Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

IPhone showing as a satellite on Network Map of Orbi app

RDSp
Tutor

IPhone showing as a satellite on Network Map of Orbi app

I posted the following on the “general Orbi” forum but was advised to post it on the Orbi AX forum as well:

We have been using the Orbi RBK750S wifi 6 mesh system for four months. Last week my wife’s iPhone 7 first started showing up as a satellite on the Network Map of the Orbi app. We have 2 satellites but the map shows 3 with one being the iPhone 7. I am not aware of any setting changes to the network or phone. The phone’s personal hotspot is off. The app has had 2 “upgrades” in the past several weeks, the last containing “critical fixes”. Netgear had a major outage recently with login issues. I did not notice the iPhone on the Network Map until after the upgrades and the outage.

As far as I can tell, all devices (including the iPhone 7) and the network are functioning normally. I have the Orbi app loaded on an iPhone 6 and a newer iPad. Both show the same Network Map. The Network Map did not change after turning off and on the iPhone 7/“satellite” and both devices which have the Orbi app. The router firmware is up-to-date.

After I power cycled the system, the map changed slightly (see images).

On the advice of a member of the community, I tried to edit the details of the iPhone 7 under the Network Map, but the only editable entry was the name which is appropriate and does not contain the word satellite. After the power cycling, the device details list the Connection Type as Offline, the Hardware Type as Satellite, the Hardware Version as Xerox Corporation, and the MAC Address as all zeros. I don’t see a way to edit them. I don’t recall these entries prior to the power cycling.

The app was deleted and reinstalled on both devices without any change. I accessed the network via a browser, and all settings look appropriate. I did not perform a factory reset yet because a family member is working from home for the next couple of weeks, and I didn’t want to mess with a working network.

Does anybody have any suggestions? Is this a minor annoyance or a symptom of something more serious?

Message 1 of 4
RDSp
Tutor

Re: IPhone showing as a satellite on Network Map of Orbi app

Device details on app after power cycling:

Connection Type: offline

Hardware Type:  satellite

Hardware Version:  Xerox Corporation

Mac Address:  all zeros

I posted photos ot the Network Maps (prior to and after power cycling) with the entry for the "general orbi" forum, but I am having difficulty posting them with this entry.

Message 2 of 4
RDSp
Tutor

C424F228-31F9-4161-A820-FD418119E8E3.jpegAfter power cycleAfter power cycle,

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Perform a full factory reset on both router and satellite(s) then set up from scratch.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7