Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Live Event - Orbi WiFi 6: Upgrade to the Best in Mesh WiFi | March 25 at 10:30 AM PT

vajim
Master

Re: Live Event - Orbi WiFi 6: Upgrade to the Best in Mesh WiFi | March 25 at 10:30 AM PT

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I don't believe it does. Mine works well for performance. 

@artsoto23 wrote:
How does that affect performance? Sorry, newbie here

and so says The Wonderful Wizard of Oz aka @FURRYe38 

Message 26 of 51
vajim
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Seems like you trying to compare apples to oranges. 🍊 

you would say that

Message 27 of 51
vajim
Master

@energie wrote:

@FURRYe38 are you working for Netgear, you really sound like a broken record trying to give positive praise to a broken product.

Yes...he/she does work for NG...and according to he/she life is good

Message 28 of 51
KasemO
Star

DNS is the start of your connection. If DNS doesn't work, your connection to a resource you are trying to visit is:

0 mbps.

So yes, defective DNS in firmware does impact performance.

Let me also say something I learned when I was 10 years old trying to sell my Nintendo. I said: "But it works when you blow in the cartridge!" The game trade store guy said: "If you need to do anything extra to it to make it work, it doesn't work."

And there you have it. All these fixes, set DNS on your devices, telnet into the router...

Uhhh, if you need to do anything extra to make it work - it doesn't work.
Message 29 of 51
vajim
Master

@KasemO wrote:

Uhhh, if you need to do anything extra to make it work - it doesn't work.

Beautiful....need to send this to our friuend @FURRYe38 

Message 30 of 51
yadav2brand
Initiate

No it seems like I am saying this router is performing "very bad" because of serious issues with the DNS server / firmware.

Message 31 of 51
FURRYe38
Guru

Something to contact NG support about if your having problems with your system. 
Good Luck. 

@yadav2brand wrote:

No it seems like I am saying this router is performing "very bad" because of serious issues with the DNS server / firmware.

Message 32 of 51
vajim
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Something to contact NG support about if your having problems with your system. 
Good Luck. 

@yadav2brand wrote:

If you're still under warranty 

Message 33 of 51
BriceLB
Guide

It seems that today's firmware release fixe the issue for me. Today it's April 14, 2021. 

With the previous firmware I had 2-3 reboots of the router or some satellite daily and some of my appliances couldn't resolve dns, until I rebooted the whole setup. 

I am running Firmware Version: V3.2.18.1_1.4.14 with one RBR850 and 3 RBS850 and have not experienced reboot, dns stalled or connection drops a whole day! 

Message 34 of 51
FURRYe38
Guru

You might post your experiences in this thread:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/New-Firmware-Version-3-2-18-1-for-RBR840-850-RBS840-850-Rel...

@BriceLB wrote:

It seems that today's firmware release fixe the issue for me. Today it's April 14, 2021. 

With the previous firmware I had 2-3 reboots of the router or some satellite daily and some of my appliances couldn't resolve dns, until I rebooted the whole setup. 

I am running Firmware Version: V3.2.18.1_1.4.14 with one RBR850 and 3 RBS850 and have not experienced reboot, dns stalled or connection drops a whole day! 

Message 35 of 51
cspaugh
Tutor

There are multiple reasons why a static DNS entry is both good and bad outside of the issue that you all are discribing with what appears to be Orbi firmware. Good is if your ISP has DNS  issues it could keep you online if your lucky, depending on what is going on with the cable modem and thier devices downstream. And thean again if someting happens to the DNS serer/cluster your pointing to that could impact you. Kinda of a double edges sword like most things. Best to follow the KISS principle unless you have good reason not to or just want to experiment. 

Message 36 of 51
FURRYe38
Guru

Auto works when your ISP DNS is working and most of the time it does. Static/Custom DNS are other flavors of DNS. Up to you if you want to use ISP DNS or Change to something different like Cloudfare, Quad9 or Google. Some work better than ISP DNS, Some may not. 

@cspaugh wrote:

There are multiple reasons why a static DNS entry is both good and bad outside of the issue that you all are discribing with what appears to be Orbi firmware. Good is if your ISP has DNS  issues it could keep you online if your lucky, depending on what is going on with the cable modem and thier devices downstream. And thean again if someting happens to the DNS serer/cluster your pointing to that could impact you. Kinda of a double edges sword like most things. Best to follow the KISS principle unless you have good reason not to or just want to experiment. 

Message 37 of 51
SeaRefractor
Apprentice

I wish the new firmware had actually fixed my issues.    I suspect that due to the need for the router and satelittes needing to "reboot" it simply was the reboot like all the prior times that temporarily fixed the issues.

I've had more erratic behavior on one of my sats than at any time before.    One time it even came up as a different device in my Orbi attached devices.   I had to remove it and then perform the "sync" button action to get it added again.

I have opened other threads about my experience and with my "premium" support, I've opened cases.    Frankly just waiting for the newer Wifi 6E mesh products from competitors before I replace it.    Family has developed a routine of restarting the Orbi's when problems occur, so we can maintain with this product for the time being.

As for recommending it?   Not any longer.     When I replace it, I'll do the right thing and recycle these things rather than regifting the pain to someone else.    I'd hold out hope for a future firmware fix, but the customer service has been decidedly terrible.

Also, the continuing delay on the Netgear Parental Controls to replace the former Circle parental controls has been what?   Exactly, way longer than anyone expected, I suspect that firmware that fixes this issue is just the same if not vapor ware entirely.    Probably along Duke Nukem Forever timeline speeds https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Development_of_Duke_Nukem_Forever#:~:text=The%20video%20game%20Duke%20... 

Message 38 of 51
tak1313
Luminary

Asus AiMesh.  That's my next move from Orbi.  Although all brands have issues, Asus has been the best overall (for me).  When I decided to try mesh from Asus, I tried Orbi based on reviews, but frankly although the wifi end of it is good, the routing side of it is one of the worst - I think only Eero is worse when it comes to user controls/capabilities - yet even then, it's FAR more stabler/eliable than Orbi.

I currently run the Orbi as AP after my Asus RT-AC68U, with which I could control my bufferbloat that Orbi's WMM couldn't control, and the Asus has AiProtect for FREE (their version of Armor), and if you want,  Asus also has parental controls for free (which NG charges for).

Message 39 of 51
energie
Luminary

The most economical solution (when you can't return the Orbi AX anymore) is to place a third party router in front of the Orbi AX. Set the Orbi AX to Access Point Mode (AP) and use the third party router as an actual router. This pretty much should by-pass the entire Orbi AX DNS firmware issue. I am also going to give this a try. 

The Asus XT8 I also have, and those are working great too. No DNS issues whatsoever. Which is to be expected. WIFI speed is also higher. However, the Orbi AX still are best in terms of wifi range and devices switching between sattelites. 

Message 40 of 51
tak1313
Luminary

@energie wrote:

The most economical solution (when you can't return the Orbi AX anymore) is to place a third party router in front of the Orbi AX. Set the Orbi AX to Access Point Mode (AP) and use the third party router as an actual router. This pretty much should by-pass the entire Orbi AX DNS firmware issue. I am also going to give this a try. 

The Asus XT8 I also have, and those are working great too. No DNS issues whatsoever. Which is to be expected. WIFI speed is also higher. However, the Orbi AX still are best in terms of wifi range and devices switching between sattelites. 

So you prefer Orbi's wifi performance over the XT?  When I was thinking of going mesh, I was looking at the XT or AiMesh, since Asus was my preferred router brand at the time.  I decided to try Orbi since I used to use a Netgear router years ago and was really satisfied with it (WNDR4500), and had been reading good things about Orbi (I now know better).

Right now, I'm running Orbi after my previous RT-AC68U, but I switched the Orbi to AP mode more because of Orbi's really sub-par traffic controls causing bufferbloat in my network.  When it's time to move on (every couple of years for me), I am likely going back to Asus (either XT or AiMesh).

Message 41 of 51
energie
Luminary

Yeah, I do prefer the the Orbi AX over the XT8 in terms of wifi performance. XT8 has a potential higher wifi speed (comparing it to the Orbi AX 4200 - RBK752). However, the wifi signal seems to be less on the XT8, it is far less forgiving. Also when you place both of these devices on the exact same spot, the signal is simply better with the Orbi AX in my experience. So optimal placement is required. 

Before the Orbi AX I actually had 2 RT-AC68U in AI Mesh Mode (also in router - repeater mode). But my experience in either one of these modes wasn't super great/stable. I would get occassional connectivity drops while being on Microsoft Teams for example - connected through the second RT-AC68U router/repeat/node. In a single router configuration the RT-AC68U was working perfect. However, I wanted higher speeds. So when Asus was advertising with AI Mesh I thought! lets go for a second RT-AC68U. 

With the XT8 the mesh networking also wasn't as stable as with the Orbi AX. Didn't try to use Microsoft teams. But devices would regularly connect to the 2,4 Ghz band or getting 'stuck' to the node. While the 5 Ghz band was available. I am not noticing this much with the Orbi AX. So my personal conclusion is that while Asus is great in a single router configuration, their AI Mesh (mesh networking) isn't up to par with other brands. The concept of course with the ability to just link up random Asus routers to the mesh network is great.

Having said all of this. The Orbi AX just fails as being a router. It only works good in access point mode. So you need a third party router. Or go for the Orbi AX Pro series. Stay away from the Orbi AX otherwise. 

Message 42 of 51
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 43 of 51
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Thinking in buying Orbi AX6000 with satellites? Think again

Are you thinking about replacing your Router with a nice and powerful Orbi AX Mesh Router?

Think again.

Do you have a ton of time for debugging, contacting support, infinite trial and error, inconsistent firmware versions, hundreds and I repeat hundreds of hours troubleshooting? Do you work from home? Do you have a decent number of 2.4GHz devices at home (say 30-60)? Do you have Wi-Fi cameras to protect your home? Do you watch Netflix or similar? Gaming?

If you answered yes to any of these questions - save yourself heaps of problems and do not go for an Orbi AX.

Rule number 1. Long-distance/low power 2.4GHz Wi-Fi and short distance/high power 5GHz have been designed for different purposes. They are not meant to be shared unless all the devices on the planet, irrespectively of the frequency they use can connect seamlessly to a shared SSID mesh router. Unfortunately, that is not the case in June 2021 and it will not be the case in the next years to come.

Rule number 2. Devices designed to operate on 5GHz Wi-Fi (laptops, tablets, smartphones for example) can switch to 2.4GHz; however, devices designed to operate on 2.4GHz Wi-Fi (most security cameras, most LED lights, most climate controllers, most Wi-Fi speakers, most lighting devices, most power controllers, most security devices - door, gate and window locks, blinds and others) cannot work on the 5GHz. Again, they cannot and will not work on 5GHz.

Rule number 3. Combining the 2.4GHz SSID and the 5GHz SSID into one SSID so both frequencies share one single Wi-Fi name is a massive mistake. Do your research and you will see great explanations about the topic. Simply put, most of the 2.4GHz devices will not understand a combined SSID and will reject the connection arguing a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi cannot be found (unless each frequency has a different name).

Some newer 2.4GHz devices can pick up the 2.4GHz from a combined SSID (2.4GHz + 5GHz) - again, new devices. If you own 3/5-year-old 2.4GHz devices, for example, most security cameras - none of your devices will work. Netgear support will tell you to drop the power of the 5GHz, try to connect your 2.4GHz, and if you are lucky, turn the power of the 5GHz back on. So if you are lucky and your device picks up the 2.4GHz band, be prepared for your other 2.4GHz devices which may not pick it up - so (1) you may need to move the device closer or further away from the router, or (2) you may need to move the router closer or further away from the device/devices. A nightmare frankly speaking. And if you live in an apartment congested with 2.4GHz you actually may need to leave your building to make it work?

Netgear's Orbi AX mesh routers cannot separate the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands. There was a time when this was possible using the router's menu. Possible meant customers had a choice. If they wanted to leave the 2 bands together and this worked for them they would just install the product and forget. Customers - needing, wanting or preferring - to separate the 2 bands could also do it, so they also had a choice.

Netgear decided to remove this option from the Routers Menu with a nice flashy firmware update.

Unhappy customers needing the two bands separated helped each other and realised that there was still another possibility to separate the bands by using a simple telnet connection. So again customers had a choice.

And again, Netgear decided to remove this option from the Routers with a nice flashy firmware update.

So this is when it gets really ugly.

As a brand, Netgear decided a while ago that customers should not have a choice; why would they?. Netgear was aware that customers were very unhappy with these changes. They were aware of hundreds of customer complaints and product returns. They were aware of hundreds of forums packed with customer frustration and regret after spending all that precious top dollar on an Orbi AX product that should work out of the box without any problem and should work with every single device they owned, right? Not quite.

Instead of listening to their customers, Netgear continued releasing new firmware updates, which continuously disempowered their customers - all over the planet.

As a result, from one day to the next hundreds of thousands of customers owning an Orbi Mesh Router realised that their nice and effective Orbi AX Wi-Fi setup, which used to work perfectly for what they - wanted, needed or simply preferred - suddenly stopped working because Netgear decided so. Consequently, hundreds of thousands returned their Orbi and went for a different brand or solution. If you spend enough time doing your research you will see hundreds of unhappy customers looking for help in the forums.

I was one of these customers. I trusted Netgear and paid a premium dollar for an AX6000 + 2 satellites. I wasted 5 months following inconsistent support from Netgear. I suffered inconsistent firmware updates. I lost the Internet at home. I could not work from home. I had to spend time during work hours, after work and during weekends troubleshooting the Orbi AX6000 top of the line thing, until Netgear finally confirmed that it was faulty, so I could return it.

I gave Netgear a second chance. As Netgear support advised that 'the router was faulty' after 5 months, I trusted the brand and exchanged the faulty version for a new version - big mistake.

Netgear updated the firmware with a new flashy firmware that was updated automatically during the installation, leaving me with no option to separate the 2 bands, anymore. As a result, 43 devices in my home could not connect to Wi-Fi, anymore.

If you have read this far and you were thinking of buying an awesome Orbi AX, and you replied yes to any of the questions above, think again. You have a choice.

Save yourself a ton of problems and a massive waste of time, opt for any AU$300 Wi-Fi 6 router plus two AU$300 extenders option (AU$900 in total) instead of an Orbi AX600 (AU$1999) and save the other AU$1000.

You will get a system that will allow you to control and set up your Wi-Fi as you want, need or prefer. Separating the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands is a simple customer decision, not a business decision. Stay free from absurd mandates from brands that cannot stand by their products, lack technical support and do not listen to their customers.

I hoped someone would have told me this before I made the wrong decision.

My 2 cents

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 44 of 51
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Thinking in buying Orbi AX6000 with satellites? Think again

NG has never supported seperate SSIDs on there systems. Orbi AX has never had any kind of user features to disable separate SSIDs since it first came out. Other mfrs don't as well. Some other may offer that. IF you wanted separate SSIDs for your devices, maybe wifi MESH isn't for you.

Again, those devices that were NOT designed with 5Ghz support will never see or use 5Ghz signals. EVER!!. It's up to devices to pick and chose which signl they connect too. Orbi systems only provide the platform to connect too. 

Smart Connect or single SSID systems have been in use in the home wifi routers since 2012 when it first came out. Been around for a while. Orbi is not the first to use it nor will it be the last.

I had not problems with gaming or watching netflix on Orbi systems. May factors can cause problem with any wifi system. And one could just have a faulty system as well. Something you should have contacted NG support about. 

Message 45 of 51
energie
Luminary

Yeah a client device that is only capable of 2,4 Ghz won't be bothered by 5 Ghz. Maybe it would be a nice feature to disable one band or have separate SSID's. However, the point of a single SSID is so a user doesn't need to bother and will get max speed or range. 

While from an end user perspective there is only 1 SSID, there are actually 2 SSID's with the same name. One for the 2,4 Ghz band and one for the 5 Ghz band. The 2,4 Ghz band or the 5 Ghz band hasn't been 'designed' for different purposes in mind. 5 Ghz simply is faster but the drawback is a shorter range. A client device that is capable of both will chose itself which band to use. If possible the 5 Ghz band probably will be used, because that one is faster. 

Message 46 of 51
KasemO
Star

Agree 100% with OP.

I had the flagship Orbi AX6000 system - it is great when it worked. Sadly when it worked is never. DNS issues from a misconfiguration of the DNS server in the router = constant broken sites. Did I mention this problem was an issue with Orbi for 2, 3 years or longer? The fix is literally posted on the forums yet Netgear refuses to fix.

There is a lot wrong with Orbi. The paid shill responding to OP - yeah, a $1000 router shouldn't support multi SSIDs - but GUESS WHAT? IT SHOULD, LIKE EVERY OTHER ROUTER ON THR MARKET.

Idk what this blind defense of some corporation selling broken products to consumers is all about. the only reason someone can be so blind to junk products being sold is they have some vested interest in the product.

Furry, Netgear compensated you. Period.

Buyer beware. Shop elsewhere. Do not buy Netgear hardware. There is competition out there that is just as fast, less headaches, and the competition products actually work as intended.

Orbi, in the year I owned it: 0 updates.

Amazon Eero in the 3 months I owned it: 4 system updates.

So... yeah. Buy from someone who actually cares about their customers.
Message 47 of 51
FURRYe38
Guru

There isn't a AX6400 Orbi system for one. 

Not everyone has had problems with DNS. NG has begun to push FW for those who are effected ad want to try it on 7 series Orbi. Hasn't been 2-3 years being a problem. Only over the past year for Orbi AX. 

Not every market router supports features users want or desire. It's up to users to do there rearch before they buy to see if there wants and needs are met. I presuem NG designs there products the way they want them. It's up to users to see if this works for them or not. Not all wifi routers are designed the same so if you don't find something that doesn't work for you, return it and find something that does. Why theres many mfrs and model systems out there. 

Theres been several FW updates on Orbi AX systems since they first appeared in 2019:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/rbk852.aspx#download

So yeah, looks like more accurate information research is needed for some of you. 

Good Luck though. 

Message 48 of 51
maywml
Aspirant

Message 49 of 51
FURRYe38
Guru

Robot LOL

Message 50 of 51
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7