Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How do I enable my smart plugs to connect to the dual band WiFi

Mickeytheone
Aspirant

How do I enable my smart plugs to connect to the dual band WiFi

I have just installed the Orbi 853 system and it is broadcasting a dual band 5/2.4 ghz WiFi signal - my Amazon and how-link smart plugs need to be able to see an independent 2.4 signal in order to be set up. What do I do, please?

Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: How do I enable my smart plugs to connect to the dual band WiFi

IF there only 2.4Ghz supporting, they will only connect to the 2.4Ghz signal, so they should auto connect to the SSID name and PW used on the RBR system. 

Try disabling AX mode on the RBR. 

Contact the mfr about connecting there devices to wifi routers. 

Message 2 of 5
Mikey94025
Hero

@Mickeytheone wrote:

I have just installed the Orbi 853 system and it is broadcasting a dual band 5/2.4 ghz WiFi signal - my Amazon and how-link smart plugs need to be able to see an independent 2.4 signal in order to be set up. What do I do, please?

Yes, you should have no problems connecting your 2.4Ghz devices to your Orbi system.  As long as the setup process does not rely upon your phone's wireless connection (which will likely be 5Ghz) then you should be fine.

Many devices let you configure them by first connecting to them via Bluetooth or their own wifi SSID, then they list the SSIDs they see (which will all be 2.4Ghz) and ask you to select one and enter its password.  This method works with Orbi.

Message 3 of 5
Mickeytheone
Aspirant

Further to my question, turns out everything was actually okay.

In my house I have the tp-link and one Amazon plug and also a Siemens tumble drier and an Aria Fitbit scale, all working on 2.4ghz - having tried to connect the tp-link plugs and failed, I tried the Amazon plug and low and behold it worked!!! Then did the tp-link plugs and they worked too. Then did the Aria, success!! Then did the Siemens, which was much more complicated using Home Connect, and it worked too.

It seems that, actually, the Orbi 853 system was able to identify what the different devices require to connect to and match it - great relief in my house!!!!!

Instructions to turn on the lights work again and the scales tell the Fitbit app about my weight - well done Netgear!!

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear, Glad its all working. Be sure to make a backup configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.

Please mark your thread and solved so others will know.

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7