Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Messenger/Zoom/Google Meet: All Drop CONSISTENTLY on Brand New and Updated Chromebooks

lw187
Guide

Messenger/Zoom/Google Meet: All Drop CONSISTENTLY on Brand New and Updated Chromebooks

WiFi signal shows as strong or medium, at a minimum, and connection is lost. 

AX is enabled because why invest so much and not enable AX? 2347, RBR850 wired to RBS850 units (4 total). 

WiFi channels set to low interference channels. 20/40 off. 

What have I forgotten? Perhaps, just perhaps, Netgear could own and fix this rather than dragging me through terrible tier 1 support that gets nowhere

Message 1 of 11
lw187
Guide

Re: Messenger/Zoom/Google Meet: All Drop CONSISTENTLY on Brand New and Updated Chromebooks

Should be noted, zero connectivity issues with other devices (Ecobees, Apple TVs (5), ipads (4), Imacs (2), Smart TVs 4, etc. 

Message 2 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

If these are the only items not working and other devices and services work, seems to be a problem with the service or something is breaking down between the ISP side and router side. 

What ISP modem do you have again? 

Message 3 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Also does these apps have the problem if you turn OFF all RBS and just connect to the RBR alone? 

Message 4 of 11
lw187
Guide

Furry, really appreciate you. Ty for your help.

Fios g1100 set to bridge mode. RBR850 connected to it in Router mode. 4 RBS850s Ethernet backhaul.

I’m not sure if this situation would persist with only RBR broadcasting. Can try, but haven’t as it is two floors down and I may have a weak signal to those devices it from only the RBR.

I noticed I have AX enabled for both 2.4 and 5. I can try disabling the AX for 2.4 since the bulk of traffic is on 5 and the stuff on 2.4 is all low usage stuff like thermostats. Maybe that will magically improve matters.

I’ve also considered enabling the guest network and using it on only these devices to see if the chromebooks would work then.

I’ve also changed “Name Servers” from Automatic Name Servers to Google Name Servers in my chromebooks’ settings

On the chrome books I’ve also tried setting the
Message 5 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Try with just the RBR alone is just a short test to see if any of those apps continue to experience problems. 

Lets try to establish if the RBR and these apps are having problems. 

Depending on these results, might have you change the modem to router mode and RBR to AP mode and then re-check the RBR and apps alone...

Message 6 of 11
lw187
Guide

Interesting idea. Why do you think that might help ?
Message 7 of 11
GrandpaR
Tutor

We have a similar problem.

300Mbps service from Comcast. Medium size house. R6400v2 router. Everything runs good, EXCEPT somedays, two Chromebooks and a Win 10 PC will frequently drop during Google Classroom Meet. They drop out of the Meet and reconnect in 3-30 seconds. I tried switching to the 2.4GHz band for it's longer distance, but it didn't help. A little better when users are 20 feet away in same room vs 30 feet away and around one wall. However, I can get great signal further away (in the same direction) out on the deck.

Seems like something is making Meet super-sensitive. Today, I tried setting a QoS rule to High on the Chromebooks, but then I see Google doesn't recommend using QoS. (No one streaming video or other high usage on other devices during Meet.)

(I also have some days (or two) when I have to reboot the R6400v2 multiple times during the day - it just locks up, drops WiFi and Ethernet and admin control. Then it will run fine for 3+ weeks at a time. I suspect channel congestion, but that shouldn't lock out Ethernet and admin access via Ethernet. I've suspected overheating and put a small fan blowing on it, but it's run weeks without the fan. Suspected heavy backup traffic to external ReadyShare drive, so I disabled them, but still had failures the day after disabling ReadyShare.)

I've been thinking of upgrading to a NetGear RAX35 (I'd rather have an RAX40 or RAX50, but they're pricey). Only have one new laptop that supports AX and it's normally on Ethernet, so no big speed gain expected. I'm not sure if the OFDMA would help with congestion - we do have 3 phones, 2 tablets, 3 PCs, 2 Chromebooks, plus about a dozen IoT devices, mostly 2.4GHz pre-n, so our 2.4GHz band is rather congested. Also, the RAX35-50 (medium house) appear to have a bit less distance than the R6400v2 (medium to large house), so I don't know if I would take a step back.

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 8 of 11
Mikey94025
Hero

@GrandpaR wrote:

300Mbps service from Comcast. Medium size house. R6400v2 router. Everything runs good, EXCEPT somedays, two Chromebooks and a Win 10 PC will frequently drop during Google Classroom Meet. They drop out of the Meet and reconnect in 3-30 seconds.

This is the Orbi forum so you might get better help from the forum specific to your Netgear router model.  But make sure that you don't have Double NAT, i.e., disable the Comcast router functionality or put your Netgear device into Access Point mode.  Double NAT might be exacerbating your disconnects.

The other thing to try is to twiddle any wireless settings and hope they are contributing to your disconnects.  The Orbi AC series has Beamforming, MIMO and Fast Roaming toggles though these are automatic and cannot be controlled in the Orbi AX series.

Message 9 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

For your model router, Please post about any questions and information in the General router forum:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/General-WiFi-Routers-Non/bd-p/home-wifi-routers-general

Your router is fairly older and maybe time to update it and get into something newer that can handle online meeting programs. 

For any RAX series router help and information, please post in the RAX series forum:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Routers-with-WiFi-6-AX/bd-p/en-home-routers-nighthawk-wif...

Good Luck. 

@GrandpaR wrote:

300Mbps service from Comcast. Medium size house. R6400v2 router. Everything runs good, EXCEPT somedays, two Chromebooks and a Win 10 PC will frequently drop during Google Classroom Meet. They drop out of the Meet and reconnect in 3-30 seconds. I tried switching to the 2.4GHz band for it's longer distance, but it didn't help. A little better when users are 20 feet away in same room vs 30 feet away and around one wall. However, I can get great signal further away (in the same direction) out on the deck.

Seems like something is making Meet super-sensitive. Today, I tried setting a QoS rule to High on the Chromebooks, but then I see Google doesn't recommend using QoS. (No one streaming video or other high usage on other devices during Meet.)

(I also have some days (or two) when I have to reboot the R6400v2 multiple times during the day - it just locks up, drops WiFi and Ethernet and admin control. Then it will run fine for 3+ weeks at a time. I suspect channel congestion, but that shouldn't lock out Ethernet and admin access via Ethernet. I've suspected overheating and put a small fan blowing on it, but it's run weeks without the fan. Suspected heavy backup traffic to external ReadyShare drive, so I disabled them, but still had failures the day after disabling ReadyShare.)

I've been thinking of upgrading to a NetGear RAX35 (I'd rather have an RAX40 or RAX50, but they're pricey). Only have one new laptop that supports AX and it's normally on Ethernet, so no big speed gain expected. I'm not sure if the OFDMA would help with congestion - we do have 3 phones, 2 tablets, 3 PCs, 2 Chromebooks, plus about a dozen IoT devices, mostly 2.4GHz pre-n, so our 2.4GHz band is rather congested. Also, the RAX35-50 (medium house) appear to have a bit less distance than the R6400v2 (medium to large house), so I don't know if I would take a step back.

Message 10 of 11
GrandpaR
Tutor

I don't think I'm having issues with Double NAT. At least, there is no Comcast equipment involved. I have my own Motorola-ARRIS SURFboard SB6183 Cable Modem and a NetGear R6400v2 router.

I believe the R6400v2 has Beamforming. I don't expect newer protocols like MIMO will help us much with older equipment.

Twiddling with settings usually just gets me in trouble. "I know enough to be dangerous," as my brother would put it.
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7