Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear Orbi AX4200 New set Up

Misterkeg
Aspirant

Netgear Orbi AX4200 New set Up

Well, I just set up my new Orbi AX4200 Mesh wifi system in my home. After watching Youtube videos concerning the set up, and reading articles online, it was finally the time to get it done. I was replacing a 2018 Netgear Nighthawk router, and my old Apple Time capsule/router. I use Spectrum 200 mbps service, and frequently only got up to 25 mbps, maybe sometimes 45 if I was lucky. Lot's of deadspots around my 2500 sq ft 2 story home, which is why I purchased the AX4200 system. After what was a pretty simple set up procedure, it quickly turned troublesome. As per the Youtube video I watched about the set up, I indeed needed to reboot my modem twice to get a signal to my Orbi router (comes with 2 satillites). I followed the intructions on the newly installed Orbi app on my Apple iphone 11 Pro. It seemed I was actually going to get this done in about a half hour! Then, after registration, firmware update, security questions, which indicated I was about to wrap this all up, I was pretty excited about how easy it actually was, not just from the Netgear ads, but from what I was getting done. Then...I never got to complete the set up. Orbi app on my iphone could not find the the mesh system. After several attempts of having the app search for the system, I was getting nowhere. I then tried to start from the begenning, two more attempts....nothing, no system found. So I tried the old back up of calling tech support, the number was on the box. It was purchased at Costco. Surprisingly, the call was answered pretty quickly, but the person on the other end was VERY hard to understand, we had to both ask each other most questions several times to confirm what we both meant, it was very stressful. In addition, the connection was ridiculously bad. Luckily for me, after she assigned me a case number, she transferred me to tech support. This gentleman was a lot more understandable, and the connection was clear. I found that if you are in the set up process and when you get to the point where you have to join the "ORBI09" local network to complete your mesh system setup, and you are prompted to join, the after clicking yes, you get another message saying "cannot connect", you are dead in the water. What you have to do (in my case anyway), is while the Orbi router is still connected to the modem, disconnect the power to the Orbi router, then re-plug it in, after the white light in front of the orbi router stops blinking, get a paperclip and press the reset button. This small step is what I was told to do my tech support. While they were still on the phone I was able to complete the set up and now have a minimum of 200 mbps througout the house upstairs and down (my router is upstairs in one corner of the west side of the house). My other 2 satillites are spread out in other rooms downstairs. I even have over 200 mbps out in hte back yard where I used to have 12-15 mbps with the old Nighthawk and Apple Time Capsule combo. I was putting ALL my hopes in solving this problem of bad wifi signal in my home, and I think I finally found the solution. One last thought. As per the youtube video I saw, when you are setting up the system, instead of placing your satillites where you are going to leave them as they tell you in the app instructions, plug them in when told to, but in the same room or next room over, that way they will set up a lot faster. If my system continues to work like it does, it's going to be a great to finally stream again without buffering or getting picture degradation while watching movies. If you have any tips or thoughts on the Orbi Mesh system, please share them, thanks!    

Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Netgear Orbi AX4200 New set Up

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and Orbi system been performed since last update?

I recommmend setting up the system using a wired or wireless PC or laptop and web browser pointed at orbilogin.com or 192.168.1.1

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

You can find other speed diagnosis steps in the community faq: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Community-FAQ-My-Orbi-speeds-are-slow-inconsistent-and-don-...

Is Armor enabled? 

Message 2 of 8
Misterkeg
Aspirant

Yes, Armor is enabled. Is it anygood? I've been getting a couple of messages it had blocked potential spam, but other than that, I haven't noticed anything good or bad about having the Armor installed. I don't know what they charge for it after the 1 year free trial, but I guess I'll wait and see how well it works. Thanks for all the tips in your message, It's up and running and everything is working as intened. 

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Been a mixed bag. See posts that it seems to cause problems for some. 

I would try disabling Armor, once you applied the change, power OFF the RBR for 15 seconds then back on then check again...

Message 4 of 8
Misterkeg
Aspirant

I was having problems connecting to an older HP OFFICEJET over my Orbi WiFi network, so then I disabled the Armor security software, saved the change, and was able to print again. When you mentioned rebooting the RBR after making the change (shutting off Armor), what is the RBR? By shutting off, do you mean rebooting on the Orbi app, or disconnecting from the power source? Thanks again.

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommemd Power OFF the RBR=Orbi router, then power it back ON after disabling Armor. Don't just reboot it. 

Message 6 of 8
Misterkeg
Aspirant

Thanks again for the tip!! Hope ypou had a great Thanksgiving. 

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements