Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Just bought first netgear mesh - does more satellites equal better coverage?

Blacktie9999
Tutor

Just bought first netgear mesh - does more satellites equal better coverage?

Just deployed netgear CM1000 V2 modem and orbi RBR850 router and 2 RBS850 satellites in @4400 sq ft brick house. Told lots of things can impact QOS of service like microwaves etc. 

Does adding more satellites = better coverage?

Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Just bought first netgear mesh - does more satellites equal better coverage?

It can yes. 

What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

Message 2 of 7
plemans
Guru

Re: Just bought first netgear mesh - does more satellites equal better coverage?

Not always. They can be to close together and then not roam properly. 

does your brick home have internal brick walls or is it all external? 

What isues are you having? 

Message 3 of 7
Blacktie9999
Tutor

External Brick only, no issues at all, just wondering if I should plan for more satellites or other things I shoudl do. Running 4k security cameras and want to make sure I have the right solution. Mostly want to educate myself

Message 4 of 7
plemans
Guru

I'd start with that setup. I've got 3200sqft and a RBK750 (1 router + 1 satellites) covers all mine. 

Message 5 of 7
Blacktie9999
Tutor

GB connection

1 Satellite is line of sight to router @ 20 ft, 2nd one is 50 ft in bedroom, all on main floor. 4k cameras on perimter of house are what is the big driver of concern, they seem to work OK at this point

Message 6 of 7
plemans
Guru

I know when I first started with mesh systems, I moved my satellites/router around several times (about once a month) just to optimize placement for roaming/coverage. Between roaming and construction (hvac) trying different locations helps. I'm past needing to do that as I've figured out the optimal places but placmenet changes depeding on how many satellites I'm using. I've tried up to 4x satellites with my AC system. It was overkill and actually caused slow downs. With my AC system i usually just ran 2x satellites. I've only had 1x satellite for the AX system so I haven't had to do much moving around/testing 🙂 

Might be worth trying several different locations just to see how it works. Is yours all on 1 level or multiple levels? 

I have a trilevel home and found one on each level and then spaced out (not directly above each other) worked the best for coverage. With Hvac in the floors/walls, it took a little playing around but it works great. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7