Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Lag spikes and random disconnection

jrk2017
Tutor

Lag spikes and random disconnection

Recently, my family and I decided to buy a new modem and router. We chose the netgear cm11000 and Orbi RBR850 tri-band mesh router. Everything was going smoothly for about two weeks, but out of nowhere  large spikes of lag/ping started happening especially when trying to stream different services. I've changed the positioning of the satellites multiple times. If someone could offer any other assistance that would be very helpful thank you. 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Lag spikes and random disconnection

Congratulations on buying the "latest" in Orbi technology.

Unfortunately, thiis is the community forum for the "original WiFi5 Orbi".  There is a forum specifically for the "AX" product where the participants are more likely to have experience that will relate to your situation:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax 

May get a more informed response if you post in that forum.

Good Luck

Message 2 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

Do you have the CM1000 or 1100?

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. 
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 
Be sure to power OFF the modem for 1 minute them back ON.

Do you have LAG enabled on the CM1100 if you have this model modem? 

What Firmware version is currently loaded on Orbi AX?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@jrk2017 wrote:

Recently, my family and I decided to buy a new modem and router. We chose the netgear cm11000 and Orbi RBR850 tri-band mesh router. Everything was going smoothly for about two weeks, but out of nowhere  large spikes of lag/ping started happening especially when trying to stream different services. I've changed the positioning of the satellites multiple times. If someone could offer any other assistance that would be very helpful thank you. 

Message 3 of 5
jrk2017
Tutor

Hello, 

I've made little progress when changing the 2.4ghz channel to1 and the preamble mode to short, but that's about it. Our current modem is the cm1100 with a brand new coax cable.

Firmware version: V3.2.15.25_1.3.15

house sqft: 5,000ft 

The router and satellite distance are about 40 feet from each other. 

2.4ghz channel is set at 1, 5ghz is on 48

wifi neighbors 6

Our mbps went up from 50 to 175, but I feel like that's nowhere near what I should be getting for our 600mbps service 

I was looking at the thresholds and they are set at 64. Should I leave them at that number or go up? 

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

What channels are your nieghors using? 

What wireless devices are you using for speed testing?

Be sure your using a wired PC or laptop to check actual wired speeds thru the RBR. 

There is v32 update as well. I'm using it now and is working well. 

I've been told by NG that change CTS values may impact some devices. You can try changing to 2347 and see if this changing anything. If not, change back to 64. You might try loading v32 first. I'm currently using v32 and use default 64 for CTS. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7