Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Migrating from RBR50 to RBRE960

306Orbi
Star

Migrating from RBR50 to RBRE960

Hello Netgear Community...

I just ordered my RBR E960 Wifi 6E Orbi Router and Satellite Package and it is due to arrive Friday.

I am migrating from Orbi RBR50 to this new Orbi and am very concerned if I will have to go out and reconfigure many of my devices - especially the IOT devices such as Nest Smoke Detectors.

Have over 75 IP addresses being used in the house - dont want to spend the entire thanksgiving weekend re configuring different devices.

Are there any best practices to transition painlessly?

For exapmple backing up the settings of the RBR50 (the file is called NETGEAR_Orbi.cfg ) and then restoring to the RBR E 960?

I will appreciate any guidance.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Migrating from RBR50 to RBRE960

You can't use a back up file from the 50 series and load it on to the 960 series. Completely different systems.

Wirelessly, as long as you use the same SSID name and PW from the 50 series on the 960 series, your wireless devices will reconnect with out too much hassle. I recommend that you leave the 50 series RBR ON while you get the 960 setup. Once set up and running. Just turn OFF the 50 series RBR and your wireless devices will connect to the 960 system. 

Message 2 of 6
plemans
Guru

I wouldn't use a backup configuration. Its different hardware. 

Your devices should auto-reconnect if you're using the same ssid. Its just the address reservations (if you used them) that you'd need to redo. 

Message 3 of 6
lancekelly
Initiate

If it makes you feel any better, I just performed a similar upgrade -- from the RBR850 to the 960.  In terms of wireless connectivity, I set my SSID to be the same.  It was basically a seamless upgrade -- I did have to upgrade the firmware twice on the 2 Satellites because Satellite 2 was having a problem connecting to Satellite 1 wirelessly.  However, everything else went very smoothly.  I did not have to reconfigure any of my wireless or wired devices on the network -- and, I have 24 devices total.  The speed is blistering fast on the 960 -- you should notice a major difference.  Hope this helps.  Lance

Message 4 of 6
Foden
Apprentice

I prefer to use reservations for my network devices so always have an Excel worksheet, notepad would do, with the IP / Description / MAC info. Then its a simple copy and paste from one router to the next (or pihole as that's currently handling DHCP)

As per others, set the same SSID(s) and password(s) on your new router and the majority of your devices will be non the wiser, any that are troublesome should be fixed by power cycling them

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@306Orbi wrote:

Hello Netgear Community...

I just ordered my RBR E960 Wifi 6E Orbi Router and Satellite Package and it is due to arrive Friday.

I am migrating from Orbi RBR50 to this new Orbi and am very concerned if I will have to go out and reconfigure many of my devices - especially the IOT devices such as Nest Smoke Detectors.

Have over 75 IP addresses being used in the house - dont want to spend the entire thanksgiving weekend re configuring different devices.

Are there any best practices to transition painlessly?

For exapmple backing up the settings of the RBR50 (the file is called NETGEAR_Orbi.cfg ) and then restoring to the RBR E 960?

I will appreciate any guidance.

Thanks.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7