Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear RBR750 x2 backhaul/daisy still connecting via 5g

solarisfps
Aspirant

Netgear RBR750 x2 backhaul/daisy still connecting via 5g

I live in a 3 bedroom house and i have the Orbi RBR 750 router and 2x satellite i have a cable running from my bedroom downstairs to the kids room to create a backhaul. Then there is a satellite in the living room which is connected via ethernet to the kids room so its daisy chain.  

I updated to firmware V4.6.7.5_2.1.7 to see if this will fix the issue and no luck as of yet it still shows both satellites connected to the route via 5g and i cannot get it to prefer the wired connection. I have turned down the wireless strength to 25% for 5g and no luck doing this either. 

How can i force the satellites to connect via ethernet to the router instead of wireless, it defeats the entire purpose of what i was trying to achieve.  

Message 1 of 18
plemans
Guru

is there any switches in between? is it running from wall plates? 

Have you taken a known good 6ft cable and just put the satellite next to the router and hardwired it in (to test if the backhaul connects)?

Message 2 of 18
solarisfps
Aspirant

I ran a cat 6 cable from upstairs to the kids room and terminated the ends myself. I used a rj45 tester which passed the test.

There are no switches in between the router and the satellites.

The only thing I can think of doing is reterminating the 1st connector I did as maybe there is any issue not sure.
Message 3 of 18
plemans
Guru

Just try moving the satellite first for testing. If it works, you know its the cable run and you can try replacing the ends.  Most people have a spare 6ft cat 5e (or better) cable sitting around. 

Its always good to test if its the cable or the satellite. 

Message 4 of 18
solarisfps
Aspirant

Ive moved the satallite upstairs it shows the connection as wired now backhaul status is out of sync for the sattelite so not sure what is going on with this as well. 

Message 5 of 18
plemans
Guru

So when you move it it shows as wired? You can factory reset the satellite and re-sync it and that should fix the error you have. 

But it kind of indicates that the wiring that was ran has something wrong with it. You can recheck the ends. 

Message 6 of 18
solarisfps
Aspirant

I have done as you have suggested i reterminated the upstairs plug and used a laptop to test the connection on the other end. I ran 2 speed tests and was getting in excess 900mb (1gb connection). I then synced the satillete upstairs and moved it downstairs. When it booted up it showed wired for around 1 min and then changed to wireless itself. I have no idea what to do now. 

Message 7 of 18
plemans
Guru

with it on the 6ft ethernet cable, how long did it stay showing wired?

Message 8 of 18
solarisfps
Aspirant

it seems fine now its showing connection as wired and has been for the past 4 hours so it seems fixed. I just need to send a new wire into the living room as the last satellite is showing 5g so i think its a problem with the cable. 

Using daisy chain how much performance drop would i expect on a tri band router ? 

Message 9 of 18
plemans
Guru

What speeds do you pay for? I wouldn't expect to see much if any drop with a hardwired backhaul

Message 10 of 18
solarisfps
Aspirant

I have 1gb fibre layout is 

Virgin router in modem mode > Orbi RBR750 > RBS 750 > RBS 750 

RBS 750 to RBS 750 will be a daisy chain so i heard you may loose some performance i think this only applies to dual band routers not triband ? 

Thanks

Adam 

Message 11 of 18
plemans
Guru

If you daisy chain over the wireless backhaul, you can loose a little speed because of distance/obstructions between router----satellites. The triband tolerate daisy chaining much better than the dual bands. They loose a significant portion of speed. 

Wired backhaul works great. 

Message 12 of 18
solarisfps
Aspirant

I'm at the end here I'm getting really frustrated the orbi just wants to do what ever it feels like.

To Elimanate all issues with my cable run I have now done the following.

Isp modem > Orbi router> cat6 cable downstairs to kids room > Netgear switch > cat cable to living room > Orbi satellite.

Now testing the cable I have tried a laptop instead of the satellite at the end of the chain speed test was 600/700.

Now replace the laptop at the end of the chain to the following

Orbi satellite > laptop

Orbi phone app shows 5ghz still. Rebooted router and satellite no change. I also notice network switch leds are either off when it's plugged into the orbi and 1 green light flickering. After doing a speed test was only receiving 300mbs which is wifi speeds.
I have verified now it's not the cable it's the orbi.
Message 13 of 18
plemans
Guru

if you take the switch out of the equation, does the satellite show hardwired in?

Message 14 of 18
solarisfps
Aspirant

Nope they don't show being hardwired without the switch they are all still on 5g connection
Message 15 of 18
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

Did you connect Orbi LAN port to Sat's WAN port or LAN port?

Message 16 of 18
solarisfps
Aspirant

Satellites only have 2x ethernet ports so i dont think they are specefic ports for 1 duty. 

I have the internet port connected to my virgin isp port so all is ok with the oreintation. 

Message 17 of 18
plemans
Guru

@solarisfps wrote:

Satellites only have 2x ethernet ports so i dont think they are specefic ports for 1 duty. 

I have the internet port connected to my virgin isp port so all is ok with the oreintation. 

And how is the switch connected? Is it through the virgin gateway? 

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7