Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Intermittent DNS lookup failures on RBR850

Mstrbig
Master

@GTRdone wrote:

Good advice, FURRYe38!

I followed the steps to enable ipv6: (pilfering some of the text in the links post, thanks to mstrbig:

login to orbilogin.com Advanced, Advanced, IPv6. I setup the following:

6to4 Tunnel,  Remote 6to4 relay Router set to "Auto", IPv6 Domain Name Server (DNS) Address set to "Use These DNS Servers". I chose Cloudflare's IPv6 DNS Servers. IP Address Assignment set to "Auto". T

I tested using test-ipv6-com and it is now getting a score of 16. What I can't get past is this:

"Your router or firewall is filtering ICMPv6 messages sent to your computer. An IPv6 host that cannot receive ICMP messages may encounter problems like some web pages loading partially or not at all."

I am using Zonealarm free firewall and it is set to allow for ipv6 networking, but not sure why that message is being generated.

The bottom line, though, is that the original DNS issues are gone, no more 404 errors, or page load errors.

Try disabling ZoneAlarm and just use Windows Defender, and see if the firewall error goes away. 

Message 76 of 89
GTRdone
Tutor

I disabled ZoneAlarm free firewall completely, and the problem remains the same. Test results:

"Your router or firewall is filtering ICMPv6 messages sent to your computer. An IPv6 host that cannot receive ICMP messages may encounter problems like some web pages loading partially or not at all."

Still have had no issues loading pages!

Message 77 of 89
FURRYe38
Guru

Anyone with a 8 series Orbi having this problem wanna give this a try?

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/New-RBR850-RBS850-Series-Firmware-Version-v3-2-17-12-Releas...

Message 78 of 89
musicbravo
Guide

Ging to have a look at this once my other hal has finished work (Don't want to annoy her). I saw it earlier but noticed it is not showing as available in the ORBI's GUI yet. TBH since turning on 6to4 tunneling the connection has been mostly stable. Any idea what the device notification feature is?

Message 79 of 89
FURRYe38
Guru

Don't know what that is all about. Soon as I get mine loaded up and see what I can find out. 

Message 80 of 89
EruJamin
Aspirant

I have this issue across all my devices after upgrading to the Orbi WiFi 6 system. I get the DNS PROBE FINISHED NXDOMAIN error and the site either eventually comes up or times out. My Orbi WiFi 5 system never had this issue and nothing has changed except swapping out the routers.

Orbi Info.jpg
DNS Issue.jpg

Message 81 of 89
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

@EruJamin wrote:

I have this issue across all my devices after upgrading to the Orbi WiFi 6 system. I get the DNS PROBE FINISHED NXDOMAIN error and the site either eventually comes up or times out. My Orbi WiFi 5 system never had this issue and nothing has changed except swapping out the routers.

Orbi Info.jpg
DNS Issue.jpg

Message 82 of 89
EruJamin
Aspirant

I posted screenshots but they are not showing for some reason

I swapped out my Orbi 5 setup with this system last week and the issue started.

Model Name

RBK853

RBS850 (Additional Satellite)

Firmware

V3.2.18.1

Says no new firmware available when I do online lookup

Noticed you seem to be running a newer version V3.2.18.223

Frontier FIOS Fiber 1gb / 1gb Plan

Router Model

Arrus NVG468MQ

I do not use the provider modem as it is not required with Frontier. I tested with and without it and still had same issue.

I have also tested using different DNS services like CloudFlare and Google Public DNS

Message 83 of 89
FURRYe38
Guru

Send @Christian_R a PM and ask for access to the v223 beta that fixes this issue. 

@EruJamin wrote:

I posted screenshots but they are not showing for some reason

I swapped out my Orbi 5 setup with this system last week and the issue started.

Model Name

RBK853

RBS850 (Additional Satellite)

Firmware

V3.2.18.1

Says no new firmware available when I do online lookup

Noticed you seem to be running a newer version V3.2.18.223

Frontier FIOS Fiber 1gb / 1gb Plan

Router Model

Arrus NVG468MQ

I do not use the provider modem as it is not required with Frontier. I tested with and without it and still had same issue.

I have also tested using different DNS services like CloudFlare and Google Public DNS

Message 84 of 89
n7qnm
Aspirant

I'm seeing exactly the same problem - just tried to contact Premium Support, and their web page is returning "Our problem not yours".  Looks like this has been going on across multiple product lines for at least a year.

Get it right, Netgear!

How about an extension on my Premium Supprort based on your imcompetence

Message 85 of 89
FURRYe38
Guru

Send @Christian_R a PM and ask for access to the v223 beta that fixes this issue.

@n7qnm wrote:

I'm seeing exactly the same problem - just tried to contact Premium Support, and their web page is returning "Our problem not yours".  Looks like this has been going on across multiple product lines for at least a year.

Get it right, Netgear!

How about an extension on my Premium Supprort based on your imcompetence

Message 86 of 89
EruJamin
Aspirant

Haven't heard back from @Christian_R but will keep my fingers crossed and update any successes.
Message 87 of 89
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW version is currently loaded now? 

@EruJamin wrote:
Haven't heard back from @Christian_R but will keep my fingers crossed and update any successes.

Message 88 of 89
EruJamin
Aspirant

Still V3.2.18.1 and reconfirmed there is no latest available to download
Message 89 of 89
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 88 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 12 in conversation
Announcements