skeelo
Luminary

Multiple Issues: Slow Speed, Network Map Error, Phantom Satellite

Firmware:V3.2.16.6_1.4.4

ISP Modem: Zyxel C3000Z

Provider: Century Link 1gbps up/ down fiber

Home sq ft: ~6,500

3 satellites and distances:

• ~30 ft to RBS upper level 1 (wireless backhaul)
  • ~30 ft to RBS upper level 2 (wired backhaul)
  • ~30 ft to RBS lower level (wired backhaul)
  • RBR on main level

Have been using this system without fail (aside from a reset once or twice) for more than 6 months.  Full 1gbps wired and wirelessly on devices that support those speeds, ~500 mbps for all others.  Was out of town for four days and as some point the network went down losing connectivity to both wired backhaul satellites, wireless backhaul satellite stayed connected as did the router.  Multiple remote reboots tried but they would not come back online.

Fast forward to getting back home, the only way to get the satellites to reconnect was to unplug everything (RBR, RBS, Modem) and plug in one at a time.  I have connectivity again across all satellites, which is great, however, the speeds are 1/3 to 1/2 of what they were prior to this issue.  Plugging directly into the modem gives me full 1 gbps speed up and down, so I am fairly confident the issue lies with the RBR/ RBS.  Further, the network map is now wrong.  It is showing the lower level wired backhaul as connected wirelessly to RBR (was previously showing wired) and the upper level wired backhaul as connected wired but to the lower level satellite (was previously wired to RBR).  The upper level wireless backhaul is showing connected wirelessly to the RBR as it should.

The phantom satellite looks to be a MyQ garage door opener.  Based on an earlier search it appears the only way to eliminate that would be to hard reset the system.

Any ideas?

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
skeelo
Luminary

Re: Multiple Issues: Slow Speed, Network Map Error, Phantom Satellite

Whelp, appears to be the switch.

I tested hardwired speeds at the modem and RBR, found both to be near 1gbps.  Tested at the switch in an open port and saw speeds drop to 1/3-1/2.  Reset the switch and speeds are where they should be at the switch and wall plates.

Looks to have fixed the network mapping issue as well.  I am going to leave the phantom satellite in place for now.  I do not want to deal with factory resetting everything and setting back up manually and I am concerned a backup file would "reload" the phantom satellite.

Thanks for your help.  I should have thought to check at the switch and RBR prior to posting.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 10

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What mode is the modem working in? Router or Modem only?

Are the RBS wired directly connected to the RBR? Or is there a LAN switch in between the RBS and RBR?
IF there is a switch, mfr and model please... 

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

I would review this:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Community-FAQ-My-Orbi-speeds-are-slow-inconsistent-and-don-...

Regarding Phantom RBS:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Phantom-Satellite-On-Phone-App/m-p/1991846#M8484

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/RBR852-App-started-showing-an-additional-satellite/td-p/192...

Message 2 of 10
skeelo
Luminary

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What mode is the modem working in? Router or Modem only?

Router mode.

Are the RBS wired directly connected to the RBR? Or is there a LAN switch in between the RBS and RBR?
IF there is a switch, mfr and model please... 

RBS are connected to RBR using a LAN switch.  Araknis AN110SWR24

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

3-4 nieghbors, all 50-70 ft away.

As mentioned, no issues prior to the system going down this weekend and no changes to the setup since first installed.

I would review this:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Community-FAQ-My-Orbi-speeds-are-slow-inconsistent-and-don-...

Regarding Phantom RBS:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Phantom-Satellite-On-Phone-App/m-p/1991846#M8484

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/RBR852-App-started-showing-an-additional-satellite/td-p/192...

Will do, thanks.

Message 3 of 10
skeelo
Luminary

Whelp, appears to be the switch.

I tested hardwired speeds at the modem and RBR, found both to be near 1gbps.  Tested at the switch in an open port and saw speeds drop to 1/3-1/2.  Reset the switch and speeds are where they should be at the switch and wall plates.

Looks to have fixed the network mapping issue as well.  I am going to leave the phantom satellite in place for now.  I do not want to deal with factory resetting everything and setting back up manually and I am concerned a backup file would "reload" the phantom satellite.

Thanks for your help.  I should have thought to check at the switch and RBR prior to posting.

Message 4 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

That's ok. Glad to be a pointer for you. 

I recommend non manged non green ethernet switches for use in between the RBR and RBS. 
NG GS-105/108v4 series works, D-Links DGS-105/108 and HP Procurve 1400/1800 series also work. 

Message 5 of 10
skeelo
Luminary

I know what non-managed switches are.  What is non-green?  I have never heard of that before.

Message 6 of 10
skeelo
Luminary

Disregard.  Green = power saving.  Will keep an eye on this for now and if the switch causes issues again I will swap out.

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 10
skeelo
Luminary

Resurrecting this since my current switch continues to give me problems.  I need a 24 port switch and the handful you suggested appear to be 5 or 8 port.  Would the NG JGS524v2 fit the bill or do you recommend something else?

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

I don't know for sure. You can try it out. Only 24 ports that I know work is HP procurve 1400 and 1410s. I see there is a 1410 on amazon...

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7