Protects (I've tried everything)

Hello,

I need to find out if it's going to be possible to connect my Nest Protects (which I have had for a year or two) to my new ORBI 760 AX 5400 (#RBR760). I was excited to upgrade my network with the holiday sales, but at this point I may have to return the new router and satellite 😞

Note: I'm not a networking guy, but I have spent 30 years working in technology, so I understand a lot of what is going on. I understand the requirements for Nest Protect, but had read enough in advance to believe that those can be worked around.

Old network: AT&T service, Cisco modem, Sagemcom Router broadcasting 2.4 & 5G separately.

New network: AT&T service, same Cisco modem, ORBI 760 router + one satellite. Firmware V6.3.6.2_1.2.66

Smart devices: Nest Thermostats, Nest Protects, Eufy wired video doorbell (which I suppose I may have to return as well. I haven't even tried to set it up, yet )

All I did for setup was switch cables to from the old router to the new router and reboot the modem.

I used a new network name and password (the ones printed on the router. I'm lazy) when setting up the ORBI.

Everything in the house setup fine except the Nest Protects, and I have tried every piece of advice in this forum. I always get an error in the Nest app when trying to connect. I may have made a mistake in connecting the thermostats before the protects.

What I have tried so far:
Turning on ipv6 with AutoConfig

Reducing 5Ghz power to 25%

Disabling AX-This for 2.4Ghz

Rebooting the ORBI router

Removing the Nest Protects from the Nest Home app

Setting up a new home and trying to add a protect to that.

Hard reset on one of the Nest Protects

Unplugged the satellite

Tried three different protects

Any help would be hugely appreciated. Some of the suggesting (like turning off 5Ghz SSID broadcast) do not seem to be available in this version of the admin console.

Thanks,

Steve

Message 1 of 5
ThatSteveGuy
Aspirant

Re: Help connecting ORBI 760 to Nest Protects (I've tried everything)

AT&T handles our cellular, but my cable internet is provided by Spectrum. Everything else in the original post should be correct.

Message 2 of 5
Mikey94025
Hero

@ThatSteveGuy wrote:

I used a new network name and password (the ones printed on the router. I'm lazy) when setting up the ORBI.

Everything in the house setup fine except the Nest Protects, and I have tried every piece of advice in this forum. I always get an error in the Nest app when trying to connect. I may have made a mistake in connecting the thermostats before the protects.

Can you be more specific about the Nest app error and the Nest app setup steps that succeed/fail?  That may help us pinpoint what is not working between the Nest and Orbi networks.

I have 3 Nest Protects that I successfully setup with my earlier Orbi series (5 and 8).  I recall the Nest app can "borrow" the wifi configuration from an existing Nest device to setup a new one. Is that what you're doing, or are you entering wifi credentials again into the Nest app?

Also, you don't mention it in your list so if your Orbi firmware permits, one other thing to try: Set your CTS/RTS Threshold to 2347 to maximize compatibility with older wireless devices:

1. Go to the web admin portal at http://orbilogin.com/
  2. Click to the Advanced tab, Advanced left menu, Wireless Settings
  3. Set CTS/RTS Threshold to 2347 for both 2.4hz and 5Ghz networks
  4. Press Apply
Message 3 of 5
Phyber
Luminary

Assign a separate SSID/pw to the Guest Network and point your 2.4GHz devices to that. I have the AX4200 system but use Ring devices, and that works fine. When we had Nest products, I did the same thing and it works just fine with an older Orbi system. In fact, all of our IoT 2.4GHz devices use the Guest network.

Message 4 of 5
plemans
Guru

What modem/gateway is the router actually connected to? 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7