Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Intermittent DNS lookup failures on RBR850

Mstrbig
Master

Re: Intermittent DNS lookup failures on RBR850

After working on trying to resolve this, I think I found what needs to be done to stop the intermittant DNS issues.

login to orbilogin.com Advanced, Advanced, IPv6. I setup the following:

6to4 Tunnel,  Remote 6to4 relay Router set to "Auto", IPv6 Domain Name Server (DNS) Address set to "Use These DNS Servers". I chose Google's public IPv6 DNS Servers. IP Address Assignment set to "Auto". Tested using test-ipv6.com

As soon as I correctly setup IPv6, and passed the tests, I no longer see any DNS issues.

Message 51 of 89
FURRYe38
Guru

I presume this is for ISPs that have IPv6 support? 

@Mstrbig wrote:

After working on trying to resolve this, I think I found what needs to be done to stop the intermittant DNS issues.

6to4 Tunnel,  Remote 6to4 relay Router set to "Auto", IPv6 Domain Name Server (DNS) Address set to "Use These DNS Servers". I chose Google's public IPv6 DNS Servers. IP Address Assignment set to "Auto". Tested using test-ipv6.com

As soon as I correctly setup IPv6, and passed the tests, I no longer see any DNS issues.

Message 52 of 89
Mstrbig
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@Mstrbig wrote:

No, this offers IPv6 support using 3rd party 6to4 tunnel public DNS servers like Google and Open. 

My ISP is WOW and they currently do not offer IPv6 support. 

I also forgot to include the final setting. In IPv6 network protocol settings on my PC, I checked IPv6 to "obtain an IPv6 IP address automatically" and checked "used the following DNS servers", and inserted the Google public IPv6 DNS server addresses.

Message 53 of 89
FURRYe38
Guru

So if you set this up for 3rd party IPv6 tunnel, you don't see DNS issues. However, if you disable IPv6 on the RBR and PC enstirely just using IPv4 DNS or auto detect ISP DNS on the RBR, do you see this DNS issue? 

@Mstrbig wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@Mstrbig wrote:

No, this offers IPv6 support using 3rd party 6to4 tunnel public DNS servers like Google and Open. 

My ISP is WOW and they currently do not offer IPv6 support. 

I also forgot to include the final setting. In IPv6 network protocol settings on my PC, I checked IPv6 to "obtain an IPv6 IP address automatically" and checked "used the following DNS servers", and inserted the Google public IPv6 DNS server addresses.

Message 54 of 89
Mstrbig
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

So if you set this up for 3rd party IPv6 tunnel, you don't see DNS issues. However, if you disable IPv6 on the RBR and PC enstirely just using IPv4 DNS or auto detect ISP DNS on the RBR, do you see this DNS issue? 

Yes that's correct. At least it is for me using Google public servers in the U.S., and setting up the router and devices, the way I described.

I did not try any other servers, but I asume it will work, with any public 6to4 tunnel compatible IPv6 servers.

Since I use IPv6, I never tried disabling it in my settings, so I'm not sure if the DNS issue is still present. But if IPv6 is set to auto and not disabled, the intermittant DNS resolving issue occasionally pops up.

Being as IPv6 is on by default, and many, including some of my clients, are complaining about the same DNS issue, with the RBR750 and 850, I concentrated on solving the issue when IPv6 is enabled. 

Message 55 of 89
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, thanks for the details. Hopefully this can help for those seeing this issue. I for one am not an not sure why. I feel this is a ISP/Orbi specific issue. I recently changed my ISP modem as well and stil not seeing anything remotely close to all this. 

@Mstrbig wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Yes that's correct. At least it is for me using Google public servers in the U.S., and setting up the router and devices, the way I described.

I did not try any other servers, but I asume it will work, with any public 6to4 tunnel compatible IPv6 servers.

Since I use IPv6, I never tried disabling it in my settings, so I'm not sure if the DNS issue is still present. But if IPv6 is set to auto and not disabled, the intermittant DNS resolving issue occasionally pops up.

Being as IPv6 is on by default, and many, including some of my clients, are complaining about the same DNS issue, with the RBR750 and 850, I concentrated on solving the issue when IPv6 is enabled. 

Message 56 of 89
Roberr
Aspirant

IPv6 is disabled

I don't have the choice to use auto detect DNS, my ISP sets it up for static ip.

Message 57 of 89
FURRYe38
Guru

So they set it up on the ISP modem or RBR? 

@Roberr wrote:

IPv6 is disabled

I don't have the choice to use auto detect DNS, my ISP sets it up for static ip.

Message 58 of 89
Mstrbig
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Ok, thanks for the details. Hopefully this can help for those seeing this issue. I for one am not an not sure why. I feel this is a ISP/Orbi specific issue. I recently changed my ISP modem as well and stil not seeing anything remotely close to all this. 

Around here the issue shows up on Frontier, Spectrum, and Wow. None support IPv6. So it makes sense, if you use their DNS servers, the DNS timing errors could exist. 

Message 59 of 89
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, yes seems to be somewhat ISP specific. 

I'm on Sparklight here and have not see this as of yet. I let the RBR auto detect ISP DNS. 

Wondering if I should try your configuration and just see if anything happens on mine this weekend. 

@Mstrbig wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Around here the issue shows up on Frontier, Spectrum, and Wow. None support IPv6. So it makes sense, if you use their DNS servers, the DNS timing errors could exist. 

Message 60 of 89
Mstrbig
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Ok, yes seems to be somewhat ISP specific. 

I'm on Sparklight here and have not see this as of yet. I let the RBR auto detect ISP DNS. 

Wondering if I should try your configuration and just see if anything happens on mine this weekend. 

I let the RBR auto detect ISP DNS as well. I'm only referring to the IPv6 settings page. 

But I was getting the intermittant DNS failures, until I configured IPv6.

Message 61 of 89
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, thanks for the clairifcation. I'll try your config out on mine and see what happens. 

Message 62 of 89
musicbravo
Guide

OK so here is a new trial. I have factory reset the ORBI and put it back into router mode. Again it has correctly detected I am still using my R7000 as a router (So that I dont get lynched by my partner (I have migrated the SSID and password over to it so she doesnt suspect a thing) and changed the IP range of ORBI into 10.0.0.0/24. Orib Internet port has been added to the DMZ of the R7000.

According to all sources, Virgin Media do not support IPV6 but I thought I would go to the IPV6 settings of the ORBI and select auto detect. On clicking apply, it returned as 6to4. I dont really understand the IPV6 side of things, but does this suggest some support of IPV6 on Virgin Media? Or is this just because I am connected to my R7000 which definitely supports IPV6. Touch wood, o DNS issues so far.

As ever I will monitor this. Like I say, dont really understand the workings of IPV6 but assumed if auto detect could not find any IPV6 support, then it would have disabled it again?

EDIT: My WiFi performance is compromised as the R7000 with both its radios enabled is within 12 inches of the ORBI. However this hasnt caused any drop outs

Message 63 of 89
Mstrbig
Master

@musicbravo wrote:

According to all sources, Virgin Media do not support IPV6 but I thought I would go to the IPV6 settings of the ORBI and select auto detect. On clicking apply, it returned as 6to4. I dont really understand the IPV6 side of things, but does this suggest some support of IPV6 on Virgin Media? Or is this just because I am connected to my R7000 which definitely supports IPV6. Touch wood, o DNS issues so far.

EDIT: My WiFi performance is compromised as the R7000 with both its radios enabled is within 12 inches of the ORBI. However this hasnt caused any drop outs

No support on Virgin, Orbi or R7000, but full WWW support. Now you have to pick public IPv6 DNS servers and finish the configuration.

I suggest turning off the WIFI on your R7000 router, or make sure it is on different channels than the Orbi. 

Message 64 of 89
musicbravo
Guide

Yes. Ideally, if I get ORBI behaving in router mode, I will disable all but the 2.4ghz radio on the r7000 and put it back in ap mode leaving rbr850 to make router mode. Sadly I have one device that won't connect to ax networks so have to keep the r7000 2.4ghz alive at 25% so it can still communicate with that one device
Message 65 of 89
FURRYe38
Guru

You can do this, just keep one router on channel 1 and the other on channel 11. 

Message 66 of 89
GTRdone
Tutor

On my RBR750....Costco edition (Tried inserting Model in above header but text disappears)

Results-after disabling the Armor anti-virus, disabling IPV6 in the computers and the Orbi, I am still experiencing intermittent page loading errors. In Firefox, I got several that read: "HMM We're having trouble finding that site".

Reloading the page is successful.

Thanks all for the feedback and for taking time to try to track this down.

Message 67 of 89
FURRYe38
Guru

Try this:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Intermittent-DNS-lookup-failures-on-RBR850/m-p/2016769/high...

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/DNS-PROBE-FINISHED-NXDOMAIN-errors-on-RBR850/m-p/2017793/hi...

@GTRdone wrote:

On my RBR750....Costco edition (Tried inserting Model in above header but text disappears)

Results-after disabling the Armor anti-virus, disabling IPV6 in the computers and the Orbi, I am still experiencing intermittent page loading errors. In Firefox, I got several that read: "HMM We're having trouble finding that site".

Reloading the page is successful.

Thanks all for the feedback and for taking time to try to track this down.

Message 68 of 89
musicbravo
Guide

I dont want to speak too soon, but I think I have cracked it. I have been running for 24hours without a DNS failure. My current setup. 

Virgin Superhub 3ac in modem mode. RBR850 in router mode (Factory reset). Crucially I changed DNS to Google DNS on router and in advanced IPV6 settings, instead of selecting disabled, I changed it to Auto detect. Once applied this then changed to 6to4. Now I knoe for a fact my ISP do not support IPV6, so I dont know why this has worked. However, it seems to be working well at the moment.

I have said this before, but this is genuinely the longest I have had it running in router mode without a hitch. Try it, and let me know how you get on. I will be feeding this info back to the devs/technicians

Message 69 of 89
Mstrbig
Master

@musicbravo wrote:

I dont want to speak too soon, but I think I have cracked it. I have been running for 24hours without a DNS failure. My current setup. 

Virgin Superhub 3ac in modem mode. RBR850 in router mode (Factory reset). Crucially I changed DNS to Google DNS on router and in advanced IPV6 settings, instead of selecting disabled, I changed it to Auto detect. Once applied this then changed to 6to4. Now I knoe for a fact my ISP do not support IPV6, so I dont know why this has worked. However, it seems to be working well at the moment.

I have said this before, but this is genuinely the longest I have had it running in router mode without a hitch. Try it, and let me know how you get on. I will be feeding this info back to the devs/technicians

This was already Posted above. It works because when changing to 6to4 tunnel, it provides a tool for transmitting IPv6 packets using such a prefix over global IPv4 networks. This stops the timeouts in translation.

Message 70 of 89
musicbravo
Guide

Yes, this was more of a confirmation for Virgin Media users. Virgin Media used to traffic manage 6to4 traffic to the point where it was crippled, and yes I also mentioned it before in one of my previous posts but in a slightly different trouble shooting configuration. Hopefully though, it just helps people out a little. 

Also I hadnt read your post about it earlier. Sorry 🙂

Message 71 of 89
GTRdone
Tutor

Good advice, FURRYe38!

I followed the steps to enable ipv6: (pilfering some of the text in the links post, thanks to mstrbig:

6to4 Tunnel,  Remote 6to4 relay Router set to "Auto", IPv6 Domain Name Server (DNS) Address set to "Use These DNS Servers". I chose Cloudflare's IPv6 DNS Servers. IP Address Assignment set to "Auto". T

I tested using test-ipv6-com and it is now getting a score of 16. What I can't get past is this:

"Your router or firewall is filtering ICMPv6 messages sent to your computer. An IPv6 host that cannot receive ICMP messages may encounter problems like some web pages loading partially or not at all."

I am using Zonealarm free firewall and it is set to allow for ipv6 networking, but not sure why that message is being generated.

The bottom line, though, is that the original DNS issues are gone, no more 404 errors, or page load errors.

Message 72 of 89
musicbravo
Guide

That's interesting, @GTRdone. I did not choose any IPV6 DNS and left it as auto. Too my knowledge, my ISP doesnt have IPV6 DNS, so cant imagine this being configured at all, but I have no issues now at all with DNS. May try adding Google public IPV6 DNS addresses in manually and see what happens. Without this configured, I score 7/10 on Test-ipv6

Message 73 of 89
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds good. It was recommended to me last nite that Cloudfare may not be as good as claimed. Seems to be some vulnerabilliies surrouding them. 

I recommend that you move to Google or Quad9 IPv6 DNS...

@GTRdone wrote:

Good advice, FURRYe38!

I followed the steps to enable ipv6: (pilfering some of the text in the links post, thanks to mstrbig:

6to4 Tunnel,  Remote 6to4 relay Router set to "Auto", IPv6 Domain Name Server (DNS) Address set to "Use These DNS Servers". I chose Cloudflare's IPv6 DNS Servers. IP Address Assignment set to "Auto". T

I tested using test-ipv6-com and it is now getting a score of 16. What I can't get past is this:

"Your router or firewall is filtering ICMPv6 messages sent to your computer. An IPv6 host that cannot receive ICMP messages may encounter problems like some web pages loading partially or not at all."

I am using Zonealarm free firewall and it is set to allow for ipv6 networking, but not sure why that message is being generated.

The bottom line, though, is that the original DNS issues are gone, no more 404 errors, or page load errors.

Message 74 of 89
GTRdone
Tutor

Thanks for the heads up on cloudflare; will research further. I don't use google....

Now I got to figure out the firewall message; wondering if the orbi has some setting I can't find that will resolve my issue with the "Your router or firewall is filtering ICMPv6 messages sent to your computer" message.

Message 75 of 89
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 88 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 12 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7