Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How can I get our Orbi RBK75 to send messages via its Ethernet ports?

jc1742
Aspirant

How can I get our Orbi RBK75 to send messages via its Ethernet ports?

We have some Ethernet-only gadgets, which worked with our old Apple Airport router (plus an old, Netgear Ethernet router), but don't work with our new Orbi RBK75 (with or without the Ethernet router).  I'm guessing that something's not configured right.   We've only had the Orbi for a few days, and it only got configured to do wifi this morning, so we don't know the Netgear terminology very well yet.  Is there any documentation on how to configure this?  Does anyone have suggestions for things to try?

(I did try several different CAT cables, and none of them worked, though they all work with some other gadgets we have. Part of the reason we went with this model is its 3 extra Ethernet ports, which we thought were there for what we're trying to do.)

Message 1 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: How can I get our Orbi RBK75 to send messages via its Ethernet ports?

When Orbi systems leave the factory, Netgear assigns a WiFi name (SSID) to each system that consists of the letters "ORBI" plus a two digit number.  This is so customers can unbox the thing, plug it in, and use it without configuring anything at all.  They seem to hoping that no two neighbors will purchase systems with the identical WiFi names.  (other manufacturers do similar things)

It would help to know the product number from the label on the bottom of the router.

Also, what sort of device needs to be connected?

Message 2 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

p.s. Netgear provides 90 days of 'complimentary support' with a new purchase. After creating a Netgear account and registering the system, there is a link on this page to Contact Support: www.netgear.com/support 

Those of us who saw our 90 days expire years ago are jealous of you guys who can actually call Netgear.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

What are these Ethernet Gadgets that you have?

Have you tried contacting the Mfr for these gagets to see if they have any help and support information regarding getting them conencted? 

For additional LAN ports one can always add a GB ethernet switch to the back of the RBR for additonal ports if needed. They come in 5, 8, 16, 24 and higher combinations. I recommend NGs GS 105/108 series thats unmanaged. 

CAT6 lan cable is recommended. 

@jc1742 wrote:

We have some Ethernet-only gadgets, which worked with our old Apple Airport router (plus an old, Netgear Ethernet router), but don't work with our new Orbi RBK75 (with or without the Ethernet router).  I'm guessing that something's not configured right.   We've only had the Orbi for a few days, and it only got configured to do wifi this morning, so we don't know the Netgear terminology very well yet.  Is there any documentation on how to configure this?  Does anyone have suggestions for things to try?

(I did try several different CAT cables, and none of them worked, though they all work with some other gadgets we have. Part of the reason we went with this model is its 3 extra Ethernet ports, which we thought were there for what we're trying to do.)

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7