Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: LOST WIFI on RBR853

iBRED
Aspirant

LOST WIFI on RBR853

Hi,

I have a RBK853 system and everything worked fine since yestarday when all wifi devices dropped of. I can't connect any device to the system. My phone says "no internet connection"..

I changed the SSID and with a new one I'm able to connect the phone, etc, but I don't want to reconnect all 40 devices I created previously using static ip based on MAC. Do you have any suggestion what could be wrong?

Why did it happend?  

Thanks,

Daniel

Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
DNS_PROBE_FAIL
Luminary

You are probably missing a security setting or using slightly different secure method for authentication on the new vs old SSIDs.  This is a common thing that gets missed.  You must have identical security, auth settings on the old and new systems.  Even then, some devices will get errors or be unreliable until you "forget the network" and re-authenticate to the new SSID even with the same name.

But most devices will find the new network as long as all settings are identical.

Also, many people are experiencing DNS issues with RBR853 systems like yours - it's a DNS problem that has not yet been fixed by Netgear support.  This could be part of your problem with some devices not connecting, or that they connect but communciations is unreliable. 

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 11

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many? 

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or may not be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 2 of 11
iBRED
Aspirant

Firmware Version: v.3.2.16.22_1.4.9
House: 1700 Sq Ft
I have 2 satellites and the distance between router and them is 10 ft - 12 ft.
I'm using manual channel: 1
Only one Wifi Neighbors.
I disabled "Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence".
WMM enabled for both 2.4GHz and 5 GHz.
Armor is not activated.

As additional information, I have 30 devices for smart home automation, and all these are connected to WiFI 2.4GHz. For each one of them I reserved a specific IP Address based on MAC Address. Could this be a problem?

Message 3 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

@iBRED wrote:

Firmware Version: v.3.2.16.22_1.4.9

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/New-RBR850-RBS850-Series-Firmware-Version-v3-2-17-12-Releas...

You can try to update later on....
House: 1700 Sq Ft For this size of home, I would try with the RBR and just 1 RBS. Two maybe too much.
I have 2 satellites and the distance between router and them is 10 ft - 12 ft. This is too close. 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. 
I'm using manual channel: 1
Only one Wifi Neighbors.
I disabled "Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence".
WMM enabled for both 2.4GHz and 5 GHz.
Armor is not activated.

As additional information, I have 30 devices for smart home automation, and all these are connected to WiFI 2.4GHz. For each one of them I reserved a specific IP Address based on MAC Address. Could this be a problem?

Message 4 of 11
iBRED
Aspirant

My mistake about the distance between RBR and RBS. It is 10 m, not 10 ft.

Initially I bought only 1 Satellite and I didn’t have good coverage and I bought one more 2 month later. The house has 2 floors and it is full concreate and I’m using one on each floor. One of satellites is connected by cable.

I have one more information: I’ve change the SSID and I’m able to connect to WIFI network without problem. Changing SSID means that the other 30+ devices are not connected… I can change the SSID for all devices, but I don’t want to do this very often.  

Message 5 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, thanks for updating the distance. 

What happens if you change the SSID name back to privious name? 

Try turning OFF 1 RBS and see how it goes...

You might update FW as well:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/New-RBR850-RBS850-Series-Firmware-Version-v3-2-17-12-Releas...

RBS first then RBR lastly. Power OFF for 30 seconds then back on after FW has been processed by the system.  

Message 6 of 11
iBRED
Aspirant

Changing the name back to previous SSID is still not working. 

I've turned off 1 RBS and went in the same room where is the RBR trying to connect my iphone to previous WIFI. It connected for a few seconds then it dropped off. I don’t have this issue using the new SSID.

I will update the FW today and probably I will change the SSID for all devices. Hopefully I will not have this issue anymore ☹

Message 7 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok. What you might do is after you change the SSID name and then start to re-connect your devices, do them one at a time and then check the wifi on the RBR/RBS. See if anything appears as your gradually adding devices. Keep track of how many and what device you added last if something happens. 

Message 8 of 11
DNS_PROBE_FAIL
Luminary

You are probably missing a security setting or using slightly different secure method for authentication on the new vs old SSIDs.  This is a common thing that gets missed.  You must have identical security, auth settings on the old and new systems.  Even then, some devices will get errors or be unreliable until you "forget the network" and re-authenticate to the new SSID even with the same name.

But most devices will find the new network as long as all settings are identical.

Also, many people are experiencing DNS issues with RBR853 systems like yours - it's a DNS problem that has not yet been fixed by Netgear support.  This could be part of your problem with some devices not connecting, or that they connect but communciations is unreliable. 

Message 9 of 11
iBRED
Aspirant

I used to create a backup for RBR settings when I modify something. Now I restored the RBR using a previous CFG file and I only changed the SSID with a new one (I didn’t touch the security method). I configured all smart devices to new SSID and everything is working fine now. No issue in the last 4-5 days.

The smart home devices have a backup wifi so, I configured that too just in case I have this issue again. Thank you for your help.

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements