Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Is The RBK True Mesh?

MixMaster
Apprentice

Is The RBK True Mesh?

As I determine if I should add an additional satellite to my new RBK853 setup I've seen some posts suggesting that the RBK isn't a true mesh network.  If I were to add an additonal third satellite does that connect directly to the router or to the closest satellite to it which would extend the coverage area?

I have an Xfinity home with their 1Gbps Internet connection.  My hardwired devices are getting speeds of 953/42 Mbps; I couldn't ask for anything better at this time :-). I have their WiFi completely disabled and the modem is setup in Bridge Mode.  Correct me if I'm wrong but I shouldn't need to worry about placement of the modem itself correct?

Thanks for your help.

Rick

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

@MixMaster wrote:
Furrye38,

Thanks again for hand-holding while I get this up and running. Very much appreciated! I've tried opening tickets with Support but it's been non-existent so thanks to you and this community for working thew issues. If I may, a couple of quick questions:
1) After logging in to the RBR the Basic dashboard shows Internet status as "Good". Is that the best level or is there an excellent? I'm just trying to gauge the best performance. I believe "Good" is the only indication or Good and Or any kind of excellent connections. I don't think NG offers up a Excellent inidication. Mines only shown GOOD. 
2) Are there any good statistics I can pull that will indicate the backhaul status? Coming from the Linksys world I always relied on their "Spot Finder" as well as Upstream / Downstream levels. You can check the RBRs web page under Advanced Tab and Select Show Statistics which gives a numerical value of connection rates and status. 
3) Is there any way to extend the amount of time before I have to re-login to the router? It's way too short.
What browser do you use? I noramlly don't see any problems with the duration, however some browser may behave differently. I mostly use MS Edge or Opera GX here. There is no setting to adjust the web page time out. 

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies
plemans
Guru

1. you don't need to worry about placement of the modem if its setup in bridge mode. 

2. You can add up to 6 satellites before you start seeing slow downs. You can run them in star configuration or daisy chained. They only recommend running up to 2x in a daisy chain configuration though. If you enable daisy chain in the settings it auto-negotiates either the star or daisy chain based on several factors. Its not something you can set other than disabling daisy chain to force a star configuration. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000062035/How-many-satellites-can-you-add-to-an-Orbi-WiFi-System

Message 2 of 8
MixMaster
Apprentice

Hi Plemans!

Thanks for the info.  So out of the box I'm assuming the setup is Star?  What I'm not seeing are the steps to daisy-chain two of the satellites.  Again, I have the RBK853 which is a single router and two satellites.  Because the construction of my condo uses metal studs it can be tricky to get maximum throughput.  I am limited to the placement of the router and the two satellites I currently have are equidistant from the router but at different ends of the condo.  Each of those two locations need to be where they are because of the LAN ports connecting to devices.  

If I add an additonal satellite to this setup, and if I wanted to try it daisy-chained to one of my current satellites, how can I do this?  If there's documentation I can read up on please point me unless you can send me the bullet-points.  Either way I appreciate your help.

Best,

Rick

Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru
MixMaster
Apprentice

Hi - 

Good information and thanks.  I've attached a screen-shot of my Advanced Wireless Settings.  I don't see any indication that it's enabled or disabled.  Am I looking at the wrongs page?  From the Basic, Attached Devices page I can confirm my satelllites aren't Daisy-Chained which indicates I wouldn't see how to disable them.  Is there documentation on how to add a satellite as Daisy-Chained?

I appreciate your time.

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya that KB article needs to be upated. Not sure whom presumed that DC was avaialable across ALL Orbi systems however it's not. DC has never been an User option for Orbi AX systems. It's all handled by placement and sequence of turn on with the RBS. The RBR and RBS auto detect signal and depending on where they are place and how the RBS are turned ON, will dictate if DC is used or not. I did try this once and it did work at the time though my house isn't really needing that kind of configuration.  

Message 6 of 8
MixMaster
Apprentice

Furrye38,

Thanks again for hand-holding while I get this up and running. Very much appreciated! I've tried opening tickets with Support but it's been non-existent so thanks to you and this community for working thew issues. If I may, a couple of quick questions:
1) After logging in to the RBR the Basic dashboard shows Internet status as "Good". Is that the best level or is there an excellent? I'm just trying to gauge the best performance.
2) Are there any good statistics I can pull that will indicate the backhaul status? Coming from the Linksys world I always relied on their "Spot Finder" as well as Upstream / Downstream levels.
3) Is there any way to extend the amount of time before I have to re-login to the router? It's way too short.

Again, thanks for all of the effort.

Best,

Rick
Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

@MixMaster wrote:
Furrye38,

1) After logging in to the RBR the Basic dashboard shows Internet status as "Good". Is that the best level or is there an excellent? I'm just trying to gauge the best performance. I believe "Good" is the only indication or Good and Or any kind of excellent connections. I don't think NG offers up a Excellent inidication. Mines only shown GOOD. 
2) Are there any good statistics I can pull that will indicate the backhaul status? Coming from the Linksys world I always relied on their "Spot Finder" as well as Upstream / Downstream levels. You can check the RBRs web page under Advanced Tab and Select Show Statistics which gives a numerical value of connection rates and status. 
What browser do you use? I noramlly don't see any problems with the duration, however some browser may behave differently. I mostly use MS Edge or Opera GX here. There is no setting to adjust the web page time out. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7