Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to connect outsiders to my web server (using Orbi RBK75)

jc1742
Aspirant

How to connect outsiders to my web server (using Orbi RBK75)

We just got a new Orbi RBK75, and after a few hour help with tech support, it's working, but only for us connecting to the outside world.  But our "home business" has a web server that's now offline, because attempted connections from the outside world are blocked.  I've been looking for info on how to configure it to handle this, and so far I've found nothing.  Anyone know how it's done?

(It was to replace an old Apple Airport router, which had a way to pass all connections to our IP address were passed to what they call a "default host" internal machine.  But all companies call this something different, so we can't guess what it might be called in Netgear terminology.)

Message 1 of 2
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: How to connect outsiders to my web server (using Orbi RBK75)

@jc1742 wrote:

But our "home business" has a web server that's now offline, because attempted connections from the outside world are blocked.

There are several methods to accomplish this, depending on what type of ISP equipment the Orbi is connected to.

If the ISP provides only a modem (not a combination modem/router/wifi device) then the Orbi web browser interface provides a means to forward a port to the web server.  This is on the Advanced Tab, Advanced Settings, Port Forwarding.  Any attempt to connect to the TCP port used by the web server (usually 80 or 443) will result in the connection being passed to the web server to handle.

An alternative which is similar to how the Apple Airport was described, is to put the web server in the Orbi router DMZ, which can be done on the Advanced Tab, Setup Menu, WAN Setup.  Every packet that comes into the Orbi router will be echoed to the web server.

If the ISP provides a combination device, the situation is more complicated because this creates two routers in a row, which is commonly called a Double NAT.  If the Apple router was working previously, then either the ISP device was probably not a router and either of the two options should work.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7