Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Lost web access to Orbi router - RBR750

Jjersey63
Apprentice

Lost web access to Orbi router - RBR750

I generally login to my router daily - I noticed last evening the Orbi was rebooting - I didn't reboot it but now I can no longer web into it or use the app to access the interface.

I can still ping the interface 10.0.0.1 and also all web traffic is fine - I just can't manage this anymore.  I've done all but factory reset this - I did back up the config but I really don't want to factory reset this.

Any ideas?  

Message 1 of 22
fcwest
Star

There's clearly an issue with the latest firmware across multiple generations of Orbi routers that's causing the router interface to not be accessible via web browser or the Orbi app. I own both RBR850 and CBR750 (both with satellites) which are setup on completely separate networks in different physical locations (work and home) and after this latest firmware update, neither of the routers are accessible through the web browser or Orbi app... yet the routers still continue to function...their interfaces just can't be reached any longer.

Message 2 of 22
plemans
Guru

Does it work through the app? 

Have you tried a different web browser? 

If its on the 10.0.0.1, you're probably in a double nat. 

Maybe that's causing an access issue. 

Have you tried disconnecting it from the modem/gateway its connected to, reboot the orbi, and then try connecting to it (without it connected to the modem/gateway)?

Message 3 of 22
Jjersey63
Apprentice

Ok - figured as much - I am running v4.6.7.13 - updated a few weeks back and all seemed OK.  

Message 4 of 22
Jjersey63
Apprentice

I can’t access it via the app or the web browser - I’ve tried rebooting it without it connected to the RG (uverse using pass through mode) no joy.  The satellites are accessible just fine but the router web page won’t come up and the app keeps telling me the router is offline.

Message 5 of 22
Jjersey63
Apprentice

I am leaving for a trip on Sunday and I don’t want to factory reset this yet.  I have a config saved off but I am afraid if I reset this and I still can’t access the interface, I am hosed.  I have over 60 connected devices and a factory reset is a last resort.

Message 6 of 22
Jjersey63
Apprentice

It’s possible this auto upgraded - https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-RBR750-RBS750-Firmware-Version-4...

as I saw this reboot itself on 4/27 indicative of the flashing white light - users are complaining no access to the admin interface.

I logged into the satellites and they are running the latest - 4.6.8.2 dang it!

Message 7 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a full power OFF of the ISP modem and Orbi system for 1 minute then back ON. 

If you still can't access the RBRs web page, you'll need to factory reset the RBR and setup from scratch. 

Message 8 of 22
Jjersey63
Apprentice

I’ll give it a shot this weekend.  Thanks 

Message 9 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 10 of 22
isnull88
Initiate

I am having the same issue. Any one figure this out yet? 

Thanks!

Message 11 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Factory reset and setup from scratch using a wired PC and web browser at HTTP 192.168.1.1. Don't use Orbi app. 

@isnull88 wrote:

I am having the same issue. Any one figure this out yet? 

Thanks!

Message 12 of 22
fanandfoe
Guide

Fellow owner of a Orbi 750 fully configured with 2 satellites where, inexplicably, I can't access the web interface and the app says that my orbi is "offline". I have tried different computers and different browsers. All the same result.

Power cycling the router does not help the situation.

GRR Netgear! $600 in router gear should not be doing this!

Message 13 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Factory reset and setup from scratch using a wired PC and web browser at HTTP 192.168.1.1. Press the reset button for 20 seconds then release. Use MS Edge or Firefox web browers.

Don't use Orbi app. 

@fanandfoe wrote:

Fellow owner of a Orbi 750 fully configured with 2 satellites where, inexplicably, I can't access the web interface and the app says that my orbi is "offline". I have tried different computers and different browsers. All the same result.

Power cycling the router does not help the situation.

GRR Netgear! $600 in router gear should not be doing this!

Message 14 of 22
fanandfoe
Guide

Thank you for the thoughts and prayers.

I will also make note never to trust Netgear again. Honestly, I have been managing routers and gear like this for small to medium sized businesses and client house for almost 20 years now -- this is one of the most rediculous things I have seen from a company. They should at least step in and recognize there is an issue and try to address it. The pattern is clear and the timing to not coincidence that so many of us are having half-bricked devices right within the same time period.

I have a product that is under warranty and the error I made is by purchasing this product from Netgear directly instead of Costco where at least I have some leverage to return the silly brick. I won't make this mistake again.

Message 15 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck.

Message 16 of 22
fanandfoe
Guide

For those that don't have support or don't have the time to mess with opening a ticket, here is the latest from my open support ticket:

Currently there an on going issue unable to access router's page using the browser and ORBI App but the internet is working fine. Engineers are already aware of the issue and currently working on it. We have customers that the issue was resolve by resetting the router and some don't. Resetting the router will be risk since everything will be disconnected and have to start over. For now, what I suggest is to wait for the update from the engineers and I will leave this case open and will provide an update for you. However, there's no ETA for the fix.

Message 17 of 22
isnull88
Initiate

Thank you. Please keep us posted.

Message 18 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 19 of 22
Jjersey63
Apprentice

So here is the latest for me - I need internet for remote work - no downtime or very little.  Since it’s not clear to me a factory reset will work, I dropped another $600 for a “plan b”.

I spoke to another geek and he had the same issue as me.  Internet was fine, just no web/app access to router.  He factory reset his and he never could access the router, essentially it bricked.

So I spent another fortune and will hope I don’t need to open the box and just return it to Costco but I need an alternate plan if this goes so south.  If I brick my router, is Netgear going to compensate me and others?  I’ve been doing IT work for over 40 years, this ain’t my first rodeo and I can understand why Netgear would push security updates (because most users never check once it’s setup) but that isn’t me.  I plan all my patch updates - backup files, blackout plans etc. and to have a forced update without warning is flat out wrong.  Checksum are validated, ensuring download site vs. what is downloaded is good before I start.  Not sure what was done during this update, but geez give me the chance to plan this before NG jams this down my router. 

So I have the firmware that is on the web site staged, will try to factory reset tomorrow morning and see what gives.  

Message 20 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Factory reset with the RBR and a wired PC should bring access to the RBRs web page. Just walk thru the setup wizard in a web browser. DO NOT USE ORBI app to set it up.

Message 21 of 22
Jjersey63
Apprentice

So the factory reset seemed to work but I never did get the satellites to sync.  I spent enough hours on this that purchasing a new setup was warranted.  🙂

Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 14 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7