Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Intermittent connectivity issues, Orbi RBR750, AX4200

BK84
Aspirant

Intermittent connectivity issues, Orbi RBR750, AX4200

Bougth my Orbi RBR750 router and two satellites from Costco November 2020 and have not had a single issue with anything till several weeks ago.  I've gotten to my wits end on this situation and hope someone here can help me sort this out.  I have been getting intermittent connectivity for several weeks where the internet will drop out and then come back.  This can happen several times with one or two minute spacing for hours or I'll have hours of perfect internet before it happens again.  My modem never shows an issue with connection via its status LED lights, the Orbi will occassionally show no connection via the purple status light but not always (maybe the outage is too short).  When I call my ISP customer support, all they do is have me restart everything, say they show my modem online and well.  Part of the issue is the internet goes down and by the time I get a person on the phone its back up so there is no issue for them to diagnos, then the internet will go out again once I'm off the phone either minutes later or hours later.  My ISP won't acknoledge an issue with their service or my modem and says its the router.  I have the most up to date firmware installed and never loose my wifi signal to the router through any of this.  I've even replaced my ethernet cables with newest Cat8 ones for best speed from modem to router and router to other devices. 

Does anyone have suggestions to help narrow down what is causing the issue here?  Trouble shooting steps I can take?  My modem status pages shows my upstream and downstream power is within tolerance although a little high on upstream.  Internet speed test is great when connected.  Any help is much appreciated.  Just want to determine if I need to replace the modem, router or get ISP to check cables coming to house.

Message 1 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Intermittent connectivity issues, Orbi RBR750, AX4200

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Message 2 of 12
BK84
Aspirant

Orbi Firmware is v4.6.3.7

Modem is owned by me to save on ISP fees, ARRIS Surboard SB6183.  Bought in 2019

Roughly 2000 sqft home, main router is on second floor, both satellites down stairs about 40ft apart, one in room below main router and other across the house.  Main reason I replaced my previous netgear nighthawk X4 was for mesh coverage of farthest room and backyard which seems to get great coverage now.

Should be set on auto but will check and play with setting as suggested and see what happens.

Neighbors have wifi, maybe three systems I can see on my phone nearby but weak signals.

Actually just had another issue with internet dropping, was able to disconnect router and plug modem directly into a PC.  No internet from modem either so router shouldn't be the issue.  Did a hard restart on modem which didn't fix problem immediately but internet came back up soon after.  Still haven't switched the cable back to router but looks like its not the issue.

Message 3 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Is the 40 feet appart between the RBS or between the RBR and RBS? 

For the modem:

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. Be sure the ISP provisions the modem correctly.
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 
Be sure to power OFF the modem for 1 minute them back ON.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/General-info-and-Troubleshooting-for-Cable-Mod...

Good modem BTW for it's day. 

Message 4 of 12
BK84
Aspirant

Long story short, had two techs from ISP come out and tell me they see no issue with line into house, of course I don't have the problem when they come out as well, and a thrid buy to check the lines along the street.  I have RG6 into the house and RG59 in the walls but was told its a high quality RG59 based on the material of the shielding, only running a 200mbps service so shouldn't be an issue.  Replaced the modem with an ISP modem and still had issues.  Was having this problem when using both my older Nighthawk X4 router and Orbi router which was leading me to believe it was the line in or I got a second bad modem.  Did factory reset to the modem and both routers as I switched back and forth testing things, checked for firmware updates and was hoping to find one for the Orbi satellies as someone else had this as a solution to a similar problem here on the forum but everything is up to date.   I've tried pluggin the modem directly into my PC and haven't notice a loss of internet recently but occasional slow downs, would this cuase the router to have issues?  Played with the Wifi settings last night, put 2.4G on 6 instead of Auto and 5G on 40 instead of 48, this caused almost instant issues.  Changed 2.4G to 1 and 5G to 44, have not had internet drop issues since but we are less than 24hours out.  I'll give it some time before confirming this as a solution as when I replaced my modem for the ISP modem everything ran for 4 days without issue then it started again.

On a side note, can you explain the reasoning behind changing the 2.4G and 5G channels and how this might affect the routers internet connection?

Also, my Samsung smart TV won't connect to my Orbi anymore since I've been switching back and forth with two routers trying to determine wha the issue was.

Message 5 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many? Interferences...

There is a difference between RG6 and RG59:

https://sewelldirect.com/blogs/learning-center/what-is-the-difference-between-rg59-and-rg6

RG59 is not recommended for cable ISP services. Could be a factor.

Contact the TV Mfr for help and support regarding there product...

Message 6 of 12
BK84
Aspirant

I've got 3 nearby networks I can see.

Message 7 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz. Hopefully these near by neighbors won't be using one of those channels. 

Message 8 of 12
BK84
Aspirant

Set 2.4G to channel 01 and have tried channels 40, 44 , and 48 on 5G.  Still having issues with internet disconnections.

Noticed that I'll have issues on my phone, Orbi app will show offline but my wifes phone will still be working just fine.  Most of our wireless devices are on the 5G side of the router

Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Try disabling AX mode and set CTS value to 2347 on the RBR. 

Message 10 of 12
BK84
Aspirant

Furry,  Thank you for all your help.  Went to try latest suggestions you had but everything started working fine again.  That lasted till last week when the Orbi just stop connecting to the internet completely.  Called my ISP, they could see my modem and the netgear router from their end.  Orbi login screen showed good connection but no devices would connect to the internet even though they were connected to the router or at least showing they were.  Tried the suggests you stated last time but nothing worked at all.  I think the router is competely dead and I'm upset at the issues when its not a year old yet.  Going to try and RMA and see if it can be fixed.

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, get ahold of NG support and ask about an RMA. Keep us posted. 

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7