Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear Orbi AX4200 Wired Backhaul

InMountains
Guide

Netgear Orbi AX4200 Wired Backhaul

I am about to purchase a set of the Orbi RBK752 AX4200 (they seem to be reivewed better and to be more reliable than the AX6000). Two quick questions:  

I want to set up an ethernet wired backhaul to the satellite, to improve its performance (I want the signal from the satellite to reach an out building a couple hundred feet away, across open ground... the satelllite will be in a window with an unobstructed view to the building). Is a wired backhaul "plug and play", or do I need to assign the satellite its own IP address (static?) as I think I've read in these forums?

Second, I haven't seen single Orbi AX4200 satellites for sale as "add ons" to the system, as there are in other Orbi models. Will these be coming down the pike, if I want to expand the system later? Or can I even use my soon-to-be-retired Apple Airport Extreme Base Station in bridge mode, ethernet connected as an additional (admittedly weaker) satellite if I want?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Ethernet connected RBS is plug in play.Be sure you have a good Cat6 or better CAT6A buried between the buildings. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

You can add on a RBS850 to the 7 series system. No idea if or when RBS750s will be sole separately. 

Message 2 of 14
InMountains
Guide

Thanks, Furry, for your quick respone. The main Orbi router will be in the center of the house. The CAT 6 (or CAT 7) cable will run through the basement and to a porch connected to the house. The satellite will sit in the window of the porch facing with a straight view across open lawn to the studio. I am hoping this will be enough to broadcast the signal to the studio building. The idea was to avoid burying ethernet cable up to the studio. That would be major trenching that I just do not want to do.   If the "porch satellite" fails, I might have to go the antennae point to point route (trying to avoid).   

Another idea, would be to use the RBS50Y- AC3000 Outdoor Satellite in an open utility barn that is adjacent to the studio, to daisy chain the broadcast signal from the "porch satellite", if need be. But is the AC3000 Outdoor Satellite compatible with the AX4200? If not, would I be smarter to simply go with the AC3000 system? Doesn't have the advantages of wifi 6 though.

Message 3 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

The distance will be too far for wireless. You'll need to bury a LAN cable, CAT6A. 

RBSY isn't compatible as of yet. No idea if or when that will happen. 

Message 4 of 14
InMountains
Guide

Thanks, Furry, about the compatibility.  Good to know.  

I was told otherwise about the distance on the Apple forums. Folks were recommending the AC3000 a month or so back (the AX4200 hadn't come out yet), and thought it would bridge the distance.  I get one bar of wifi in the studio now, it seems with the old Airport Extreme in the middle of the house (though I don't know if that is a kind of "artifact" on the phone when I get into the studio. I don't want to go through burying a CAT cable. Would be a bit of a nightmare.  If I need to, I'll use a point to point antenna system... but after much discussion on the Apple forums, the concensus was that the AC3000 satellite would likely bridge the distance... I wonder if I use the AC3000 satellite (wired backhaul) in the porch and then the outdoor satellite to daisy chain it should work... then the distances are just not that far. Or another satellite in the stuido window. The two satellites would "see" each other across the yard without obstruction. Otherwise, I think it will be the point to point antenna deal... 

Message 5 of 14
Mikey94025
Hero

Realize that while 5Ghz offers greater speed, it actually has less wireless range than 2.4Ghz.  So you can't expect the newer systems to improve the range over your older ones, unless you leverage their mesh capability to "extend" it further and further away.

Message 6 of 14
InMountains
Guide

Thank you. Yes, I guess that's what I would be doing, leveraging their mesh capabitlities, and crossing fingers.  

I think it is clear I would need a satellite either in the studio building window to "daisy chain" the mesh capabiliites (receiving the signal from the porch staellite) or the outdoor unit on the utility building which is a bit closer.    Wondering if there is a difference in performance in the AC3000 Pro vs. the home version, or is it more in security options, etc. My nearest neighbor is a half mile away at least, so security of my wifi is not that much of a concern. I ask, because a 3 pack of the Pro model is available near me (at a steep cost), the two unit version of the home AC 3000, but no single home AC3000 satellites are available. I might just pay the slight increase for the outdoor satellite, to give me some flexibility, but if the Pro version has a big performance boost, if might be worth the cost. 

Thanks for being patient with me... many options to consider.

Message 7 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the more exact distance between the two buildings? 

You'll have to get the Orbi AX in house and set it up and see how it does...

Message 8 of 14
InMountains
Guide

Thanks again.  Won't I need an additional satellite in the studio to receive and re-broadcast the signal from the porch satellite? Or at least between the two buildings (i.e., in the utility garage, which is closer to the studio... that's where the outdoor unit comes in)?  I would love to go with the AX (4200) in the house, but wouldn't I need a compatible satellite, to be the third unit, and is there one sold alone?

Is there a difference in performance between the "Pro" (business) model of the AC3000 and the home one? Best Buy has the Pro model in a set of three. If it is just security protocol, the "upgrade" would be wasted on me.

I'm concerned about trenching/ burying, because the soil is so "bony" here. Digging the trench to go from the studio to the utility garage/ barn was a major effort. Only 20 feet long, but I removed a huge pile of rocks. Also, part of the area between the buildings is an area on which I sometimes drive and guests park, so the cable would have to be protected in pvc tubing... more expense and work. Add to that, that the ground heaves here (major frost and thaw cycles). So things like the buried invisible fence cable literally both broke connection over time in the areas in which it was driven over, and then "heaved" out of the ground. It was re-buried in pvc housing, and deeper in those spots. If I had the tool the invisible fence guys use to bury there cable, it would be easier, but the automobile issue (need for pvc protection) would persist.

I will check signal/ verify today and measure the distances. Thanks so much again.

Message 9 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya thought the signal could be poor at the studio...something you'll have to try out and see. 

Pro has based of the the home version of the 50 series. I believe they are the same hardware thus similar or same in performances. 

Message 10 of 14
InMountains
Guide

Just went out and took measurements and checked signals. Gave me hope.

I get a full three bars all the way 140 feet from the current Base Station (which is in my office in the middle of the house, with a window looking out on the back yard), also the site of the new Orbi Router.   The satellite will be wired via Cat 7 and placed in a corner of the porch. From here it is 180 feet to the corner of the barn where I will place the outdoor satellite. I am hoping the Orbi Satellites can bridge this distance, as it is completly open (one glass window, no orbstructions).  I get two bars on my phone almost at this spot now from the current base station.  From here is is about 50 feet to the studio, which has double glass doors looking out onto the barn. I've attached a drawing that is somewhat to scale. 

If the Orbis don't work out, I'll investigate a P to P system.  As I said, trenching would be a major pain and expense. 

Thanks again.

Message 11 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it goes. 

Message 12 of 14
InMountains
Guide

Thank you!  I will indeed. Crossing fingers.

Message 13 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements