Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Intermittent DNS Errors and WiFi Issues

bullm00n
Luminary

@Amcbroom81 wrote:

Just downloaded the new beta firmware for my orbi RBR850. Can someone point me to the correct way to upload and install these software updates? I want to do it right and not mess things up. Thanks for the help! 

Detailed instructions in the NDA link where you download the beta from.

Message 551 of 579
Mstrbig
Master

@Amcbroom81 wrote:

Just downloaded the new beta firmware for my orbi RBR850. Can someone point me to the correct way to upload and install these software updates? I want to do it right and not mess things up. Thanks for the help! 

Manually update satellite firmware We recommend that you update your satellite’s firmware before you update the router’s firmware.
To manually update your satellite’s firmware:
1. Launch a web browser from a computer or mobile device that is connected to your
Orbi network.
2. Enter orbilogin.com.
A login window opens.
3. Enter the router admin user name and password.
The user name is admin. The password is the one that you specified the first time
that you logged in. The user name and password are case-sensitive.
The BASIC Home page displays.
4. Select ADVANCED > Administration > Firmware Update > Manual Update.
The Firmware Update page displays.
5. Select the check box next to your satellite’s model name.
If you have more than one satellite, only update one satellite at a time. You must wait
for the first satellite to finish updating before updating the next satellite.
6. Click the Update button.
Manage Your Network 82 User Manual
Orbi Whole Home Tri-Band Mesh WiFi 6 System
The Orbi satellite Firmware Update window opens.
7. If the browser ask you for the admin password, enter the same password that you
entered for the router.
8. Click the BROWSE button.
9. Locate and select the satellite firmware file that you downloaded.
The firmware file name ends in .img or .chk.
10. Click the UPLOAD button.
It takes a few minutes to complete the process.
11. After Orbi satellite finishes updating, select Status and double-check the firmware
version on the Status page.
The firmware on your Orbi satellite is updated.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Manually update router firmware We recommend that you update your router’s firmware after you update the satellite’s firmware.
WARNING: Make sure that your satellite completes its firmware update before you
update your router’s firmware.
To manually update your router’s firmware:
1. Launch a web browser from a computer or mobile device that is connected to your
Orbi network.
2. Enter orbilogin.com.
A login window opens.
3. Enter the admin user name and password.
The user name is admin. The password is the one that you specified the first time
that you logged in. The user name and password are case-sensitive.
The BASIC Home page displays.
4. Select ADVANCED > Administration > Firmware Update > Manual Update.
The Firmware Update page displays.
5. Click the Browse button.
6. Locate and select the router firmware file you downloaded.
The firmware file name ends in .img.
7. Click the Upload button.
The firmware is updated.

Message 552 of 579
jdk1120
Apprentice

Hi, I've been having this intermittent disconnect issue with my brand new(!) RBR750 router with the latest firmware installed. Every 10 minutes or so, my connection cuts out for ~2 seconds and comes right back. So it doesn't boot me from my Zoom meeting, but rather a lag.

This forum tell me that this is a common problem... I've read through many pages of this forum and can I ask: has there been an agreed-upon solution to this issue?  Would you recommend me returning the device since I'm still within my 3 month window?

Very disappointing as we've all paid a premium (relative to Google or Amazon mesh router) for a premium product...

Message 553 of 579
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

@jdk1120 wrote:

Hi, I've been having this intermittent disconnect issue with my brand new(!) RBR750 router with the latest firmware installed. Every 10 minutes or so, my connection cuts out for ~2 seconds and comes right back. So it doesn't boot me from my Zoom meeting, but rather a lag.

This forum tell me that this is a common problem... I've read through many pages of this forum and can I ask: has there been an agreed-upon solution to this issue?  Would you recommend me returning the device since I'm still within my 3 month window?

Very disappointing as we've all paid a premium (relative to Google or Amazon mesh router) for a premium product...

Message 554 of 579
jdk1120
Apprentice

I have firmware V4.6.3.7_2.0.49 for my RBR750 (RBK753S).  I have Verizon Fios as my ISP but do not know the exact modem number.

Is the beta firmware being discussed an official one (albeit beta mode) from Netgear or a user-created program?  I messaged Christian a few hours ago and hope to receive the beta firmware soon..

Message 555 of 579
FURRYe38
Guru

v4 would have and has been reported as having the DNS fix included in this version. 

If your on v4 then you'll not be able to try v3 official NG beta that was mentioned as v4 seems to prevent users from reverting back to v3. 

Will need to check on your model # of the FIOS unit you have. Need to know if it has a built in router or not. 

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

@jdk1120 wrote:

I have firmware V4.6.3.7_2.0.49 for my RBR750 (RBK753S).  I have Verizon Fios as my ISP but do not know the exact modem number.

Is the beta firmware being discussed an official one (albeit beta mode) from Netgear or a user-created program?  I messaged Christian a few hours ago and hope to receive the beta firmware soon..

Message 556 of 579
jdk1120
Apprentice

I see, that's helpful to know.  I just worked with an Orbi technician and she had me change some settings (DNS address to manual ones, 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4; 2.4ghz channel to 11; Wan MTU size to 1492).  She did acknowledge that many other users are experiencing the same issue as of late.  Hopefully these setting channges do the trick...

Message 557 of 579
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok keep us posted. 

Let us know the model# of the Verizon FIOS when you can.

@jdk1120 wrote:

I see, that's helpful to know.  I just worked with an Orbi technician and she had me change some settings (DNS address to manual ones, 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4; 2.4ghz channel to 11; Wan MTU size to 1492).  She did acknowledge that many other users are experiencing the same issue as of late.  Hopefully these setting channges do the trick...

Message 558 of 579
jdk1120
Apprentice

This issue keeps coming back to me where my Zoom call freezes for 2 seconds every 15 minutes or so. It's not bad enough to prevent me from doing work, but bad enough to significantly affect it.

Has anyone had luck fixing the issue after exchanging it for a new router/satelite?  If Netgear doesn't introduce a firmware patch, I might have to look into returning this router altogether 😞  

Message 559 of 579
FURRYe38
Guru

Please make a new post in regards to your Zoom app problems as this is something different from what this thread is referring too. Most of the DNS issues seen in this thread have been resolved. 

Thank you. 

@jdk1120 wrote:

This issue keeps coming back to me where my Zoom call freezes for 2 seconds every 15 minutes or so. It's not bad enough to prevent me from doing work, but bad enough to significantly affect it.

Has anyone had luck fixing the issue after exchanging it for a new router/satelite?  If Netgear doesn't introduce a firmware patch, I might have to look into returning this router altogether 😞  

Message 560 of 579
jdk1120
Apprentice

Sorry to cause confusion with the Zoom example. It is the whole internet that intermittently cuts out out with the satellite blinking white light and then coming back to lilfe.  The symptom is exactly as others describe with the DNS issue. The issue is that I don't want to manually mess with the IPv6 settings on every device and hoping a solution through a firmware update will emerge (or an alternative fix)...

Message 561 of 579
FURRYe38
Guru

Lets make a new post and we'll help you out there. 

Thank you. 

@jdk1120 wrote:

Sorry to cause confusion with the Zoom example. It is the whole internet that intermittently cuts out out with the satellite blinking white light and then coming back to lilfe.  The symptom is exactly as others describe with the DNS issue. The issue is that I don't want to manually mess with the IPv6 settings on every device and hoping a solution through a firmware update will emerge (or an alternative fix)...

Message 562 of 579
Mikey94025
Hero

@jdk1120 wrote:

Sorry to cause confusion with the Zoom example. It is the whole internet that intermittently cuts out out with the satellite blinking white light and then coming back to lilfe.  The symptom is exactly as others describe with the DNS issue.

Sorry, but no your symptoms are not the same so starting a new thread will help identify your particular issue and receive possible solutions.  The DNS issue did not cause internet disconnects and only impacted DNS queries (mostly seen during web page browsing for new URL domain names, not recently cached).  These browser queries would momentarily fail, then succeed shortly later when the browser automatically retried.  The DNS issue would not cause Zoom cutouts because DNS lookups are not not involved once a Zoom call is setup.  Therefore your issue of intermittent internet connetivity problems is different.

Message 563 of 579
rgautier
Apprentice

Indeed - the DNS issues have been resolved, but the new firmware on my 750 has indeed started with some random reboots - yesterday during a Zoom meeting for me as well.  Hope they find/fix the random reboot, but it is a new issue.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 564 of 579
FURRYe38
Guru

Please make a new post regarding these random boots that are seen on your system and we'll try to help you figure that out. 

Thank you.

@rgautier wrote:

Indeed - the DNS issues have been resolved, but the new firmware on my 750 has indeed started with some random reboots - yesterday during a Zoom meeting for me as well.  Hope they find/fix the random reboot, but it is a new issue.

Message 565 of 579
bullm00n
Luminary

@jdk1120 wrote:

You should return it.  I would do that if I could.  At some point this setup might become reliable if firmware can fix it, but my impression is something is badly wrong and not just the DNS issues.  I had what seemed like fairly stable operation for a while, but now it's just one niggling issue after another to the point I may switch back to my old RBK53 setup and sell this at a loss.  The RBK was not as fast, not as good of range, but far more reliable.

Message 566 of 579
Tobamory
Tutor

Sold my 853 ap mode fine otherwise overpriced junk
Settled on the Ubiquiti Alien mesh been bulletproof and supports 160mhz WiFi result
Message 567 of 579
Amcbroom81
Tutor

Thanks for the help! Will follow these steps and hope my issues go away. Thanks again!
Message 568 of 579
FURRYe38
Guru

DNS issues are fixed in the beta FW. 

@Amcbroom81 wrote:
Thanks for the help! Will follow these steps and hope my issues go away. Thanks again!

Message 569 of 579
Tobamory
Tutor

Guys has this now been released as a proper fix ?

Message 570 of 579

No - it has not been fixed.

Message 571 of 579
FURRYe38
Guru

I have not seen any DNS issues with v16 loaded on my 8 series Orbi nor v14 loaded on my 7 Series Orbi system. 

Message 572 of 579
Tobamory
Tutor

Thanks, I’ll update them this weekend and see how it goes

Message 573 of 579
FURRYe38
Guru

If you do, I recommend that you apply manually, downloading the FW files, applying  to the RBS first, then RBR lastly. After the FW is sent and units are back to ready. Power OFF the ISP modem/ ONT and RBR and RBS for a good 5 minutes, then back on with the ISP device, RBR then RBS. 

See how it goes. 

@Tobamory wrote:
Thanks, I’ll update them this weekend and see how it goes

Message 574 of 579
Mikey94025
Hero

Same here.  My RBR850 system auto-updated to V4.6.3.16 a few weeks ago and I've not seen any of the DNS issues that had frequently appeared to me (until I installed the V3 beta with the fix).

I've also fortunately not had any issues with V4, despite holding back earlier because of problems posted in this forum.

Message 575 of 579
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7