Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Mystery Device Attached to my network

Toddandrews
Follower

Mystery Device Attached to my network

OK so I seem to have some "mystery" device connected to my guest network.  

Device name is ESP-402C08, IP address 192.168.2.2 and MAC address C8:C9:A3:40:2C:08, and it's connected to the 2.4G Guest network.

I tried to browse to 192.168.2.2 but Safari does not connect to anything.   

I have not attached anything to the guest network, and just to be sure, I tried blocking it and none of the usual suspects of IOT stopped working. 

Anybody know what this is?  Should I block it?  Or is it some weird vagarity of how the satellites mesh up for 2.4G guest and if I block it it's a problem?   

I have an RBSE960. 

Any help appreciated.  

Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: Mystery Device Attached to my network

are you using icloud relay or private mac/ip address? If so disable those and connect/reconnect your devices with the private mac

Message 2 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

This MAC address appears to be one of those "randomized" MAC addresses, which are now part of the software of Apple and Android phones/tablets and laptops.

https://www.macvendorlookup.com 

The Device name created by the Orbi uses the last part of the MAC address to create "something unique".

I have yet to come across an Internet of Things (IoT) device which supports that feature. (They are not likely to be connecting to new WiFi access points all the time and thus be open to 'tracking'.)  My guess is that one of your devices which does have this feature was connected to the Guest WiFi at one time (perhaps as a test) and has connected to it again.  The only way to narrow this down would be to open those devices and either:

• Disable that feature, or
  • "Forget" the Orbi guest WiFi SSID.
Message 3 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

p.s. It is not a surprise that the Safari browser did not find anything at 192.18.2.2 for two reasons:

• The device is probably not hosting a web site, so it does not accept connection requests on ports 80 or 443, and
  • The guest WiFi network is prevented from communicating with the primary WiFi network.  The original Orbi products had an option to allow (or not allow) devices on the guest WiFi to communicate with the primary network. My understanding is that the overwhelming sentiment from users was "keep them separate" and that option no longer exists on the newer Orbis.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7