Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New Orbi WiFi 6 RBK852 and additional satellites.

mir4ge
Tutor

New Orbi WiFi 6 RBK852 and additional satellites.

So far, I’m loving the new Orbi WiFi 6 as we do have some WiFi 6 devices that we are able to test on and take advantage of the WiFi 6 part of things. However, we still have some spots in our home that would benefit from an additional satellite. Does anyone know if any of the older Orbi satellites would work or when Netgear will be releasing the WiFi 6 satellite? Any information would help! Thank you!
Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

Re: New Orbi WiFi 6 RBK852 and additional satellites.

i believe the older RBS50's work if they're hardwired in.

they recently had a live chat where people could do Q&A and supposedly the individual satellites are supposed to be released in the next few weeks. Again, supposedly. 

Message 2 of 8
mir4ge
Tutor

Awesome! That’s helpful. I might as well wait for the new satellites to come out then. We are going on vacation anyways! 🙂
Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Placement is key for good coverage. I have 5000sq ft home and have great coverage with just 1 RBS. 

@mir4ge wrote:
So far, I’m loving the new Orbi WiFi 6 as we do have some WiFi 6 devices that we are able to test on and take advantage of the WiFi 6 part of things. However, we still have some spots in our home that would benefit from an additional satellite. Does anyone know if any of the older Orbi satellites would work or when Netgear will be releasing the WiFi 6 satellite? Any information would help! Thank you!

Message 4 of 8
mir4ge
Tutor

Yeah we have a 5500-6000 square foot home. The RBR is the basement and the RBS is on the other side of my home on the first floor in my office (definitely more than 30 feet). I need it to be in my office because I have an Aruba (VPN device for work) in the office that I need to hardwire into. Like I said, everything works fine, just a couple of areas could use some help and another satellite would certainly do the trick.
Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

I would wait for the RBS addon to become available. I would not spend another $700 on a entire system for just 1 RBS. I don't know how much the addon RBS will be. I presume $100-$200 range. 

I mean time, You could move the RBS you have now maybe to a different area if these areas are priority. If they are not and can wait a bit longer, then when the RBS comes available, then you could get one then. 

Message 6 of 8
mir4ge
Tutor

Yeah I’m not in a hurry since the rooms that have the issue are guest rooms. I’m planning on waiting and agree that it’s not worth buying another package at $700. That’s just something I wasn’t planning on doing!
Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7