Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Looking for consistent speed - RBK853

wbarnes4393
Aspirant

Looking for consistent speed - RBK853

RBK853 - looking for consistent speed

I have had the RBK50 for the past year or two and it’s been great. I’ve also had 150/150 fiber service from Frontier. I’ve generally gotten at or close to those speeds over Wi-Fi during that time.

Recently, I sprang for gigabit service (for only like $10 more a month!). So, then I splurged for the RBK853, hoping to sling the faster Wi-Fi around as fast as possible around the house. And, sometimes I get like 500-600 down (or even more a few times), but a lot of time it’s more like 150, 200, or 250. In fact, most of the time.

So, what do I check? Why such a wide variance? I would obviously love to see it at the higher speeds on a consistent basis. Is there a playbook of things I can check? I have until end of August to return the router but I would be happy to keep it if I can get those speeds more consistently up.
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Wide variance is due to mfr wifi devices and how they are designed and supported. 

AC devices will max out at around 400-500Mpbs. AX, depending, should see near 900Mpbs if the connection rate is in AX mode.

https://kb.netgear.com/19668/Link-Rate-and-Transfer-Speed

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Message 2 of 4
wbarnes4393
Aspirant

Looks like the Firmware is V3.2.15.25_1.3.15.

The Orbi is connected directly to the FiOS ONT (Optical etwork Terminal) via ethernet - no intervening modem (so, I guess that IS the "modem"). It's an Alcatel-Lucent I-211M-L.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, just checking for a router with in the modem or FIOS unit. No router I believe. 

I presume your wire speeds are good. 

You can update to v32 if you wish and see if this helps with anything.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/RBR850-RBS850-Firmware-Version-3-2-15-32-Hot-Fix-Firmware-U...

May not as again, wifi speeds depend on what your wifi devices support. And if you have any AX supporting devices. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7