Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Help with install

gwn_gnx
Aspirant

Help with install

I have an older ORBI (RBR20) and I just bought a new ORBI (RBR750).  I have two questions.  First relates to the app.  Since I alread have the app and the old router on the app, how will I handle the initial install?  Do I have to delete my old system from the app?  Or, can I just add the new components and have them both until I retire the old reouter/satellites.  Which relates to my second question.  Can I have both routers running at the same time until I retire the old system.  My plan is to use a new SSID and Password so I'd like to keep the old system running until I get everthing switched over. 

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Help with install

@gwn_gnx wrote:

I have an older ORBI (RBR20) and I just bought a new ORBI (RBR750).  I have two questions.  First relates to the app.  Since I alread have the app and the old router on the app, how will I handle the initial install?  Do I have to delete my old system from the app?  No.

Or, can I just add the new components and have them both until I retire the old reouter/satellites. Yes, select add new product in the app or use a wired PC and web browser and setup the new system that way. 

Which relates to my second question.  Can I have both routers running at the same time until I retire the old system. You'll need to probably retire the older system, however keep it in case something happens or backup.

My plan is to use a new SSID and Password so I'd like to keep the old system running until I get everthing switched over. Yes, you can definately use same SSID name and password on new system. 

Message 2 of 9
gwn_gnx
Aspirant

Thank you for the quick response.  To clarify, I'm trying to NOT keep the old SSID and Pasword.  I understand that If I just kept the old SSID and PSWD, life would be easier, but I'd like to refresh my sytem and security so I want to change that.  Which is what creates my problem.  I'd like to keep the old system running at the same time as the new system until I can get everything switched over.  Which may take a couple days (I'm retired and don't want to work to hard 🙂 ).  Is that possible?  Or will there be interference/conflicts.

Message 3 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

@gwn_gnx wrote:

I understand that If I just kept the old SSID and PSWD, life would be easier, but I'd like to refresh my sytem and security so I want to change that.  Which is what creates my problem.  I'd like to keep the old system running at the same time as the new system until I can get everything switched over.

For 20 years I have given each new WiFi system exactly the same SSID/password as the one being replaced.  I do not relish the thought of reconfiguring 40-odd WiFi devices.  Computers, phones, laptops, tablets are "no problem."  But all those security cameras, speakers, smart plugs, thermostats, irrigation controllers, security system. None of them have keyboards or screens.  Getting them on the network the first time was time-consuming.  Moving them to a new network??? 

An additional benefit is if I want to "go back". That is a simple "unplug one router. plug in the other." and all devices connect automatically.

If you are determined to transition there are two main issues:

• Having two systems on at the same time.
  • Do you want devices to keep the same IP address they had before?

This can be done as long as the existing ISP device is a combination modem/router.  If it is a "modem only", then the two Orbi's can be on-line at the same time, but the IP assignment will be an issue.

What ISP device is the Orbi connected to?

Message 4 of 9
gwn_gnx
Aspirant

I don't know what ISP device I have.  In laymen's terms, I have a modem from Spectrum and that plugs directly into the ORIB.  And, because you made me look, I think you just drew an end to my desired approach.  The modem only has one ethernet out.  So I'm not sure I could even plug in two routers.  So much for that.  Thanks - that's why I'm asking before I shut anything down.

I think my next best option is to configure the guest SSID with my old network and password and move everything over from there as I get to it.  As you said, the computers and tv's and phones and such are easy.  It's the other things with no screen and their own app . . .

Thanks for the help.

Message 5 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

@gwn_gnx wrote:

I think my next best option is to configure the guest SSID with my old network and password and move everything over from there as I get to it.  As you said, the computers and tv's and phones and such are easy.  It's the other things with no screen and their own app .

Good plan.

Before you "take the plunge", have you used the Orbi LAN Setup table to assign IP addresses to specific devices by MAC address?

If not. Go for it!

If you have, I recommend printing out that table.  When you switch routers,

• Give the new router your "new WiFi name and password."
  • Do not enable the Guest WiFi for a few minutes,
  • First, go into the Orbi Advanced Tab and enter those IP assignments.
  • Then enable the Guest WiFi with the previous SSID/password.
Message 6 of 9
gwn_gnx
Aspirant

No, I have never assigned IP addresses.  I believe they are assigned automatically and my guess is that they change as determined by the router.  Maybe after I get everything on the new router/SSID, I'll look into assigning IP addresses.  If there's a benefit to assigning them before/during the install, please let me know.

Message 7 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

There is absolutely no need to assign IP addresses.  Being just a tad OCD, I want things "organized". (my smart plugs all together. my security cameras all together. my smat speakers all together.  etc. etc.  I like knowing that my printer will always be 192.168.1.4.)

Do the router or any of the devices care?  Not a chance.

Message 8 of 9
gwn_gnx
Aspirant

Thanks for the input.  Will be starting the project tomorrow.  I'm sure this helped.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7