Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How can I match the firmware between the two when the latest firmware

sheppp
Star

How can I match the firmware between the two when the latest firmware

RE: "Yes. Just ensure the FW is the same on the RBS as what's loaded on the RBR.":

I, too, am having problems getting my newer RBR760 (router) to recognize an older RBS750 (satellite).

-How can I match the firmware between the two when the latest firmware on Netgear's site for the RBS750 is 4.6.5.14 and the latest firmware for the RBR760 is 6.3.2.4?

-Furthermore, if I can update my RBS750 firmware to that of the RBS760 (6.3.2.4), how can I do this if my RBR760 does not recognize my RBS750?

-Lastly, do you know how many satellites that I can use with the RBR760 (router)

Thanks.

Message 1 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Only FW versions supported for the RBK760 series kit is v6.3.2.4. This goes for both RBR760 and RBS760.

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/rbk763s.aspx#download

I wondering if the RBS750 is not compatible with the RBK760 series system...The 750 series is a different version of FW. Based on v4. The 760 is all v6. 

If you connect the RBS750 to the back of the RBR760, does the RBS750 appear in the RBRs connected devices page at all with a IP address? 

Thought the 760 series isn't listed here, this may give you some information about how many RBS you can connect:

https://kb.netgear.com/000062035/How-many-satellites-can-you-add-to-an-Orbi-WiFi-System

Message 2 of 24
sheppp
Star

I have connected two separate, working RBS750s (older satellites) to the back of the RBR760 (newer router) via ethernet cable, yet, neither show up in the RBR760's connected devices. Furthermore, I did a hardware reset of one of the older satellites to no avail.

The reason that I was wondering about the maximum satellite quantity is because I already have 4 RBS760s (newer satellites) connected to the RBR760 (newer router) - and wondered if perhaps that might be why my RBR760 isn't recognizing the older RBS750s (because 4 satellites might be the max. capacity - but this seems doubtful).

Message 3 of 24
CrimpOn
Guru

@sheppp wrote:

RE: "Yes. Just ensure the FW is the same on the RBS as what's loaded on the RBR.":

I, too, am having problems getting my newer RBR760 (router) to recognize an older RBS750 (satellite).

If "newer" means "purchased less than 90 days ago", then you are entitled to contact Netgear support directly.

It is not entirely clear (to me) what process was used to connect the older RBS750 satellites to the new router.

i.e. Used the "Add a satellite" option on the Orbi web administration menu?

On the original Orbi systems, many users connected up to six satellites to a single router, but ran into a 'situation' with the process because it was designed to display only three satellites at a time.  The workaround was to:

• Temporarily power off one of the existing satellites.
  • Ignore the message on the Attached Devices screen, "Satellite missing. Want to delete it?"  (No, No, No.)
  • Add the new satellite.
  • After the new satellite is working, power up the original satellite. Voila!  Now there are four.
  • To add the fifth satellite, two had to be powered off. Follow the process.  Power all back on.
  • To add the sixth satellite, three had to be powered off.

It was a limitation on the "Add a satellite web code".  The Attached Devices page was happy to show all of them.

Message 4 of 24
sheppp
Star

Thanks for the assistance and detailed instructions! Thus far, I'm not getting any sync love connecting the older satellite with the new router - even after disconnecting one of the newer satellites. Yes, I purchased the new router(s) yesterday. Thus, I will reach out to the Netgear "support" team. Hopefully it will be a better experience than when I dealt with them several years ago re my RBR50. I will keep you posted re my findings when I get some more time in the next day or so to call them.

Message 5 of 24
CrimpOn
Guru

Almost everyone who comes to the forum does so because their 90 days are long past (mine was over a year).

I would love to hear "how it goes".

• Do they seem "aware" of this new product?
  • Do they seem to understand what you are asking?
  • Do they seem knowledgeable?
  • Do they refer to documentation?
  • If they offer to "get back to you", does that happen?

Good Luck

Message 6 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

IF you already have 4 RBS along with the RBR, then maybe thats all that is needed.

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

I have a feeling the the RBS750 series will not work with the 760 series system. 

@sheppp wrote:

I have connected two separate, working RBS750s (older satellites) to the back of the RBR760 (newer router) via ethernet cable, yet, neither show up in the RBR760's connected devices. Furthermore, I did a hardware reset of one of the older satellites to no avail.

The reason that I was wondering about the maximum satellite quantity is because I already have 4 RBS760s (newer satellites) connected to the RBR760 (newer router) - and wondered if perhaps that might be why my RBR760 isn't recognizing the older RBS750s (because 4 satellites might be the max. capacity - but this seems doubtful).

Message 7 of 24
sheppp
Star

Bottom Line (according to Netgear tech "support"):  The ONLY satellite that connects with the RBR760 (router) is the RBS760. In other words, the RBS750 is incompatible with the RBR760. Furthermore, Netgear does NOT currently sell individual (separate) RBS760 satellites.

Blow-by-blow tech "support" experience (88 wasted minutes that I'll never get back):

Netgear customer "support" continues to be anything but that. I was reminded during my numerous calls and transfers as to the reason why I am still NOT a fanboy of Netgear.

1. I spoke with five individuals. All were non-native English speakers who were difficult to understand, especially since all were providing "support" from environments in which there lots of LOUD background noise, with women and children talking/yelling, as well as lots of birds/animals, and strange music.
  2. The total time that I spent on the phone was 88 minutes.
  3. The first tech support lady that I spoke with initially told me that the new RBR760 (router) and older RBS750 (satellite) are incompatible, but then spent the next 15 minutes confirming it with her tech up-chain spiritual master. 
  4. When I asked if I could purchase a single RBS760 satellite, I was told that I could do so but that I would need to be transferred to "Sales". Following the transfer, and brief conversation, the sales lady told me that she was actually in the "pre-sales" department (and could not help me) - and that I needed to contact "Sales" directly. She could not transfer me, but provided me with a toll -free number to the sales department.
  5. When I called the new number and worked my way through the prompts, I eventually spoke with somebody else in tech support. This person then transferred me to "Sales".
  6. When the sales person finally answered the line, she told me that the RBS760 was unavailable individually and that I would have to purchase another router/satellite combo set to get another satellite. She told me to call a retail store to attempt to locate an individual RBS760 (BTW, locating one is impossible via anything other than EBAY - based on my numerous Google searches).
  7. After hanging up with the sales lady, I re-contacted tech support to find out how many satellites an RBR760 (router) can handle. This tech support dude was very direct, almost to the point of being rude. He recommended that I connect no more than 4 satellites to the RBR760 (and attempted to convince me that a max of 3 would actually be best). Furthermore, when I mentioned the incompatibility problem between the RBR760 and the RBS750, he told me that the previous tech support info that I received was wrong - and that I COULD in fact connect the RBS750 to the RBR760. We spent the next 58 minutes attempting to do just that - with NO success. He then took my phone number, promised to talk to his higher-up ORBI guru about the matter, and return my call. If he calls back, I plan to book a plane to Vegas and put all of my life's savings on red - after which I will use a portion of my winnings to hire a full-time tech support wizard to deal with my wireless network issues for the remainder of my life. One thing I won’t be doing with my prize money is spending any of it on additional Orbi products.

Fortunately, I purchased my Orbis from Costco. Thus, I can return them at any time - and likely will do so. In fact, if it weren't for Costco's fantastic return policy - and the fact that they carry Orbis - I would have never purchased another Netgear product. This said, I have looked at Orbi alternatives and all seem to have their issues.

As for the question re why I need so many Orbi satellites:

I have a couple of VPN access points that must be connected directly to ethernet ports (no wireless) in areas of my house in which there are no ethernet jacks. Therefore, I can simply place an Orbi satellite in each area and connect the VPN access points directly to the back of each satellite. I then can plug my computers directly into the ethernet ports on the access points.

Thanks much for all of your ideas and assistance - and best of luck navigating the rat hole that is Netgear! 

Message 8 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck.

Message 9 of 24
Thalador
Apprentice

Are you seeing any of the issues with the 763 with regards to not being able to get to the admin page like the 753/853s are having?

Message 10 of 24
sheppp
Star

I am using the web interface (not the Orbi app) and have had no problems with that at all once I turned my new router into an access point. Since I run my Orbi as an access point - and not a router (I use my Ziply modem/router as my primary router) - I had to connect the new Orbi directly to a non-networked computer first to change the router in access point on one of the settings screens. Once I did that, I could then add the Orbi to my network. Of course finding info from Netgear re doing this is pretty much non-existent - which seems strange because I assume that lots of people might want to use a modem/router combo that they get from their cable company (without using it as a bridge).
Message 11 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

You can find lots of help and information in NGs knowledge base articles:

kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point

Lots of existing information there...

Message 12 of 24
sheppp
Star

Thanks for the tip/link. I tried that, but still had problems (perhaps because I had my older Orbi still connected to the network). Regardless, through trial and error I found that converting a new Orbi router to an access point via a standalone non-networked computer worked great.
Message 13 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 14 of 24
sheppp
Star

I'm a bit confused. My original problem of connecting an RBS750s (older satellites) to a RBR760 (newer router) was never resolved - and, from the sounds of it may never be without some sort of firmware upgrade. Thus, I don't consider the matter to be solved.

Despite being Netgear customer for quite a while (and have had to put up with numerous firmware issues with my two original R7000s), I don't post often. Thus, if I'm missing something, please feel free to let me know.

Regardless, I sincerely appreciate your input/assistance!

Message 15 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

It was referencing your setting up of the 760 series. Sorry If I jumped the gun. 
I don't believe the RBS750 series is compatible with the 760 series. 

You could contact NG support and check on this since you have the new 760 series and see what they say. 

Message 16 of 24
CrimpOn
Guru

@sheppp wrote:

My original problem of connecting an RBS750s (older satellites) to a RBR760 (newer router) was never resolved - and, from the sounds of it may never be without some sort of firmware upgrade. Thus, I don't consider the matter to be solved.

So true.  Two attempts with Netgear suport produced conflicting information (compatible, not compatible) and the person who claimed it was compatible was not successful at adding it.  Maybe a third try would "break the tie"?

What seems obvious is often not so when it comes to Netgear.

I am really puzzled by the firmware numbering, i.e. the jump from v4... to v6...  What happened to v5?

A lot of the time forum questions can be answered by someone on the forum who has already faced the situation and can report the outcome. This new 760 product just sort of "appeared" at Costco and my guess is that none of the regular participants on the forum have any experience with it at all.

Orbi is also discussed on a forum at Reddit. Maybe someone there?

Message 17 of 24
Mikey94025
Hero

@sheppp wrote:

As for the question re why I need so many Orbi satellites:

I have a couple of VPN access points that must be connected directly to ethernet ports (no wireless) in areas of my house in which there are no ethernet jacks. Therefore, I can simply place an Orbi satellite in each area and connect the VPN access points directly to the back of each satellite. I then can plug my computers directly into the ethernet ports on the access points.

Yes, the Orbi satellite is useful because besides extending the mesh coverage of your home network they also provide ethernet jacks for wired devices (i.e., serve as a wireless bridge).

Another option - If you do not need to extend your mesh coverage then it is cheaper to simply purchase a dedicated wireless bridge device.  Any vendor will do, in the same way that any manufacturer's wireless device will work with your Orbi home nework.  Netgear's own WAX206 device supports AX and will be cheaper than an additional Orbi AX satellite: https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Wireless-WAX206-Dual-Band-Ethernet/dp/B098BRF91P

Message 18 of 24
sheppp
Star

Thanks! 

Re CrimpOn's suggestion that I call Netgear a third time "break the tie":  As much as I am tempted to do so, I'm fairly certain that it wouldn't help - and would merely suck up more time that I don't have. I already spent loads of time attempting to get both to connect by myself and with the second Netgear tech that I dealt with - to no avail. Since second guy never called me back, my strong hunch is that the first set of techs were correct in their assessments that RBS750s (older satellites) will not connect to RBR760s. I also cancelled my flight to Vegas.

Re Mikey94025:  I like your idea of using separate WAX206s. I noticed elsewhere that it seems that their latest firmware lets them be used as client bridges for my dedicated ethernet devices. I'll order one and try it out. The downside is that it keeps me in the Netgear environment ...

Message 19 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

So just FYI. I got information regarding compatibility. The RBS750s are not compatible with the 760 series. 

Sorry. 

Message 20 of 24
sheppp
Star

Hey @Mikey94025,

I got a WAX206 from Amazon yesterday. After upgrading the firmware, I connected it in wireless "bridge" mode to my Orbi and turned off the wifi on the WAX206 (the original firmware does not include bridge mode). I can connect my wife's work VPN access point directly via ethernet cable to the back of the WAX206. It seems to work well. I didn't test the speeds but it is good enough to get nice A/V via MS Teams and have access to the files that she needs. The only slight negative is that it looks as if Netgear uses recycled plastic from dollar store toys to make them. Furthermore, the base of it is hollow with no place to mount rubber feet to keep the thing from sliding around. In other words, the Orbi has a much better external build quality.

Thanks again! Since the WAX206 was under $100, you saved me a bit of cabbage - and the hassle of somehow finding another solo RBS760 and getting it connected!! 

Message 21 of 24
globespy
Apprentice

Would you recommend the RBK763S as a new system where I only need to replace the current RBK53 units that were irreparably damaged by forced FW updates that I did not either need nor want?

Costco will take back my 3+ year old RBK53, so can replace with the RBK763 they have in stock, but I'm quite frankly tired of wasting days on end trying to just use the frickin internet without running around the house resetting units every other day.

Like you if it wasn't for Costco's return policy I would not even entertain another Netgear product at this stage.

Message 22 of 24
sheppp
Star

@globespy 

I'm no expert, but IMO, definitely YES! 

I, too had an RBK53 - and went through a couple of bad satellites. This is when I learned firsthand (and extensively) about the lack of Netgear's customer care.

Furthermore, I still run Chromecast Audio and was experiencing problems with a couple of JBL Portable speakers that wouldn't work properly in the RBK53 environment - despite the fact that my other Chromecast Audio devices were working fine. At the time, I blamed the problem on the JBLs - and spent loads of time attempting to resolve it, to no avail. When Costco began carrying the RBK753s, I upgraded to that system - because I knew that Costco would take it back if I had problems. The RBK753 magically fixed my JBL Chromecast Audio problem (why, I haven't a clue).

Shortly after I purchased my RBK753, Costco stopped carrying it and began selling the RBK763. Since I was a bit suspicious as to why Costco quickly moved on from the RBK753, I upgraded to the 763 when it went on coupon (a week or so ago). I didn't realize when I purchased the 763 that only Costco sells this model. Everybody else continues to sell the 753 (or variation). Thus, perhaps Costco cut some kind of a deal with Netgear to do so exclusively. Of course, the problem with this is that if you want to purchase an extra RBS760 (satellite), you won't be able to do so unless you purchase the 3-piece combo that Costco offers - and you do so prior to Costco not carrying it any longer. Furthermore, as noted previously in this thread, no other model of Netgear satellite is compatible with the 763. Of course, you can always return the 763 to Costco if you run into this issue of locating an RBS760 in the future, however, it is a hassle to continually set up updated networks.

Bottom line: I looked into alternative mesh systems and found that there are lots of people griping about every single one of them. Thus, I have decided to stick with Netgear (RBK763) for a number of reasons (the biggest being that I can return it to Costco, if necessary). I have been running it with four satellites (yes, I combined two systems) and it has done a great job over the past week of providing excellent coverage throughout my 3200 sf house. My hunch is that you will be happy with the upgrade, too - as long as you don't have to deal with Netgear's "customer support"!

Message 23 of 24
JStevensJWSP
Aspirant

So, I'm throwing a wrench into the compatibility of rbs 750 with the rbk763 system.

The overall concensus is no its not. Howwever, I'm able to see my rbs750 (attached via ethernet cable to the rbr760) listed in my attached devices when logging into my router main page. Curious if that means it does indeed work?

I'll attempt to connect my laptop directly to the satellite later and see what's what.
Message 24 of 24
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 23 replies
  • 10 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7