Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear Service is Horrible Horrible Horrible

MLUCK
Star

Netgear Service is Horrible Horrible Horrible

I own two RBK750's, one each of two homes.  For months now, neither has been manageable because I can't access the router either through the web interface nor the mobile app (iOS).  So frustrating.  With Netgear support, I get a continuous stream of either unfulfilled promises and total non-responsiveness.  Netgear products used to be good, but the service is consistently pathetic.

Months in, Netgear still has offered no solutions.  They have tried failed patches and firmware updates.  All I'm getting at this point is, "we're trying as hard as we can", followed by days/weeks of silence.  Until the process repeats, with no end in sight.

Netgear has trained me to despise the company. Such a shame.

Message 1 of 21
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Netgear Service is Horrible Horrible Horrible

Early on in the 750 debacle, some users reported that a Factory Reset enabled them to regain access to the router.

Many customers rejected the idea and waited for Netgear to 'push' a solution that would avoid the need to reconfigure the router from scratch.

Did you try the Factory Reset?

Message 2 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

@MLUCK wrote:

I own two RBK750's, one each of two homes.  For months now, neither has been manageable because I can't access the router either through the web interface nor the mobile app (iOS).  So frustrating.  With Netgear support, I get a continuous stream of either unfulfilled promises and total non-responsiveness.  Netgear products used to be good, but the service is consistently pathetic.

Months in, Netgear still has offered no solutions.  They have tried failed patches and firmware updates.  All I'm getting at this point is, "we're trying as hard as we can", followed by days/weeks of silence.  Until the process repeats, with no end in sight.

Netgear has trained me to despise the company. Such a shame.

Message 3 of 21
MLUCK
Star

I wish I could factory reset, but that cure is worse than the disease.  The last time Netgear forced me to factory reset, I lost all my IP address reservations (~75), my VPN config, and a bunch of other parameters, all of which are necessary for my home automation environment.  The idea of recreating all that gives me severe hypertension.  And, in case you're wondering, yes I had made a backup of my environment, but Netgear informed me that it was corrupted and that they couldn't/wouldn't try to repair the file.

So I feel like my only option is to wait for this ill-defined patch to show up one day and be effective.  No definition of how or when this will occur.

Message 4 of 21
MLUCK
Star

Thanks for the reply.

Genuine question in response:  how can I look up the firmware when I can't access the router?

On the modem side, we are a AT&T 1G fiber customer.  Does it help to know the modem model too?

Message 5 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes please. 

And you don't have a backup config file saved do you? 

https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

Message 6 of 21
CrimpOn
Guru

@MLUCK wrote:

And, in case you're wondering, yes I had made a backup of my environment, but Netgear informed me that it was corrupted and that they couldn't/wouldn't try to repair the file.

Perhaps the config file is not totally lost.  There is a program that will print out the contents of an Orbi config file as text.  When sorted, the file present the useful information in an organized way.  Could you perhaps give this a try and see what happens?

https://github.com/Fysac/orbicfg 

There is a compiled version for Windows here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3w1pss8hqk9c2q3/orbicfg.exe?dl=0 

It is so refreshing to hear from someone who is within that magic "90 days of complimentary support" and is able to actually open a case with Netgear.  (Results are not so encouraging.  I had expected that they would request the router serial number from you and say that the firmware would be refreshed as it was for a number of customers.)

Message 7 of 21
MLUCK
Star

The backup file was from the last time Netgear completely screwed me.  This time, which has been going on for months now, I didn't make another backup.  It never dawned on me that I would be able to access my router.  smh

Message 8 of 21
CrimpOn
Guru

Would be useful to see how much useful information is in that old config file
Message 9 of 21
MLUCK
Star

NG told me it was completely corrupted and useless so I didn't save it.  Anyway, it was from the last disaster (like a year ago).  I completely rebuilt and reconfigured my router since then.  That file wouldn't be that useful to me now.

NG is telling me that rolled out the patch to both of my RBR750s, yet neither one works still after many reboot attempts.  

Message 10 of 21
MLUCK
Star

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Looks like it's an Arris BGW210.  I've rebooted it too, and still can't access my router.  Netgear is zero help.  

Can you imagine what would happen if you bought a new car and were unable to access the dashboard or the engine to maintain vehicle?  It would never be tolerated.  And then the manufacturer said it would take months to repair, during which time you can't contact us without paying.  And then they still hadn't fixed it, months later.  And so their answer was, "We're trying as hard as we can and we're sorry.  We don't know what the problem is, but we're working as hard as possible."  Just pathetic.  Netgear has trained me to despise Netgear.

Message 11 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

So you'll need to factory reset and setup from scratch. 

You'll need to save off a new back configuration to file. Always do this each time you make a change to the system. Never hurts to have too many backup configurations on file. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

Message 12 of 21
MLUCK
Star

Factory reseting means spending days reconfiguring.  But I guess I don't have a choice.  So I've been sitting here all afternoon following Netgear's instructions to factory reset.  I get the Amber LED after holding a paper clip into the reset hole for 10+ seconds, but then the router reboots with the same old SSID, not factory reset.  Tried calling Netgear.  They are worse than useless.

Message 13 of 21
CrimpOn
Guru

Just to be clear, the Power LED turned amber and then began to flash?

Message 14 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Have 1 wired PC connected to the RBR. Turn OFF all RBS and disconnect ALL wired devices from the RBR. Disconnect the RBR from the ISP modem. 

Press the reset button for 20 seconds then release. 

Use a web browser and poing to 192.168.1.1...should bring up a setup wizard. 

@MLUCK wrote:

Factory reseting means spending days reconfiguring.  But I guess I don't have a choice.  So I've been sitting here all afternoon following Netgear's instructions to factory reset.  I get the Amber LED after holding a paper clip into the reset hole for 10+ seconds, but then the router reboots with the same old SSID, not factory reset.  Tried calling Netgear.  They are worse than useless.

Message 15 of 21
MLUCK
Star

YES exactly - the LED turned Amber and then began to flash (pretty quickly)

Message 16 of 21
MLUCK
Star

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Have 1 wired PC connected to the RBR. Turn OFF all RBS and disconnect ALL wired devices from the RBR. Disconnect the RBR from the ISP modem. 

Press the reset button for 20 seconds then release. 

Use a web browser and poing to 192.168.1.1...should bring up a setup wizard. 

@MLUCK wrote:

Factory reseting means spending days reconfiguring.  But I guess I don't have a choice.  So I've been sitting here all afternoon following Netgear's instructions to factory reset.  I get the Amber LED after holding a paper clip into the reset hole for 10+ seconds, but then the router reboots with the same old SSID, not factory reset.  Tried calling Netgear.  They are worse than useless

This worked, thank you.  Why is it that you all are so helpful (and quick), yet Netgear support Is so slow and useless?  Shocking to me.

One of my satellites is still showing as "Out of Sync" -- I've tried to sync a dozen-ish times.  I've followed all the tips in the community, but no joy.  Any ideas?

Message 17 of 21
CrimpOn
Guru

@MLUCK wrote:

One of my satellites is still showing as "Out of Sync" -- I've tried to sync a dozen-ish times.  I've followed all the tips in the community, but no joy.  Any ideas?

Fortunately, doing a factory reset on a satellite is 'practically painless'.

• Power the satellite off so that in a few minutes it shows 'disconnected' and asks if you want to remove it.
  • Remove it.
  • Use the paperclip to factory reset the satellite when it is powered up again.
  • Select the "Add Orbi Satellite" from the main web menu and add it.

My guess is that in the present condition, it is not possible to connect to the satellite web interface to determine which firmware the satellite has?

Message 18 of 21
MLUCK
Star

This worked for the satellite, thank you.  How can it be true that this community is 10000x more helpful than Netgear's own support staff?  Mind-numbing.  If my customer support team behaved anything remotely like Netgear's, I'd fire them on the spot.

Message 19 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
Enjoy. 📡

Message 20 of 21
MLUCK
Star

I hear you -- while you fine folks helped me cope, I definitely would not describe the state of Netgear's router software as being solved.  I have zero confidence that I could go through this process again without many problems.

I did however make a backup file first thing.  Fool me once, shame on you Netgear.  Fool me twice, shame on me!

Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7