Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How to connect gadgets close to devices

anayasaad
Follower

How to connect gadgets close to devices

Hello, dear community I have a router RBR750 placed on frist floor and the satellite on ground floor... Some of my items closest to the satellite that are connected to the router... How do you get items closest to either the router or satellite to connect to that particular item????

Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

The device themselves (phone/tablet/etc) are what decided to roam based off their own protocol. 

It isn't something you can force. 

You can optimize by making sure the router is at least 30 ft away from the satellite. 

If you're home isn't large enough, you can try decreasing the wifi broadcast strength a bit to see if it'll help with roaming. 

Message 2 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

There is anecdotal evidence that device software varies tremendously in terms of reviewing WiFi access points and switching to a 'better connection' when it appears.  Devices that are expected to be mobile often have very sophisticated software that constantly evaluates WiFi access points and switches rapidly.  Devices that are expected to remain stationary often appear to connect to the first access point that they find and quit looking. It is also pretty clear that after a power failure, when the Orbi system restarts, the various units do not all begin sending out 'Beacon Frames' at the same instant.

There is an experiment you can try:  On the device that is not connected to the access point that seems optimal, power off the device and then power it back on.  Or, for devices that do not actually shut down when 'turned off', go into the wireless setup, forget the Orbi SSID, then connect again.  (Phones and Laptops typically have a 'forget' option.  Other appliances may not.  In that case, attempt to connect to a different SSID and 'fail' because you cannot enter a valid password. Then connect to the Orbi SSID.)

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@anayasaad wrote:

Hello, dear community I have a router RBR750 placed on frist floor and the satellite on ground floor... Some of my items closest to the satellite that are connected to the router... How do you get items closest to either the router or satellite to connect to that particular item????

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7