Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Is the RBK850 Wifi 6 router backwards compatible with older Orbi satellites?

_Mike
Guide

Is the RBK850 Wifi 6 router backwards compatible with older Orbi satellites?

Is the RBK850 Wifi 6 router backwards compatible with older Orbi satellites?  Specifically the outdoor model.

Message 1 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Is the RBK850 Wifi 6 router backwards compatible with older Orbi satellites?

Compatability is one of the questions people are raising.  My Google searches have not turned up any information from Netgear about the new product besides the product "Data Sheet" https://www.netgear.com/images/datasheet/orbi/RBK852.pdf 

Because the major selling point is WiFi6 ("AX"), I doubt very much if the existing satellites will integrate as satellites with the new router.  We do know for a fact that (1) an existing Orbi system can be put into AP mode and attached to any router, so there reason to suspect that an existing Orbi system can be attached to the AX system that way.  Who knows what happens when an AX device roams far from the AX capable Orbi units?  (2) The outdoor RBS50Y can be attached as an access point on any router, so of course it can be attached as an access point to the AX series, but will not support any AX functionality.  Once again, the RBS50Y radios cannot do WiFi6 (AX), so not much chance of true "integration".

Would be helpful if Netgear provided more information.  I, for one, have zero WiFi6 devices and am happy to let some "early adopters" tel us all about the new system before I spend any money.

Message 2 of 12
ekhalil
Master

Two points to consider here:

1. A basic pronciple in the 802.11ax standard is that it's backwards compatible with 802.11ac.
  2. Orbi AX has exactly the same 4x4 backhaul design as Orbi AC,

Based on the above I see no reason why the Orbi AC units would not be compatible with Orbi AX when it's available.

Message 3 of 12
HomeBrewJoe
Aspirant

When I look up the specification behind the Wifi 6 Orbis.  I see that the Satellite is 802.11g/b/n/ac/ax but the router is only 802.11g/b/n/ax.

This is strange to me as to why the satellite would be ac compatible but the router is not?  I suppose this means you could use the older orbis if they beamform to the new AX satellite.  Maybe they did it this way so that devices would chose AX over AC  until you are too far away from an AX source, then it switches to AC.

Message 4 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

Can you post a link to these specifications?  The Product Data Sheet clearly says that both router and satellite have the same three radios:

https://www.netgear.com/images/datasheet/orbi/RBK852.pdf 

AXSpecs.PNG

Message 5 of 12
HomeBrewJoe
Aspirant

Sorry I misread the specs. The first radio which is 2.4Ghz does not include AC which is expected but it does include AX interestingly enough. I haven’t read up on AX so was unaware it was capable of using the 2.4Ghz frequency. Radios 2 and 3 are 5Ghz and include the AC/AX. They are the same for both satellite and router. Apologies for misinformation on my end.
Message 6 of 12
Mattynabib
Initiate

So - as of now, do we have an answer to this compatibility question?

If, for example, I get a new RBK752 to leverage Wifi 6 in our new house - but I only want to pay for one satellite - could I use my older Wifi 5 RBS50 satellite (and perhaps even the RBR50 router) as extenders for my new Wifi 6 network? Or do I need to spring for the two-satellite Wifi 6 package?

Our new house layout is much longer than our current one and I want to make sure the signal reaches all the way from front to back, basement to second floor, and ideally out into the yard and driveway.

I am on Verizon FiOS using their modem, going into my RBR50 router with one RBS50 satellite; primary system is Mac OS X 10.15.5, but supporting a whole lot of devices.

Model: RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 7 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Orbi AC is not wirelessly compabile with Orbi AX. You can connect RBS50s to the Orbi AX via ethernet is all. Not idea if or when NG may make them wirelessly compatible. 

@Mattynabib wrote:

So - as of now, do we have an answer to this compatibility question?

If, for example, I get a new RBK752 to leverage Wifi 6 in our new house - but I only want to pay for one satellite - could I use my older Wifi 5 RBS50 satellite (and perhaps even the RBR50 router) as extenders for my new Wifi 6 network? Or do I need to spring for the two-satellite Wifi 6 package?

Our new house layout is much longer than our current one and I want to make sure the signal reaches all the way from front to back, basement to second floor, and ideally out into the yard and driveway.

I am on Verizon FiOS using their modem, going into my RBR50 router with one RBS50 satellite; primary system is Mac OS X 10.15.5, but supporting a whole lot of devices.

Message 8 of 12
Joe482
Aspirant

I went on Orbi's site today and chatted with their support.  I asked if Orbi RBK 850 (wifi 6) is comapatible with an older Orbi Rbs50.  "Oh yes they said".  I was excited!!

Could not make it work.  Sad.

Called Orbi Support, "oh no, it is not compatible".  Sadder, given wasted time.

Support said it will be an upcoming firmware update which will make it backwards compatible.  They said within a couple of weeks.

Do I believe it?  Nah....

@CrimpOn wrote:

Compatability is one of the questions people are raising.  My Google searches have not turned up any information from Netgear about the new product besides the product "Data Sheet" https://www.netgear.com/images/datasheet/orbi/RBK852.pdf 

Because the major selling point is WiFi6 ("AX"), I doubt very much if the existing satellites will integrate as satellites with the new router.  We do know for a fact that (1) an existing Orbi system can be put into AP mode and attached to any router, so there reason to suspect that an existing Orbi system can be attached to the AX system that way.  Who knows what happens when an AX device roams far from the AX capable Orbi units?  (2) The outdoor RBS50Y can be attached as an access point on any router, so of course it can be attached as an access point to the AX series, but will not support any AX functionality.  Once again, the RBS50Y radios cannot do WiFi6 (AX), so not much chance of true "integration".

Would be helpful if Netgear provided more information.  I, for one, have zero WiFi6 devices and am happy to let some "early adopters" tel us all about the new system before I spend any money.

Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Will just have to keep an eye on the FW updates as they come out and check the release notes. 

Message 10 of 12
BiGMERF
Apprentice

not making them compatible imo is just a greed move... linksys made theirs backwards compatible

same with absolutley zero parental controls.. i mean basic device schedule control? thats available on 40 dollar amazon routers

Let me guess , its not compatible with the rbk750 wifi 6 either ?

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Nope. 

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7