Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear ORBI showing connected but no wireless connection

RBK853onATT
Tutor

I've been having the exact same issues with a 2 month old RBK853 system with an AT&T 1G fiber connection. It has been dropping offline for 2-5 minutes at a time since the install, but for the first month I tried to troubleshoot on my own with various settings (RTS/CTS, DNS, Modem changes, etc.) For the past few weeks I've been working with Netgear Level 2 support. We tried all of the standard mitigations to no avail. Then loaded the new 3.2.11.2 firmware on Wednesday and things seemed to be fixed on Thursday/Friday. But then Saturday evening I had one drop followed by multiple drops on Sunday morning, with one requiring a power cycle to reestablish a connection. 

I thought I'd register and let you know that you all are not alone. My L2 contact in tech support has been pretty good, so I'll let you know the steps we're taking to (hopefully) resolve. At this point I'm thinking that it may be a hardware issue that needs to be RMA'd.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 26 of 41
Tcrus
Luminary

Thanks for the info, good to see I am not alone here. It's just insane how it will work then nothing, even with resetting it to factory settings it shows as connected but no WIFI. I am on comcast gigabit connection and it went smooth for 6 months then this. No WIFI when kids are off from school is not good. I am leaning towards hardware issues with the ORBI but will keep trouble shooting it until I can solve this problem.  

Message 27 of 41
Mikey94025
Hero

1. Have you already set the CTS/RTS thresholds to 2347 for both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz (website Advanced...Wireless Settings)?
  2. [  Sorry, I see now in a later post you already tried this ]  If it's a DNS issue (but this doesn't really make sense) then you can factor it out by using Google DNS instead of your router and ISP: https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns.  In Advanced...Internet Setup change DNS address from Get Automatically to DNS servers 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
  3. Also, is your Comcast mode bridged to the Orbi or are you using it with double NAT?  This also shouldn't affect your wireless connectivity, but another variable you can play with.

Message 28 of 41
Tcrus
Luminary

I did change the CTS/RTS threshholds. I changed the DNS just because of multiple errors in event viewer just one more thing to eliminate. There is just no consistancy in the errors and I cant replicate it but when it happens its almost like the ports are broke on either the router or MB. In settings there are only so many things it can be so makes me believe its the router and or MB. Time will tell, I guess but its very annoying for sure. It could also be my ISP because when it does happen its almost like my MAC address is not being registered. I did have my first network cable go out on me a few weeks ago and god that took forever to solve, simpliest fix seems like the hardest to find or at least overlook. If it is the MB or router it would be my first to ever go out and ive been through lots.  

Message 29 of 41
FURRYe38
Guru

Is the ASRock PC the only device experiencing this problem is is all of your devices doing this? 

Message 30 of 41
Tcrus
Luminary

Asrock pc is my main pc/server that connects all my devices. I have another pc thats hard lined in and it works but again the hardline works when the router does not on the Asrock. The hardline internet has worked on every machine so maybe that can rule out the MB. I have seen the error check your network cables/broken cable consistantly when I have this WIFI problem, sometimes an ISP reset fixes the problem other times it does not which makes me think its MAC related or router hardware

Message 31 of 41
FURRYe38
Guru

What I'm asking is that do all other devices, wired and wireless connect to the internet with out problems? or do they exhibit the same problem as your ASRock PC does? 

Message 32 of 41
Tcrus
Luminary

Yes they kinda do exhibit the same problem BUT nothing has been consistant. Sometimes the ISP says modem is offline and nothing works (new modem) and a refresh signal fixes it. Other times it shows online and WIFI does not work for any device even though it shows my SSID and connected, then the wired connections will work but the WIFI does not. Sorry if I sound confusing but its not a clear cut answer, I am just as confused lol   

Message 33 of 41
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, ya is kinda non consistent which makes it hard. 

Do you have you old router. Something to try with your old router to help rule out Orbi. Connect it up. Turn OFF Orbi. Test. See if same thing still happens. Wired and wireless with new modem. If it does, Then seems that something at the modem or upstream is causing problems. 

If the ISP is seeing the modem off line as well, I would think there is a problem between the modem and there side...

Message 34 of 41
RBK853onATT
Tutor

In my case: I've also tried changing the CTS/RTS thresholds and DNS settings, as well as running in both router and AP modes. Nothing has solved the problems. When an outage occurs, I can verify that the internet from the ISP (AT&T) remains active via a PC hardwired to the modem/router. Everything on the Orbi network remains attached to the wireless signal but nothing is reachable - even the Obi router at 10.0.0.1 (while in router mode). I've even hard configured a Mac to use Cloudflare's DNS, but the outages still occur. So it doesn't appear to be a DNS issue. Also, I have a few items hard wired to the router or satellites via Cat6, and those go down too - so it's not a wireless problem. The outages seem to come in bunches, but there is no consistency to them - sometimes they're minutes apart, sometimes hours, or days. One of the recommended solutions from Netgear support was to roll back the firmware to x.9.2 but interestingly this seemed to fail. We ended up upgrading after x.11.2 was released.

I haven't had time to talk with Netgear support since the firmware upgrade failed, but hopefully in a few hours.

Message 35 of 41
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend making a new post about your problem. This thread is already kind of confusing and hard to keep track of. Lets make a new post and we'll help you out there. Thank you. 

@RBK853onATT wrote:

In my case: I've also tried changing the CTS/RTS thresholds and DNS settings, as well as running in both router and AP modes. Nothing has solved the problems. When an outage occurs, I can verify that the internet from the ISP (AT&T) remains active via a PC hardwired to the modem/router. Everything on the Orbi network remains attached to the wireless signal but nothing is reachable - even the Obi router at 10.0.0.1 (while in router mode). I've even hard configured a Mac to use Cloudflare's DNS, but the outages still occur. So it doesn't appear to be a DNS issue. Also, I have a few items hard wired to the router or satellites via Cat6, and those go down too - so it's not a wireless problem. The outages seem to come in bunches, but there is no consistency to them - sometimes they're minutes apart, sometimes hours, or days. One of the recommended solutions from Netgear support was to roll back the firmware to x.9.2 but interestingly this seemed to fail. We ended up upgrading after x.11.2 was released.

I haven't had time to talk with Netgear support since the firmware upgrade failed, but hopefully in a few hours.

Message 36 of 41
Tcrus
Luminary

Gonna start a new thread but I think wre have the same issue, i have devices connected to the router hardlined and they also do not respond passing through router, who is your ISP?

Message 37 of 41
Mikey94025
Hero

@RBK853onATT wrote:

When an outage occurs, I can verify that the internet from the ISP (AT&T) remains active via a PC hardwired to the modem/router. Everything on the Orbi network remains attached to the wireless signal but nothing is reachable - even the Obi router at 10.0.0.1 (while in router mode)

1. Can you explain how your ISP signal can be multiplexed to both your hardwire PC and the Orbi?  So you're not using bridge mode and instead your modem is also a router.  Then you have double NAT and while this is not recommended, it also works just fine for general internet and browser access (I did this for years).
  2. I don't think the Orbi router should not be 10.0.0.1 - For me that is my Comcast modem, even if I'm running in bridge mode.  The Orbi router should be at the IP address set in Orbi Advanced...Setup...LAN Setup, LAN TCP/IP Setup.
  3. You should also test connecting devices by network cable to the Orbi, so you can distinguish if this is an Orbi wireless or Orbi connectivity (affecting both Orbi wired and Orbi wireless) issue.
  4. Sorry if you've already tried this, but it should be easy to diagnose if this is the Orbi or the ISP modem.
    1. If your modem is setup for router (not bridge) and the PC hardwired to the ISP modem has issues then it is not the Orbi.
    2. If your PC does not have issues but clients connected to the Orbi (wired to Orbi or wireless) have issues then that points to the Orbi,
    3. Note that in bridge mode you cannot connect multiple devices to your modem, only one.

Message 38 of 41
FURRYe38
Guru

If so, this kind of indicates a problem up stream from the RBR in AP Mode.

@Tcrus wrote:

Gonna start a new thread but I think wre have the same issue, i have devices connected to the router hardlined and they also do not respond passing through router, who is your ISP?

Message 39 of 41
RBK853onATT
Tutor

I agree with Tcrus that the issue appears to be the same, which is why I posted to this thread. I'm working with Netgear L2 support which so far has been good so I'm not necessarily looking for help here - but rather just wanted to provide the information I'm receiving to others who appear to be in the same boat. (Thanks though!) I'll create another thread if or when the help is needed - otherwise I'll provide the resolution when I receive one.  In the interim, I'll answer the below questions:

1) AT&T doesn't provide full bridge mode unfortunately but rather a DMZ+ mode only. That said, I don't use it as in spite of the name it seems to create other issues with certain forms of video traffic (illogical I admit, but that's AT&T.) So you are correct that if I run the Orbi in router mode I'm double NAT'd. This is only an issue if there is a conflict on the subnets or unnecessarily complicated if any sort of port forwarding is needed. But in this case I don't have any firewall pinholes and I've verifiied that the assigned subnets are completely different. BUT in any event I've run the Orbi in both AP and Router mode and documented the drop outs in both cases. I prefer router mode for a variety of reasons but have run AP mode for weeks - the dropout issues seem the same in either configuration.

2) I'm not sure what to tell you here - the RBR850 does absolutely use a default out of the box IP of 10.0.0.1 when in router mode. Or at least mine does. I've tried the other subnet range secondarily offered in the GUI as well but this also didn't resolve the problem. (It logically shouldn't unless the problem were a conflict.)

3) I do have a number of devices hard wired to the RBR850 as well as one of the RBS850's. These wired devices also drop when an event occurs.

4) I agree with your logic, and I've tried all of this. The dropouts seem to happen randomly but when they occur I'm often in a good position to diagnose as I'm working from home these days. The PC hardwired to the AT&T router is always online and functional, and the units connected via hardwire *and* wireless all drop offline from the Orbi. It's not a DNS problem - the whole connection is down. (I've also tried configuring the Orbi to use the Google or Cloudflare DNS services - both are faster that AT&T's but the drops continued.) When an outage occurs, I can't even reach the internal Orbi interface from either wireless or hardwired connections. Oddly, the WiFi network seems to remain "up" as my computers/phones remain attached to it. So not a total crash and reboot. I've also checked the logs in both the AT&T and Orbi systems and don't see any obvious error codes. I do see the AT&T router logging disconnects/reconnects from the RBR, but the AT&T system isn't throwing any errors - it's just a "IP XXX reconnect" type message. And at the end of the day this AT&T router has been working flawlessly for 2+ years with my old Apple system. I grant that it's theoretically possible that it broke at exactly the same time as the Orbi upgrade, but seems pretty unlikely.

Anyway, I was really pulling for the new 3.2.11.2 firmware to resolve the issue - the tech support help indicated that it would likely do so. And things were better for around 48 hours, but then the drops popped back up again. So I'll let you all know if/when we find a path through!

@Mikey94025 wrote:

@RBK853onATT wrote:

When an outage occurs, I can verify that the internet from the ISP (AT&T) remains active via a PC hardwired to the modem/router. Everything on the Orbi network remains attached to the wireless signal but nothing is reachable - even the Obi router at 10.0.0.1 (while in router mode)

1. Can you explain how your ISP signal can be multiplexed to both your hardwire PC and the Orbi?  So you're not using bridge mode and instead your modem is also a router.  Then you have double NAT and while this is not recommended, it also works just fine for general internet and browser access (I did this for years).
  2. I don't think the Orbi router should not be 10.0.0.1 - For me that is my Comcast modem, even if I'm running in bridge mode.  The Orbi router should be at the IP address set in Orbi Advanced...Setup...LAN Setup, LAN TCP/IP Setup.
  3. You should also test connecting devices by network cable to the Orbi, so you can distinguish if this is an Orbi wireless or Orbi connectivity (affecting both Orbi wired and Orbi wireless) issue.
  4. Sorry if you've already tried this, but it should be easy to diagnose if this is the Orbi or the ISP modem.
    1. If your modem is setup for router (not bridge) and the PC hardwired to the ISP modem has issues then it is not the Orbi.
    2. If your PC does not have issues but clients connected to the Orbi (wired to Orbi or wireless) have issues then that points to the Orbi,
    3. Note that in bridge mode you cannot connect multiple devices to your modem, only one.

Message 40 of 41
Bandito
Luminary

When the 'outage' occurs, have you tried some very basic troubleshooting steps?  Here's what I'd try:

1.  Verify that the clients have a valid IP address from the router and not a self-assigned address in the 169.254.x.x range.  If you have a self-assigned IP address, this would indicate a DHCP issue.

2.  Ping the RBR850 (router) to ensure that you can 'see' it via the network.  If you can't Ping it, then there is a fundamental problem with the network itself not passing data.

3.  Ping an Internet address, such as www.google.com.  If you get a response, then things should be working correctly.  If not, then there is likely a DNS issue.

These three basic steps should give you a lot of insight into what's happening on your network.

What AT&T gateway are you using?  Mine is a BGW210 and it has a Pass-through mode that provides a raw Internet connection to each of the four LAN ports on the back.  This is really nice as you can add other devices and not just the Orbi to the gateway to monitor the raw Internet performance at the gateway itself.  Just remember that this is a raw unfiltered connection, so if you're going to place a PC on it full time, you should enable a firewall and take all appropriate precautions.

If I am understanding things correctly, when the 'outage' occurs, the Orbi's radios are still broadcasting a signal and your clients remain attached to the router, but get no Internet access.   When this has occurred, have you tried to communicate just within your internal network from one device to another?  Does that still work?  This would indicate whether or not the router is still passing local traffic. 

Hopefully, you've already gone through these basic troubleshooting steps, but sometimes it doesn't hurt to revisit the fundamentals.

Message 41 of 41
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 40 replies
  • 11 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7