Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New - Firmware Version 3.2.18.1 for RBR750 / RBS750 Series Released

njweb
Luminary

Re: New - Firmware Version 3.2.18.1 for RBR750 / RBS750 Series Released

@Mastra11 wrote:
@njwebOk .. but did you have these problems even with the firmware 3.2.16.22? have you also tried speedtesting with the wifi of your ISP's modem / router?

As I mentioned in my first reply this morning, I do not know because I did not test actual speeds with 3.2.16.22...

Never expected it to be an issue and only had the router a few days before 3.2.18.1 came out and I had a few stability issues the first 4 days, so I upgraded to 3.2.18.1.

Not sure if those temporary stability issues were just due to the orbi settling in with all 35+ wireless devices or...

Had no disconnects the last week now (on 3.2.18.x) after rebooting everything once more last Thursday (1 week ago), so I am now just trying to resolve wifi speeds...

Not looking forward to going back to 3.2.16.x since I prefer to run the latest firmware...

Message 26 of 30
Mastra11
Apprentice

@njweb ok but does your ISP's modem / router have wifi? if yes, have you tried to test wifi connected to your ISP's modem / router?
Message 27 of 30
Mstrbig
Master

@njweb wrote:

am now just trying to resolve wifi speeds...

Not looking forward to going back to 3.2.16.x since I prefer to run the latest firmware...

Your WIFI speeds probably have nothing to do with the ORBI product. Not sure how you ae testing the speeds. But if you want to see how the mesh system is doing, use the speed test built into the app and/or GUI. 

You could run a WIFI analyzer to see if your 2.4GHZ channel is congested. I find auto to be troublesome. 

Here is my results, using the least congested channel for 2.4 and 5 GHZ (channel 1 for 2.4) (channel 48 for 5).

Lastest test result (8:25 Apr 16, 2021)
DOWNLOAD 748.58Mbps 
UPLOAD 52.93Mbps

Message 28 of 30
njweb
Luminary

@Mstrbig wrote:

@njweb wrote:

am now just trying to resolve wifi speeds...

Your WIFI speeds probably have nothing to do with the ORBI product. Not sure how you ae testing the speeds. But if you want to see how the mesh system is doing, use the speed test built into the app and/or GUI. 

You could run a WIFI analyzer to see if your 2.4GHZ channel is congested. I find auto to be troublesome. 

Here is my results, using the least congested channel for 2.4 and 5 GHZ (channel 1 for 2.4) (channel 48 for 5).

Lastest test result (8:25 Apr 16, 2021)
DOWNLOAD 748.58Mbps 
UPLOAD 52.93Mbps

Thanks for your feedback!

Which wifi client device / wifi adapter are you using tro get the above results? Is it AX (Wifi 6) or AC?

Right now, based on my testing and associated observations, it seems the Orbi has challenges maintaining consistent wireless speeds with non-AX clients; i.e. with AC clients. However, if it turns out to be something else, I will be happy to share it.

To answer your questions and share some additional details:

• I am testing with speedtest.net
  • All my tests were run while connected to the 5 GHz band (more specifically - using the above 802.11ac devices). I am using the default 5 GHz channel - 48.
  • Glad you mentioned the built in app. I ran it yesterday, but I assume it is just reporting wired speeds (cable mode to RBR)?

Wifi Analyzer shows signal strength as a whopping -21 dBm...

Its recommendation is Channel 48, which is what I am using (as noted above).

It also indicates '100% improved"; not sure exactly what that is referring to...

Message 29 of 30
taiwindows9
Aspirant

Thank you for sharing the information about the new firmware release for the RBR750/RBS750 series. I have reviewed the firmware update instructions and it is straightforward and easy to follow.

I have also checked the Netgear security website  and there is no information about any specific security vulnerabilities that have been fixed in this firmware release. However, it is always a good idea to keep your firmware up to date to get the latest security fixes and bug fixes.

I will download and install the new firmware on my Orbi AX 750 system and let you know how it works out.

Additional information:

It is important to note that this firmware is only for the Orbi AX 750 series systems, only for manual download and installation. If you have a different Orbi system, please check the Netgear support website to see if there is a new firmware release available for your system.

It is also important to back up your Orbi system configuration before updating the firmware. In case something goes wrong during the firmware update, you can restore your system to its previous configuration.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Message 30 of 30
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 29 replies
  • 11 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7