Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New - Firmware Version 3.2.18.1 for RBR750 / RBS750 Series Released

FURRYe38
Guru

New - Firmware Version 3.2.18.1 for RBR750 / RBS750 Series Released

Security Fixes:

• Fixes security vulnerabilities.

For more information about security vulnerabilities, visit https://www.netgear.com/about/security.

Bug Fixes:

• Fixes the NETGEAR Armor vulnerability scan issue.

Download Link:

RBR750 - https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBK752/RBR750-V3.2.18.1_1.4.14.zip

RBS750 - https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBK752/RBS750-V3.2.18.1_1.4.14.zip

Firmware Update Instructions:

To update your product’s firmware, follow the instructions in your product’s user manual. To find your user manual, visit https://www.netgear.com/support/, enter your model number in the search box, and click the Documentation button on the product page.

or:

https://kb.netgear.com/31573/How-do-I-manually-upgrade-firmware-on-my-Orbi-router-using-orbilogin-co...
https://kb.netgear.com/000037217/How-do-I-check-and-manually-upgrade-the-firmware-on-my-Orbi-satelli...

Power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and Orbi system.

This firmware is only for the Orbi AX 750 series systems, only for manual download and installation.

Let us know how it works for you...

Message 1 of 30

Accepted Solutions
njweb
Luminary

@FURRYe38 wrote:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/New-RBK753S-Stability-wifi-connection-reliability-issues-ev...

@Mastra11 wrote:
Hello, the firmware works well, is it stable? I haven't installed it yet.

This firmware - 3.2.18.1 - has been very stable on my RBK753S.

I did also turn off IPv6 6 days ago, not sure if that was causing problems before, but with this firmware my Orbi AX system has been rock solid for the past 6 days - no wireless disconnects.

Now I can comfortably sell my RBK53 - I had been holding off since I just got the RBK753S a week and a half ago (last day of sale) and first wanted to ensure the RBK753S was stable for at least a week.

View solution in original post

Message 15 of 30

All Replies
njweb
Luminary

Update with a lot of good news (trying to consolidate from other thread(s):

Well, what a difference from a couple of hours ago where I had both display issues and (perceived?) speed issues. 🙂

1. Display issues for one satellite's 'model name' and 'current firmware version' (only an issue on the firmware update screen):

Now resolved after several reboots and waiting for a few hours for things to resolve on their own (as noted above).

2. (Perceived) Speed issue:

After rebooting the router [and also rebooting cable modem for good measure], my "download speeds issue" might also be resolved (will monitor for rest of the day) - Rather than rely on using speedtest.net which seems to be having issues today in terms of speeds being underreported, even with my ISP's server, I decided to test an actual download:

Results: While speed does fluctuate quite a bit / somewhat (not unusual) during the download, I am getting up to 450 Mbps which is what I have been seeing recently since first testing it Monday after getting my RBK753S and setting it up late Sunday night (ISP tier is officially 400 Mbps, but they always over provision). 

Will keep an eye on it, but a lot happier than earlier today!!!

Message 2 of 30
vajim
Master

what might help in these good news reports would be to state which firmware the user went FROM.

Message 3 of 30
njweb
Luminary

@vajim wrote:

what might help in these good news reports would be to state which firmware the user went FROM.

I was on 3.2.16.x and went to 3.2.18.x

Update - While the display and even the [perceived] downstream speed issues are both resolved, as reported, I do have bad news:

Connecitivty via wifi did just cut out a couple several minutes ago for about 1 minute (like yesterday morning), so the stability issues persist, even with the latest firmware...

Even one drop every day (or two) is deal breaker for me since we are both working from home now...

I did not get a chance to test wired internet while the internet was down via wifi and forgot to check the Orbi lights; I was focused on getting wife connected back to her work call (one on one call, but still not good), so I completely forgot to quickly check the light on the router.

Message 4 of 30
vajim
Master

@njweb wrote:

@vajim wrote:

I was on 3.2.16.x and went to 3.2.18.x

Update - While the display and even the [perceived] downstream speed issues are resolved, as reported, I do have bad news:

Connecitivty via wifi did just cut out a couple several minutes ago for about 1 minute (like yesterday morning), so the stability issues persist, even with the latest firmware...

Even one drop every day (or two) is deal breaker for me since we are both working from home now...

I did not get a chance to test wired internet while the internet was down via wifi and forgot to check the Orbi lights; I was focused on getting wife connected back to her work call (one on one call, but still not good), so I completely forgot to quickly check the light on the router.

Thanks

Message 5 of 30
Ragar99
Luminary

Upgraded without issue from the prior release. 

Skipping releases is not a good idea, often will work, but sometimes can lead to disastrous results.  That is basic Networking 101 not specific to Netgear.

Message 6 of 30
vajim
Master

@Ragar99 wrote:

Upgraded without issue from the prior release. 

Skipping releases is not a good idea, often will work, but sometimes can lead to disastrous results.  That is basic Networking 101 not specific to Netgear.

Perhaps, however in some cases, for whatever reason, when folks do get around to updating, there has been several versions come and gone.  In here I've even seen instructions that if the gap is large, then you are recommneded or required to install one version first then on to the final latest version.

Message 7 of 30
njweb
Luminary

I had long reply typed regarding the other topic raised here about best practices, but going to focus on my observations with the RBK753S so far.

The interesting thing is while yesterday's connection issue (in the AM) was evidenced on the Orbi end (my cable modem stayed up throughout, which I confirmed by checking the uptime in the logs), is that for today's one disconnect (a little before 2 PM ET), I noticed that my trusty D3.1 Motorola MB8600 cable modem shows it went down (based on uptime) which is exceedingly rare - it typically stays up for many months at a time.

Not sure if something happened on the ISP end, but will keep an eye on the modem and the new Orbi the next several days since the RBK753S is the only new device added recently...

By the way my signals and power levels are all fine:

• SNR values ranging from 41.3 dB to 43.1 dB across the 32 channels.
  • Downstream power levels 2.7 to 5.5 dBmV across the 32 downstream channels
  • Upstream power is 45.0 to 45.3 dBmV for the 4 channels
  • No errors across all 31 QAM256 channels) at all so far in the 4 1/2 hours of uptime. 

I do see this entry today at the exact time the modem went down / or came back up (since it was within a minute), which I have never seen before in the log and the log has been active since Nov 2020!

DS profile assignment change

12:52:52 (time zone is off by an hour): Thu Apr 15 2021 Notice (6) DS profile assignment change. DS Chan ID: 32; Previous Profile: ; New Profile: 1 2 3.;CM-MAC=xxxxxx;CMTS-MAC=xxxxx;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

(I masked the MAC IDs).

The folloiwng might be a clue:

I am trying to recall exactly what time today I changed my Orbi to IPv4 again, since I see the below entry in the cable modem log (no timestamp unfortunately) which is also not there between Nov and yesterday; it showed up today for the first time ever (and I did turn off IPV6 today in the Orbi - I had enabled IPv6 on Monday but no mention of IPv4 or IPv6 in the logs till the ONE entry below today; it is the entry right before (not necessarily in terms of time though) the "DS profile assignment change" entry.

Time Not Established Notice (6) Honoring MDD; IP provisioning mode = IPv6

Message 8 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to keep in contact with the ISP regarding that.  

Message 9 of 30
vajim
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Be sure to keep in contact with the ISP regarding that.  

I think they would know that 

Message 10 of 30
Mastra11
Apprentice

Message 11 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/New-RBK753S-Stability-wifi-connection-reliability-issues-ev...

@Mastra11 wrote:

Message 12 of 30
Mastra11
Apprentice

ok thanks so i didn't understand, does it work well and is it stable? I have yet to install it.
Message 13 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

Hopefully @njweb can help you out. You can see his recent feedback regarding his experiences in that link.

For me it works well on my 8 series Orbi. 

Message 14 of 30
njweb
Luminary

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@Mastra11 wrote:

This firmware - 3.2.18.1 - has been very stable on my RBK753S.

I did also turn off IPv6 6 days ago, not sure if that was causing problems before, but with this firmware my Orbi AX system has been rock solid for the past 6 days - no wireless disconnects.

Now I can comfortably sell my RBK53 - I had been holding off since I just got the RBK753S a week and a half ago (last day of sale) and first wanted to ensure the RBK753S was stable for at least a week.

Message 15 of 30
Mastra11
Apprentice

@njweb @FURRYe38 Ok thanks a lot, as soon as I can I install the new firmware thanks.
Message 16 of 30
njweb
Luminary

Update regarding my RBK753S:

My wireless speeds were VERY inconsistent with 3.2.18.1 (not enough time with prior firmware to see if this is specific to the firmware or Orbi itself).

Right after resetting wifi adapater and / or Orbi, the speeds start out great for a couple of Speedtest tests, e.g. 475 - 480 Mbps down (I am on a 400 Mbps Xfinity plan which they always overprovision by about 20% as others have noted).

However, on the 3rd or 4th Speedtest (this is the same across different servers), the speed starts out looking fine, then quickly drops by about 50% and the tests end at 200 - 250 Mbps.

Truly frustrating - I spent hours today trying different things in an effort to resolve it, including trying different wifi drivers for my Killer AC1535 wifi adapter, deleting adapter and driver files and then reinstalling. I also restarted the Orbi to no avail.

To rule out the adapter as potentially being the cause, I tried my old top-rated Linksys WUSB6400M AC wifi adapter and it reports a low receive rate for some reason and is even slower than the Killer on speedtests even though it supports 867 Mbps on 5 Ghz...

So I unplugged the Linksys WUSB6400M and re-enabled the built-in Killer AC1535 wifi adapter.

Finally I just did a factory reset of the Orbi and just got 479.98 Mbps result on the 3rd Speedtest (first two after the reset were close as well at 461 Mbps and 477 Mbps).

I just ran a 4th test and it came down a bit to 435 Mbps; I was a little concerned that this could indicate it was going to start dropping again, but on the 5th test, downstream speed came back up to 476 Mbps!

Before the factory reset, no matter what I tried (all the other steps above), I could never get more than 2 consecutive tests today of at most 475 - 480Mbps before it dropped to anywhere from 150 - 250 Mbps in subsequent tests (3rd test onward); speeds only came back TEMPORARILY after I reset the wifi connection and / or reset / reinstalled the adapter etc.

So hopefully the factory reset did the trick, but it is too early too tell (i.e. perhaps the issue starts after 1 hour or after a day).

I will keep an eye on it for the rest of the evening and also check each day for the next several days... 

Message 17 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

Don't Killer adapters have there own QoS features? Something to disable if there is on your adapter. 

Message 18 of 30
njweb
Luminary

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Don't Killer adapters have there own QoS features? Something to disable if there is on your adapter. 

I uninstalled the Killer Control Center software earlier today, leaving only the actual drivers. So presumably that took care of disabling any built-in QoS.

Message 19 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok...

Message 20 of 30
Mastra11
Apprentice

@njweb Hello, so now the firmware 3.2.18.1 is giving you problems? but before with the firmware 3.2.16.22 you had the same problems?
Message 21 of 30
njweb
Luminary

@Mastra11 wrote:
@njwebHello, so now the firmware 3.2.18.1 is giving you problems? but before with the firmware 3.2.16.22 you had the same problems?

Hi,

Good question. In fact I mentioned this yesterday in my own thread, but not in this thread here:

I did not have the RBK753S long (3 or 4 days) before upgrading to 3.2.18.1 and did not test speeds / record tests results on this laptop yet with the RBK753S with the old firmware. I had spent time first testing speeds in all the key rooms of the house on my old RBK53 before I disconnected it, so I could have a baseline measurement). 

The bad news is that this morning, the speeds are again lower (not quite as low as before the factory reset, but they drop off before the test ends: The test starts at 475 Mbps BRIEFLY but very quickly drops to 330 range and stays there - end result 337 Mbps only. 😞

Actual download speeds are also bad today via wifi (e.g. 170 Mbps).

Just conected the laptop to the Orbi ethernet port and real world dowlonad speeds are fine via ETHERNET, just about 480 Mbps (stable at 478 - 480), so it is Orbi wireless that is an issue. 

I can rule out my ISP and cable modem and the Orbi wired connection.

These poor wifi speeds in same room as router are very disappointing and frustrating. I may as well go back to my RBK53 in that case...

I do not know if this is due to the router firmware or router. Doubt it is due to the adapter though since 2 adapters were unable to get proper wifi speeds.

Per another thread, I will try to experiment with disabling WMM on 5 Ghz band just to see if it has any impact. The problem is QoS is supposed to be enabled, so I will have to turn it back on.

Then I will try to go back to the 2.16.x.x firmware to see if that helps speeds...

😞

Message 22 of 30
Mastra11
Apprentice

@njweb Ok but are the WiFi speeds all with ups and downs on all wifi devices? tablet smartphone etc? what wifi channels do you use for 2.4ghz and 5ghz?
Message 23 of 30
njweb
Luminary

@Mastra11 wrote:
@njwebOk but are the WiFi speeds all with ups and downs on all wifi devices? tablet smartphone etc? what wifi channels do you use for 2.4ghz and 5ghz?

I am using Orbi defaults:

2.4 GHz channel set to Auto

5 Ghz channel set to 48

Laptop wifi adapter on laptop link rates are 866Mbps/866Mbps (receive/transmit) and from prior tests, including the ones I mentioned yesterday after factory reset, we know it is fully capable of 475 - 480 Mpbs in the same location (that is out of the 480 Mbps my ISP is provisioning).

My phone (Galaxy Note 9) on 5 Ghz is also only getting 313 Mbps (302 Mbps on 2nd test) and it is located only 2 feet from the Orbi router (ran tests just now), similar to the 337 Mbps my laptop wifi got.

So it is NOT the wireless adapters but something with the Orbi wireless.

Going to try disabling WMM and any other settings that might impact it and, if that does nothing, then install 2.16.x.x firmware again...

Message 24 of 30
Mastra11
Apprentice

@njweb Ok .. but did you have these problems even with the firmware 3.2.16.22? have you also tried speedtesting with the wifi of your ISP's modem / router?
Message 25 of 30
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 29 replies
  • 11 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7