Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Intermittent DNS Errors and WiFi Issues

I am currently considering either the ASUS ZenWiFi AX6600 or the Eero Pro 6. Definitely going to go ahead and return this Orbi.

Message 451 of 579
tak1313
Luminary

@energieuses an XT8 as router and Orbi as AP - see his comments a few posts back about how the wifi part works compared to Orbi.  DongKnows also has a writeup about it, and it's on his list as one of the best wifi 6 mesh systems.

Orbi's wifi performance appears to be a little better, but the Asus may work perfectly fine in your situation.

Message 452 of 579

I saw they were pretty unhappy with the XT8. I just need something in my house with comparable speeds and range. Im paying for 200 down so I don't need blazing speeds or anything like that. Just want to get what I pay for via wifi, which is what the Orbi is doing now.

Message 453 of 579
energie
Luminary

No, I am now using my old Asus N66U as router with Orbi AX as AP. The XT8 I stopped using because the AI Mesh wasn't performing good in terms of connectivity. Before this whole ordeal I used to have 2 Asus AC68 routers in AI Mesh (started of with one and expanded), but the AI Mesh experience wasn't good. So in terms of the whole mesh networking I would avoid Asus. However as a single router I can recommend Asus. Long time ago I used to have a Netgear router - complete junk - never again I said to want to use Netgear. The Orbi AX and the good reviews changed my mind to give it another go. And here I am - never again.

Message 454 of 579

That's rough. Netgear lost me as a customer. I loved my nighthawk and after 7 years its finally going bad. I got until the 27th to drop this thing off at Kohls to get a refund so I am sure ill find a replacement for it sooner rather than later.

Message 455 of 579
tak1313
Luminary

If you're happy with the Orbi, keep it.  Not EVERYBODY is having the DNS issue, and some are completely happy with it, just as some are completely unhappy with other brands as well.  It's a crapshoot on everything tech.

Just be aware of POTENTIAL problems that can occur.

It's like buying a car.  ALL car brands/models have deeply satisfied and deeply dissatisfied customers.  Some have frequent/major problems with a specific car, and some have absolutely no problem with the same vehicle for its entire life.

I actually did NOT have the DNS problem before I switched it to AP - I switched it to AP because of the the lack of controls plus QOS problems I was having with my wife's zoom calls that the Orbi could not control because of bufferbloat (completely cured by using the Asus for routing).

Message 456 of 579
stsh
Star

@RockGuitarist1 wrote:

I'm so glad it looks like a ton of other people are having this issue. Guess I need to dig through these 22 pages and hopefully find a solution.

Edit: Sounds like this issue will never get resolved and I am better off returning the ORBI and getting a different brand of Mesh network.

if you're within the return window - send it back and stay away from netgear.

Message 457 of 579
ed-win
Guide

Returned my Netgear Orbi Wifi 6 RBK853 (EUR 1000) and bought the ASUS ZenWiFi AX XT8 (3-pack). It was 36% cheaper, and the router has much more configuration options. It seems like the mesh functionality is not as good as the Orbi, but it performs fine in our situation.

Asus has had some issues with the XT8 system too, especially with the Guest network, but most issues are fixed in the current firmware.

Message 458 of 579
tak1313
Luminary

In my opinion, Netgear REALLY missed the mark on Orbi.  Aside from the firmware/support issues, it's kind of idiotic to come out with such an advanced router, but dumb down the controls so much.

If they're concerned about novices messing with the settings, they can easily make the UI such that there are default "dumb" settings, and perhaps a walled off "advanced" settings section that requires some kind of intentional effort to get to.

A good example of this is the micro/travel routers by Gl-iNet.  They have basic settings to toy with, and in order to get to the more advanced settings (via Luci), you have to click on an "Advanced" option, then log in separately.

Message 459 of 579
stsh
Star

@vajim wrote:

IMHO....they have too many settings....you give people options and they are bound to screw things up.  Heck we still see people buying the Orbi and not understanding the Orbi is a router and you really don't need another router.

Are you saying that customers should not be given options because some of them are too dumb? You can't be serious. 

If the customer doesn't know how to use a product it's really easy -  they should read the manual and learn. Or if they are too lazy to read they can always pay someone else who read the manual. 

Message 460 of 579
msinex
Apprentice

Just a quick update from my side.  About 10 days into shifting the Orbi into AP mode and running a TP Link Archer as a wired router and it has worked flawlessly.  The obvious DNS issues that plagued many of my devices and my work laptop have been completely eliminated.  It has also eliminated some freezing issues I was having with both apps on my AppleTV (HBO Max and other streaming services would sometimes time out and cause me to have to reboot) and errors I was getting in how my WHDVR was working via DirectTV.  I hadn't attributed this before to the Orbi DNS issue, but it apparently was assuming these errors leave.  While still completely flabbergasted that such an expensive mesh system could have such a fundamentally and unaddressed flaw, I'm much happeir with it in AP mode (especially since I couldn't return the damn thing!)

Message 461 of 579
DanoCanuck
Aspirant

So glad I've read this thread. Thankfully I can correct my mistake now. Received my 853 system yesterday and it's going straight back. Not even opening the box, straight back. I'm not going to buy a stand alone router to fix built in problems of the Orbi nor try the work arounds to fix what shouldn't be a problem. Not even going to see if my hardware is good, straight back. What blows my mind more than anything is the lack of NG involvement here. I've used many NG products over the years and have been generally pleased. I'm not going to put up with inherent bugs right out of the box though. Return.  

Message 462 of 579
FURRYe38
Guru

Thats your choice to not try your system. Not everyone sees this problem. Mines working well. Even on recent FW.

NG IS aware of this problem for those that are effected by it. 

Good Luck. 

Message 463 of 579
Validus
Luminary

With the latest firmware and using the 6to4 Tunnel option under the router admin settings, I had no issues.

However, Google Search started popping up a "6to4 Tunnel detected - This is being deprecated warning with a forced captcha puzzle to complete each time.

"We have detected you are using a 6to4 tunnel. 6to4 is deprecated and will be shutdown shortly."

My ISP doesn't support direct IP6 connections, so I disabled the 6to4 Tunnel to get rid of the Google deprecation warning and went back to an IP4 connection.

As soon as doing so, DNS errors started appearing again. So it's clearly only IP4 connections affected (or affected the most).

If you can't do IP6 with your ISP, currently I can not recommend this router Mesh. They won't bother fix it.

Message 464 of 579
FURRYe38
Guru

IPv6 6to4 isn't required to be suported by the ISP to use 6to4 on the router. I've used 6to4 with mine and it works. My ISP doesn't support any native IPv6. 

Message 465 of 579
Validus
Luminary

@FURRYe38 Same, it was what I was originally using to fix this issue as well.

The search engine Google.com, started warning me about using it, if using the Firefox web-browser with DNS over HTTPS (other web-browsers don't seem to show the warning message and required captcha). It's a security risk or some issue with using the 6to4 Tunnel, that it has been Deprecated back in 2015. Google now plans to remove all support for it.

I forgot to take a screenshot of it, but have found one from someone else, see attached. You have to complete that every time you want to use Google search, if using 6to4 Tunnel, with Firefox and DNS over HTTPS. It doesn't appear to be safe or secure to use? It was deprecated due to possible hijacking and spoofing across it.

Message 466 of 579
FURRYe38
Guru

Interesting. Well I don't use Google so I presume other seach engines may work differently. 

Wonder what router mfrs are doing with this. I try and inquire about this and see. 

@Validus wrote:

@FURRYe38 Same, it was what I was originally using to fix this issue as well.

The search engine Google.com, started warning me about using it, if using the Firefox web-browser with DNS over HTTPS (other web-browsers don't seem to show the warning message and required captcha). It's a security risk or some issue with using the 6to4 Tunnel, that it has been Deprecated back in 2015. Google now plans to remove all support for it.

I forgot to take a screenshot of it, but have found one from someone else, see attached. You have to complete that every time you want to use Google search, if using 6to4 Tunnel, with Firefox and DNS over HTTPS. It doesn't appear to be safe or secure to use? It was deprecated due to possible hijacking and spoofing across it.

Message 467 of 579
Ace321
Apprentice

I received a beta firmware for DNS fix. It seems to work so far. No DNS errors yet. If any of you can give me websites which usually produce DNS errors, I can test those as well.

Thanks, 

Message 468 of 579
FURRYe38
Guru

The few times I saw this on mine was here in the forums. This forum and https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/bd-p/Orbi

I use Opera GX browser. 

@Ace321 wrote:

I received a beta firmware for DNS fix. It seems to work so far. No DNS errors yet. If any of you can give me websites which usually produce DNS errors, I can test those as well.

Thanks, 

Message 469 of 579
Ace321
Apprentice

This one works perfectly. No errors.

Message 470 of 579
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear so far. 

To ALL Orbi AX 7 series users having issues with DNS errors, please contact @Christian_R if your interested in testing this beta version of FW for this DNS issue on your 7 series Orbi. 

NG will hopefully be getting the 8 series updated soon as well. No information on this yet. 

Message 471 of 579
FURRYe38
Guru

Do you still have IPv6 6to4 enabled or disabled? Good test on this beta would be no to use 6to4 DNS and use Automatic DNS options on the RBR to see if something appears or not. 

@Ace321 wrote:

Thanks, 

Message 472 of 579
Ace321
Apprentice

I have 6to4 DNS disabled and Automatic DNS options "on"

Message 473 of 579
lof
Guide
Guide

How is the update so far?

Message 474 of 579
Ace321
Apprentice

Stable and no DNS errors. Basically good so far.

Message 475 of 579
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7