Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New - RBK752/753 Firmware Version 4.6.3.7 Released

FURRYe38
Guru

I think that ONT has a built in router. 

Do you now if the ONT is bridged or working in router mode? 

Message 26 of 525
Ravepants
Guide

Hi,

Just to report back, I ran a wireshark before removing the switch and packet congestion/lost packets was seen between the RBR750 > Switch > RBS750.

Removing the switch from the equation and plugging the sattelite directly into the router, and the single NIC server directly into the satellite resulted in no congestion/lost packets.

Further testing resulted in re-enaling the dual NIC, and testing, this also resulted in no packet loss etc.

More testing, put in a dumb (non 802.3az) gigabit switch between the RBR750 > dumb switch > RBS750 > dual NIC, this also resulted in no packet loss, streaming heavy 60gig 4k blu-ray ISOs, multiple simultainious HD stream via ethernet and wifi, and re-testing of previously specific problematic files without a hitch.

Anecdotal conclusion, Orbi really doesnt like 802.3az switches! this is slighlty worrisome moving forward as it would seem with the 802.3az being the standard now, most if not all new (cheap unmanaged) switches come with it built in.

I was able to address and resolve the issues I was seeing by changing out that switch, however it may not be possible later down the line, and I would like to hope that Netgear are able to address whatever the issue may be in a future update, but for now I consider the issue resolved in its current state.

Message 27 of 525
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear. Ya, some green ethernet swtiches don't work well in between the RBR and RBS. Somethign that NG hasn't addressed, even on Orbi AC systems. 

Glad you found the problem. Just maintain a non green ethernet switch in between and you'll be fine. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 28 of 525
RayBan_21
Star

@FURRYe38 Tried following all your steps, but no luck. The zyxel is delivered by a service provider, sp not much I can change on that side. Also tried switching the RBR750 between router and AP mode without any changes. Service provider confirms all is good with the access. Also tried to re-upload the new FW, which went smoothly. Might be some settings I'm missing out on, but it seems to boil down to the ne FW... Tried yet again to upload the old FW, but it doesn't let me proceed (no "Yes"-button). D/L maxes out at 579 mbps, U/L at 943 mbps.

Any other pointers?

Thanks so far for all your help!

Message 29 of 525
FURRYe38
Guru

There a model # of the modem? 

IF you tried AP mode and still saw DNS issues, that would be a ISP issue and not Orbi and AP mode is just pass thru for Data. 

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

You might try Voxels FW and see if there are differences:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Voxels-FW-available-for-50-series-Orbi-only-available/m-p/1883...
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-orbi-a-la-faq.65224/
You can revert back to stock FW if it doesn't work out for you. 

Message 30 of 525
ddkumar
Star

The new firmware is a complete bust for me.  Wireless throughput dropped to 20Mbit/sec from over 400Mbit/sec with an iPhone SE only 10 feet from the router.   Even worse, I cannot manually retreat the firmware for the RBK750 because it prompts to ask if I really want to install older firmware but gives *NO* option to continue with the operation - only a visible cancel button to abort the update.   I can retreat the satellite with no problem.

Message 31 of 525
FURRYe38
Guru

Ater you installed this version of FW, did you continue to use the system with or with out a reboot, power cycle or factory reset and setup from scratch? 

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

@ddkumar wrote:

The new firmware is a complete bust for me.  Wireless throughput dropped to 20Mbit/sec from over 400Mbit/sec with an iPhone SE only 10 feet from the router.   Even worse, I cannot manually retreat the firmware for the RBK750 because it prompts to ask if I really want to install older firmware but gives *NO* option to continue with the operation - only a visible cancel button to abort the update.   I can retreat the satellite with no problem.

Message 32 of 525
larryindublin
Luminary

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I don't have the 7 series Orbi and it's not yet avialble for the 8 series which I have. 

Yes you can install it manaully. I dont' know if it's up on NG auto update services as of yet so if it's not seen on the RBR as available, you can manually download it and install it. Install on the RBS first then RBR lastly. Power OFF the RBR and RBS for 30 seconds then back ON after FW has been updated. 

https://kb.netgear.com/31573/How-do-I-manually-upgrade-firmware-on-my-Orbi-router-using-orbilogin-co...
https://kb.netgear.com/000037217/How-do-I-check-and-manually-upgrade-the-firmware-on-my-Orbi-satelli...

@Mastra11 wrote:
@FURRYe38Is this new firmware stable and working fine? Can it be installed directly from the router or is it available for download only from the site? thank you

I have the RBK753s set and it was auto-upgraded to this Firmware. I had been running a Beta firmware so not sure how they staged the rollout for this particular firmware. So far it has been just as stable as most of the past firmware updates "for me in my environment". I have about 50 devices on my network in a 2200 sq ft wood frame house. I get my full 400/20 (speedtests to 480/24 mostly) at every corner of the house inside and solid speeds to front sidewalk and all of backyard.

No DNS issues with this update "so far" and it might have also fixed the Log truncation issue but not sure about that yet.

Message 33 of 525
ddkumar
Star

I had a very stable, high-throughput configuration with firmware version 3.2.18 with an RBR750 and RBS750; Xfinity Gigabit internet through a MB8600 modem.  After updating to the new firmware, wireless speeds are basically gone.  While this is concerning, the biggest immediate issue is the disappearance of the ability to retreat the firmware for the router.  As I mentioned, you only have the ability to cancel the firmware update now.  It will not let me proceed to downgrade the router firmware even though I can downgrade the satellite.  This seems like a huge bug.

Message 34 of 525
FURRYe38
Guru

Ater you installed this version of FW, did you continue to use the system with or with out a reboot, power cycle or factory reset and setup from scratch? 

@ddkumar wrote:

I had a very stable, high-throughput configuration with firmware version 3.2.18 with an RBR750 and RBS750; Xfinity Gigabit internet through a MB8600 modem.  After updating to the new firmware, wireless speeds are basically gone.  While this is concerning, the biggest immediate issue is the disappearance of the ability to retreat the firmware for the router.  As I mentioned, you only have the ability to cancel the firmware update now.  It will not let me proceed to downgrade the router firmware even though I can downgrade the satellite.  This seems like a huge bug.

Message 35 of 525
FURRYe38
Guru

@larryindublin wrote:

I have the RBK753s set and it was auto-upgraded to this Firmware. I had been running a Beta firmware so not sure how they staged the rollout for this particular firmware. So far it has been just as stable as most of the past firmware updates "for me in my environment". I have about 50 devices on my network in a 2200 sq ft wood frame house. I get my full 400/20 (speedtests to 480/24 mostly) at every corner of the house inside and solid speeds to front sidewalk and all of backyard. No DNS issues with this update "so far" and it might have also fixed the Log truncation issue but not sure about that yet.

Message 36 of 525
ddkumar
Star

Router and satellite were both power cycled after updating (multiple times).  Again, my short term crisis is the loss of the ability to restore to an older firmware version for the router because the wireless speeds with the new firmware are now consistently only 20Mbit/sec.   I'd gladly go back to version 3.2.18 until the dust settles but I can't! 

Message 37 of 525
FURRYe38
Guru

Please try a full factory reset on the RBR and RBS and setup from scratch. Do not load any saved configs from file. Don't enable Armor or SPC. 

Also power OFF the ISP modem for 1 minute and back ON during the reset. Walk thru the setup wizard on the RBR with a wired PC. 

@ddkumar wrote:

Router and satellite were both power cycled after updating (multiple times).  Again, my short term crisis is the loss of the ability to restore to an older firmware version for the router because the wireless speeds with the new firmware are now consistently only 20Mbit/sec.   I'd gladly go back to version 3.2.18 until the dust settles but I can't! 

Message 38 of 525
FURRYe38
Guru

I'm checking with NG to see if there is something preventing users from downgrading FW after v4 is applied. 

Message 39 of 525
ddkumar
Star

At this point, I would prefer to retreat before doing a full reconfig from scratch.  As is the case with others on this forum, I have large IP address reservation tables that would need to be rebuilt and I don't want to do that unless absolutely necessary. 

It appears the broken downgrade ability is something in the GUI which is missing a proceed/OK option.  It only provides a clickable "no" button.  No ability to click yes/OK/continue/whatever.

Firmware Update
Warning! The firmware version you are trying to upload is older than the one you had.
Do you still want to continue?
Current Firmware VersionV4.6.3.7_2.0.49
New VersionV3.2.18.1_1.4.14

Message 40 of 525
FURRYe38
Guru

Please save off the configuration to file for save keeping. Even if you can get prior version installed, you may need to factory reset anyways as there maybe some incompatible configurations between v3 and v4. 

No idea when I'll get any information regarding reverting FW. So in mean time, try a factory reset on the RBR and setup from scratch after you do a back up configuration. Setup from scratch and let the system run for a while. Don't load any saved configs just yet. See how it works after the reset. Again, power OFF the ISP modem as well then back ON while you reset the RBR. 

@ddkumar wrote:

At this point, I would prefer to retreat before doing a full reconfig from scratch.  As is the case with others on this forum, I have large IP address reservation tables that would need to be rebuilt and I don't want to do that unless absolutely necessary. 

It appears the broken downgrade ability is something in the GUI which is missing a proceed/OK option.  It only provides a clickable "no" button.  No ability to click yes/OK/continue/whatever.

Firmware Update
Warning! The firmware version you are trying to upload is older than the one you had.
Do you still want to continue?
Current Firmware VersionV4.6.3.7_2.0.49
New VersionV3.2.18.1_1.4.14

Message 41 of 525
ddkumar
Star

I'm biting the bullet and doing a full factory reset and manual rebuild of all tables on the RBR750.  The good news is that seems to fix my wireless speed issue with firmware v4 (back to 800Mbs speed on a iPhone near the router).  However, the firmware retreat option for the RBR750 is still unavailable (only a "no" box). 

There are obvious typos on the Orbi RBS750 satellite main configuration page.  In two places, it says "Wirless AP"  instead of "Wireless AP".  Does anybody check this stuff?

Message 42 of 525
FURRYe38
Guru

And is the RBS using v4 FW as well? 

Please use the Choose File option and attache a screen shot of this "Wirless AP"...

@ddkumar wrote:

I'm biting the bullet and doing a full factory reset and manual rebuild of all tables on the RBR750.  The good news is that seems to fix my wireless speed issue with firmware v4 (back to 800Mbs speed on a iPhone near the router).  However, the firmware retreat option for the RBR750 is still unavailable (only a "no" box). 

There are obvious typos on the Orbi RBS750 satellite main configuration page.  In two places, it says "Wirless AP"  instead of "Wireless AP".  Does anybody check this stuff?

Message 43 of 525
ddkumar
Star

Yes, this is the latest satellite firmware (v4).   I've clipped the text below from the main RBS750 configuration page below except I've removed my SSID.  Right after "Wireless mode", it says "Wirless AP".  The error was cut and pasted in the 5GHz section too!

rbi Satellite WiFi Status (2.4GHz)
Name (SSID) : XXXXXXX
Channel : 1
Region : United States
Wireless mode : -
Wirless AP : On
Broadcast Name : On
Security type : WPA2-PSK
Orbi Satellite WiFi Status (5GHz)
Name (SSID) : XXXXXXXX
Channel: 48
Region : United States
Wireless mode: -
Wirless AP : Off
Broadcast Name: On
Security type: WPA2-PSK
Message 44 of 525
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, I'll pass this on to NG for review.

No idea about reverting from v4 to v3. I have passed this on to NG. 

In mean time, see how the system works for you. I recommend making a back up configuration to file prior to enabling Armor or SPC or any other features. That was you have a base config to have on had. Then after that, set up your other features and configurations, then make another back up config to file. Then you'll have two options to fall back on should something happen. 

Message 45 of 525
tak1313
Luminary

@ddkumar wrote:

When I switched from the RBK52W (1 RBR50 and 2 RBW30s) to the RBK752, I was having a problem with slow backhaul (about 20 or so Mbps).  No matter how I placed the sats, the speed from the sats were slow compared to the router.

After switching to the 752 kit, sat speeds shot up to "normal."

I then learned that the firmware of the RBR50 and RBW30, like many an Orbi firmware sucks.  What was ACTUALLY happening was the backhaul between the 50 router and 30 sats were "locked" into using 2.4ghz as backhaul even if there was sufficient signal with the 5ghz backhaul.

I didn't realize what I was seeing at the time when I looked at the sat page, but it was as below (from the internet - not from my actual system):

Sat SignalSat Signal

image.jpg

What are seeing (and I didn't realize at the time, is that the blue graphic on the right indicates the sat is using both frequencies for devices, BUT the blue graphic on the left  says it is using the 2.4ghz as backhaul and NOT the 5ghz.  I didn't realize it at the time, since the left graphic has no indication about frequency.

It's just a wild shot, but check the satellite's page to see if you see the same.  If so, it means the system is using 2.4ghz for the backhaul rather than 5ghz.

The fix (at least for my old kit) is to change the name of the router the satellite looks for in 2.4ghz so it can't find the router, which forces it back to use the 5ghz.  But of course, with Netgears ever faultering wisdom, you can't do that with the current AX lineup because you can no longer telnet.

Message 46 of 525
FURRYe38
Guru

I would recommend that using RBW30 over RBS50 would be on area of concern for the 50 series system. Seen many posts of these RBWs not working well for some users. They don't have same specs at the RBS50 which you should really be using with the RBS50. I've not seen any problems with my RBK50 and 1 RBS50 in play. Evenin a 5000sq ft home system works well. Though my RBS are wire connected. 

@tak1313 wrote:

When I switched from the RBK52W (1 RBR50 and 2 RBW30s) to the RBK752, I was having a problem with slow backhaul (about 20 or so Mbps).  No matter how I placed the sats, the speed from the sats were slow compared to the router.

Message 47 of 525
ddkumar
Star

Another "feature" of the new version seems to be a signficantly slower reported Internet speed test result.  I have a 1400Mbs Xfinity Gigabit connection that used to benchmark at essentially full speed (consistently 1300+ Mbs) using the "Test Internet Speed" feature on v3.2.18  Now, I get about ~600Mbs from the same speed test even though my endpoints have no problem reaching their full 1Gbs speed (slightly derated by packet overhead) using Ookla Speedtest.  In other words, the endpoints are achieving much higher speed test results using Ooka than the RBR750 built-in Ookla speed test reports.  Seems like something is now throttling the internal speed test.

Message 48 of 525
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for reporting this as well. I'll pass this on to NG. I can't help confirm this. 

Would you take a screen capture of the results seen on the RBRs web page and then a capture of results seen on one of your wired end points? Please use the Choose File button on your post to add the capture files. 

I would also speed test at a different time frame as well to see if there a speed test server busy/congestion or not. Time of day may have an impact on this as well. 

If anyone else notices this with the built in speed test on the RBR seeing differences vs connected client end points. Please post what your seeing. 

@ddkumar wrote:

Another "feature" of the new version seems to be a signficantly slower reported Internet speed test result.  I have a 1400Mbs Xfinity Gigabit connection that used to benchmark at essentially full speed (consistently 1300+ Mbs) using the "Test Internet Speed" feature on v3.2.18  Now, I get about ~600Mbs from the same speed test even though my endpoints have no problem reaching their full 1Gbs speed (slightly derated by packet overhead) using Ookla Speedtest.  In other words, the endpoints are achieving much higher speed test results using Ooka than the RBR750 built-in Ookla speed test reports.  Seems like something is now throttling the internal speed test.

Message 49 of 525
Engladian
Tutor

I've also seen the same issue using the built in speed tests. I have a gigabit cable connection and was previously consistently testing at about 950 mbps download before the latest update, afterwards I've been testing consistently at around 650 mbps. I was tearing my hair out trying to work out what was going on before noticing my iphone was able to achieve around 750 mbps download using the speed test app on the phone. I haven't tested this fully using wired connections to the router yet though.

Message 50 of 525
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7