Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

I've experienced the same magenta light double reboots with daily frequency

00_Jenn
Star

I've experienced the same magenta light double reboots with daily frequency

Mine now SAYS I have multiple day uptime, it I've experienced the same magenta light double reboots with daily frequency. The only difference for me is that the debug page no longer registers these.

Message 1 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: I've experienced the same magenta light double reboots with daily frequency

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Message 2 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

@00_Jenn wrote:

the debug page no longer registers these.

Are you saying that the debug page indicates that the router has been "up" longer than the time since the magenta light appeared?

A magenta ring light indicates loss of internet, not a reboot. Try this: disconnect the Internet (WAN) cable.  Within a short time, the ring light will turn magenta.  The system will remain "up", but no devices will be able to reach the internet.  Plug the cable back in, and in a short time the magenta ring light will disappear.

Message 3 of 11
TC_in_Montana
Virtuoso

@00_Jenn 

Like @CrimpOn said - if you are getting the magenta light and the router says you have multiple days up, then it isn't rebooting but rather having a loss of internet.

I faced this earlier in the year and found that it was my modem that was rebooting.  Because of the lack of useful lights on my ISP provided modem, it was difficult to tell that it was rebooting.   Since I get my phone and internet through my ISP (and same modem), the one way I could tell that it was the modem was that my phone went dead as well (no dial-tone).

Of course, calling the ISP always resulted in the same response - we tested your line and it is fine.  Of course it was - because it was tested after the modem rebooted.  It wasn't a line problem, it was a modem problem.

My issue was with a Hitron E31N2V1 provided by Spectrum (aka Charter).    I took the modem into the Spectrum store - they swapped it out for a Technicolor E31T2V1 and I haven't had another modem reboot since January.

Can you let us know what type of modem you have?   Brand/model number?   

Message 4 of 11
00_Jenn
Star

My issues started early-mid May at the same time as the "bad" firmware that was pushed. I lost access to my interface at that time and cursed Spectrum, only to find it was my Orbi having the issues. I've since worked with both Netgear support and Christine directly, and have resolved all but the magenta light / "reboot" that happens. It's the EXACT same symptoms as before but nowhere debug log shows my system has been "up" through it, whereas before, when I would get the magenta light, my system uptime would reset. This change happened when I got the seal package -2 applied.

Current firmware version: 4.6.8.5_2.1.19. I have not performed a factory reset and am very much trying to avoid doing so, since I have cameras etc installed that might involve climbing to re-setup.
ISP: Spectrum; Modem: Arris TM1602A
Home size: 1700 sq ft; satellites are ~40ft from the router, one is on the ground floor, one upstairs, and one in an outbuilding at the back of the yard. I've since unplugged that one in hopes that might solve something.
Channels: auto and 48
Yes, wifi neighbors, approx 6 in range but only 2 with half decent signal strength for me.

As I mentioned above, my initial inclination was to curse Spectrum for the "outages" I thought I was having. Then I found the Reddit thread and subsequently the threads here, regarding the fw issue. I didn't experience any of these problems prior to the fw release, and since I installed the new fw, I have run to my modem when these magenta lights happen, and see no change in the lights on my modem. Of course I understand that doesn't necessarily mean it's not Spectrum. It's worth noting however, that I also lose connectivity to my LAN and the orbi system itself when these magenta light events happen. If it were simply a Spectrum issue, my connectivity to Orbi should not be affected - I should be able to see my system and the message that would say I'm not connected to the internet.

Thanks for your response - I appreciate the time you and the other superusers and admins have committed to solving these issues.
Message 5 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

For that size of home, you only need the RBR and 1 RBS. Having too much in that size of home can cause problems. 

I would try manual channel 1 and 40. 

If you factory reset the RBR and RBS and use same SSID name and PW, your devices should reconnect with out having to touch them. 

Let see what happens with 1 less RBS for now. 

Message 6 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

@00_Jenn wrote:
 I have not performed a factory reset and am very much trying to avoid doing so, since I have cameras etc installed that might involve climbing to re-setup.

As long as the system is configured with exactly the same WiFi SSID/password, a Factory Reset should not require climbing.  I have kept the same WiFi SSID/password through several changes of routers and multiple Factory Resets, and my devices automatically reconnect when the WiFi signal reappears.

I would first try a 'quick' Factory Reset.  i.e.

• Navigate to the Advanced Tab, Administration Menu, Backup Settings.
  • Save a copy of the configuration to your computer.
  • Click the Revert to Factory Default button "Erase".
    (This will remove all user configuration and the router will reboot.)
  • Connect the web browser to the router again. The credentials will be "admin" and "password".
  • Go through the configuration, remembering to
    • NOT change the WiFi SSID/password from the default printed on the product label.
      (You do NOT want devices grabbing IP addresses before you have a chance to set up the system.)
    • NOT sign up for anything. NOT click on any offer to Register the system.
    • Keep going until you get to a page that offers two choices:
      • Configure the system or
      • Load a saved configuration.
        (This is where the magic happens.)
  • Load that saved configuration, the router will reboot, and everything is restored.  Magic.

For my system, entering all of the configuration from scratch takes over two hours of mind numbing, typo-ridden effort.

Doing a Factory Reset with a saved configuration takes less time than it took to read this. Certainly under 10 minutes.

Message 7 of 11
00_Jenn
Star

I unplugged my 2nd satellite a few days ago and nothing has changed. I should have been more clear on its position though - the one in the house on the 2nd floor is about 40ft from the router but the 2nd satellite was much more than 40ft away, in my workshop at the back of the property which is 7500 sq ft. I'll eventually want to reconnect that for better signal strength there once I get this issue narrowed down.

I'll give the channel thing a try and then will do the factory reset if all else fails.

One thing I noticed since I've enabled logging - my router appears to be assigning something a 192.168.2.x address. It's assigned to a MAC address I don't see in my attached devices list. I thought it was strange enough that I changed my DHCP range to 192.168.1.100-254 and rebooted all devices. That same MAC address I see in my logs now has a different 192.167.2.x address, this time in the 100+ range. My subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 so I'm confused as to why anything would have a .2.x IP address?

Examples:
[DHCP IP: (192.168.1.41)] to MAC address , Wednesday, Jun 29,2022 21:12:38
[DHCP IP: (192.168.2.3)] to MAC address , Wednesday, Jun 29,2022 20:55:13
[DHCP IP: (192.168.1.41)] to MAC address , Wednesday, Jun 29,2022 20:22:04

DHCP IP: (192.168.2.100)] to MAC address, Thursday, Jun 30,2022 15:54:57
[DHCP IP: (192.168.1.109)] to MAC address , Thursday, Jun 30,2022 15:46:52
[DHCP IP: (192.168.1.104)] to MAC address  Thursday, Jun 30,2022 15:45:01
[DHCP IP: (192.168.1.108)] to MAC address , Thursday, Jun 30,2022 15:29:28
[DHCP IP: (192.168.1.113)] to MAC address , Thursday, Jun 30,2022 15:20:47

Message 8 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

The Orbi AX models assign devices connected to the Guest WiFi IPs starting with 192.168.2

Message 9 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

FYI,

Please edit out any MAC address information before posting in public forums for security reasons. 

@00_Jenn 

Message 10 of 11
00_Jenn
Star

@CrimpOn ah thank you!! I use the guest network only for my dogs' whistle devices and the batteries on those have been dead for weeks except one, which must be the mystery IP. Phew, one issue resolved, thanks again!

@FURRYe38 copy re MAC addresses, thanks!
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7