Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New - RBK752/753 Firmware Version 4.6.3.7 Released

titaniumrx8
Apprentice

I've had AX mode turned off since the initial setup 2 months ago. Guess what? The FW update turned on AX for 5ghz.

Turned it back off. Now hunting for more config changes the unhelpful update caused.

BTW, the web and app report what's connected and where they're connected completely differently. The app even has previously input device names randomly renamed.
Message 226 of 525
FURRYe38
Guru

IF you did the FW update after you had AX mode already off, then updating to newer version of FW may re-enable it as default settings would have it enabled on newer FW that gets applied. So you'll just need to disable AX mode again. 

Message 227 of 525
cpmassen
Apprentice

My Samsung TV will not connect to the internet now after the firmware just updated tonight. I checked and my TV will easily connect to my iPhone hotspot. Any ideas how to fix this issue? The DNS was set to 8.8.4.4 prior to the firmware update.
Message 228 of 525
cpmassen
Apprentice

I just got off the phone with NETGEAR support and the problems appears to be with the firmware on the Satellite. When we disconnected the satellite from power and TV attached directly to the router the tv immediately connected to the internet. They said it would be a problem until a firmware update is release.
Message 229 of 525
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know. 

@cpmassen wrote:
I just got off the phone with NETGEAR support and the problems appears to be with the firmware on the Satellite. When we disconnected the satellite from power and TV attached directly to the router the tv immediately connected to the internet. They said it would be a problem until a firmware update is release.

Message 230 of 525
ddkumar
Star

Follow-up on loss of wireless connectivity in this buggy firmware release...

I can confirm that disabling AX seems to help the issue I was having with the current firmware where I would lose connectivity when the endpoint transitioned between the router and the satellite.  Of course, one of the reasons I bought this router in the first place was specifically for AX support, so this is a huge disappointment.  This firmware release is simply an all-around disaster.  If you have an earlier firmware version, do NOT update. 

Message 231 of 525
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for confirming this. NG is aware of the problems and also recommended disabling AX mode as well. Lets all hope the next FW update fixes this. Please be patient. 

Message 232 of 525
Atllaw
Star

With all due respect and I mean this because you have been helpful to so many on this board, I am not sure anyone has patience for a fix from Netgear. It took them one update to screw up a network I had spent hours tweaking and adding devices to. It was perfectly fine, they knew the problems well in advance from the comments and feedback before the automatic update, but they did it anyway. I feel like I spent hours building the perfect sandcastle only to have oaf walk through it carrying his cooler and beach chairs, then looking back and saying, “my bad, I will come back and help you fix it - just give me a minute”.
For me, that is unforgivable and I am starting over with a Unifi system and taking this back to Costco.
I will say that for those of you that are trying to fix it, the folks on the chat app seem much more competent than the ones on the phone. However, after an hour of getting kicked off chat (because it now kicks me off my network every few minutes) and then talking to incompetents on the phone, I threw in the towel. Easier to set up something entirely new than to deal with this. After 20 years of owning various Netgear products because in my mind they were a good brand, I won’t be back.
Message 233 of 525
mcnitzken
Guide

So I thought I would chime in here after spending what has now amounted to days worth of time trying to sort out some stability. I have actually discovered some interesting quirks, which might be helpful to other, or helpful to netgear in a fixed firmware.

1. I ended up turning off the AX channels, although I don't really think this led to an increase in stability.

2. I am running the 2437 CTX/RTX, but again I also don't think this had anything to do with it.

I think there is a serious problem with the DHCP which is causing the issues.

Now for the kicker. I am a Verizon FIOS customer and my Orbi sits after the FIOS Gateway. By default the FIOS gateway takes IP range 192.168.1.XXX, and it needs to be there to receive from the modem and pass on. As with all firmwares, I typically used 192.168.85.XXX as my gateways on my Orbi, but after changing to this every time my stability went horrid. So I started letting netgear keeps its 10.0.0.XXX gateway it defaults to when it sees something else has the 192.X gateways. Again, my stability was trash. So I started looking at logs and digging in to issues. The #1 problem I saw was that somehow my satellites were giving out IPs in the 192.168.1.XXX family, and were also setting themselves to this, despite the fact this is NOT listed as an acceptable DHCP range on the Orbi at all. So.....

I went into the Verizon router and set it to 192.168.0.XXX, and I set a static IP for my Orbi, and gave it the 192.168.1.XXX DHCP range that would be the default if the Verizon router had not been there. I set up 1 satellite, and put everything on the 4.x firmware. It has been running with 100% stability for around 3-4 days now with zero out of sync errors or drop outs in service.

I can't say with total certainty that this is what is causing all the issues, but after going back and forth and testing against this ~4 times to see stability I think something is messed up in the firmware where if your DHCP range is anything but the default range there are some serious issues with the satellites maintaining the DHCP ranges of the router. It seems like if the satellite gets out of sync it reverts to the 192.168.1.XXX range, while the router maintains the original range, and then all the devices get confused and end up connected with invalid IPs and yea.... everything goes downhill very quickly Smiley Sad

Message 234 of 525

Can confirm this as well. Post update, all of my devices were assigned 10.0.0.1 IP addresses. I just completed a factory reset and now back to 192 ip range and everything is working including my air print issue. Net gear pushed this update to sell a new product shame on them for not thoroughly testing this. They have a beta program or should.
Message 235 of 525
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

@intergeek14 wrote:
Can confirm this as well. Post update, all of my devices were assigned 10.0.0.1 IP addresses. I just completed a factory reset and now back to 192 ip range and everything is working including my air print issue. Net gear pushed this update to sell a new product shame on them for not thoroughly testing this. They have a beta program or should.

Message 236 of 525

How did you log into your ONT?

Mine is Calix 711GE ONT
My connection is 900/900 symmetrical
Message 237 of 525
scoboo
Guide

RBK752/753 Firmware Version 4.6.3.7 Released

Hello,

We have Cox GigaBlast service (1 GB of bandwidth).

When FW4.6.3.7 was released, our router auto-update and our speed went from 940mbps to 600mbps (using Internet Speed Test on Orbi app) to 8mbps-22mbps using SpeedTest.net on MacBookPro and other wireless devices connected to the Orbi Router. Our TV is wired and is getting 78mbps.

I 'upgraded' from the RBK 750 to the RBK753S. When I first installed this 'new' router with firmware 3.1.18.1, we got accurate speed and the wifi did not drop. But Netgear removed the option to select whether to auto-upgrade f/w...which means our f/w auto-upgraded to 4.6.3.7!! So now we're back to the exact same problem!

Cox is our ISP. They have sent three technicians to our home to verify the signal to the pedestal and to the node for our house; to the external box on our house and directly to the Netgear CM1200 modem. It is NOT an ISP issue.

Any solutions? The agent I spoke with today at Netgear is escalating this issue to a senior technical lead, as it's been three weeks of speed between 8mbps and 200mbps.

Thanks
Scott

Message 238 of 525
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBK752/753 Firmware Version 4.6.3.7 Released

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/New-RBK752-753-Firmware-Version-4-6-3-7-Released/m-p/212958...

@scoboo wrote:

Hello,

We have Cox GigaBlast service (1 GB of bandwidth).

When FW4.6.3.7 was released, our router auto-update and our speed went from 940mbps to 600mbps (using Internet Speed Test on Orbi app) to 8mbps-22mbps using SpeedTest.net on MacBookPro and other wireless devices connected to the Orbi Router. Our TV is wired and is getting 78mbps.

I 'upgraded' from the RBK 750 to the RBK753S. When I first installed this 'new' router with firmware 3.1.18.1, we got accurate speed and the wifi did not drop. But Netgear removed the option to select whether to auto-upgrade f/w...which means our f/w auto-upgraded to 4.6.3.7!! So now we're back to the exact same problem!

Cox is our ISP. They have sent three technicians to our home to verify the signal to the pedestal and to the node for our house; to the external box on our house and directly to the Netgear CM1200 modem. It is NOT an ISP issue.

Any solutions? The agent I spoke with today at Netgear is escalating this issue to a senior technical lead, as it's been three weeks of speed between 8mbps and 200mbps.

Thanks
Scott

Message 239 of 525
Gatorade2000
Apprentice

Re: RBK752/753 Firmware Version 4.6.3.7 Released

@scott, good morning. All these 10 pages or so are about the same issue.
Message 240 of 525
remsreef
Guide

I confirm post #235 fixed the issue for me. It was a DHCP issue the entire time! No more disconnects and I have my Orbi back, thank you!

Message 241 of 525
FURRYe38
Guru

1. I ended up turning off the AX channels, although I don't really think this led to an increase in stability.

2. I am running the 2437 CTX/RTX?

@remsreef wrote:

I confirm post #235 fixed the issue for me. It was a DHCP issue the entire time! No more disconnects and I have my Orbi back, thank you!

Message 242 of 525

How are we weeks later and no fix or roll back options?

Mistakes happen, I get that. The sign of a company is how the deal with it. Netgear approach? Silence. I’m shocked and appalled. Let us roll back is such a simple solution in the short term.

We’re in the middle of a pandemic. People are trying to work from home, and home school - our £700 routers should be able to enable that.

Totally unacceptable.
Message 243 of 525
Gatorade2000
Apprentice

buy their premium warranty and pay $$ more. I am also surprised that NG can get away with just 90 day support. I have filed a complaint with my state AG about this.
Message 244 of 525

Same here. I actually did pay for the extended warranty but have found out that there is no way for me to call support? How can I request or file a warranty replacement without calling?

I’m reaching out to my legal service to see if I can get a buy back going.
Message 245 of 525
FURRYe38
Guru

You guys can try this:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/RBK750-Series-Firmware-Update-v4-6-3-7/m-p/2130838/highligh...

FW fixes don't happen over night. 

@MaleHumanUK wrote:

Mistakes happen, I get that. The sign of a company is how the deal with it. Netgear approach? Silence. I’m shocked and appalled. Let us roll back is such a simple solution in the short term.

We’re in the middle of a pandemic. People are trying to work from home, and home school - our £700 routers should be able to enable that.

Totally unacceptable.

Message 246 of 525
Gatorade2000
Apprentice

uncle, first it is more than overnight. second this wasnt a hardware problem.
Message 247 of 525
wjbridge
Star

@MaleHumanUK wrote:

Totally unacceptable.

So I was contacted by support and gave them some debug logs (contacted on 8/20). I also gave them some more over the weekend. Based on our conversation, they are still collecting data to troubleshoot the issue. I am also very fustrated that these expensive routers can be crippled by a non-voluntary firmware update (also complained about this to them). I come from an embedded software background (been doing it for over decade). I offered to speak with one of their software engineers directly to help troubleshoot the issue engineer to engineer.

Since this is such a widespread issue, I do wish that officals from NG could post on this forum updates weekly (sticky thread). I have a Rachio sprinkler controller and the Homekit was buggy due to a firmware update. They are posting updates (even if there is nothing to report) for some communication to their customers. I would implor NG to do the same.

So I am noticing although I have disabled the AX features, my RBS750 still disconnects once a day (blue light and devices disappear). The network is definitely not stable. I was looking over the posts about a DHCP issue but not understanding how it applies to me with a Netgear modem from Comcast to RBR750. I do have my DHCP giving out IP address from 192.168.1.X to 192.168.1.Y so I can assign static IP addresses after 192.168.1.Y.

Message 248 of 525
raven_au
Virtuoso

@FURRYe38 wrote:

You guys can try this:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/RBK750-Series-Firmware-Update-v4-6-3-7/m-p/2130838/highligh...

FW fixes don't happen over night. 

But removing the current broken version so that people don't get the broken update pushed onto them or simply not advertising the broken version seems like the sensible thing to do.

Since they haven't done that you have to conclude they aren't taking the complaints seriously or simply don't believe the problems are serious since the developers obviously never use the routers themselves.

So when will there be an update to help with this ... one year ... two ...

Message 249 of 525
raven_au
Virtuoso

@wjbridge wrote:

So I am noticing although I have disabled the AX features, my RBS750 still disconnects once a day (blue light and devices disappear). The network is definitely not stable. I was looking over the posts about a DHCP issue but not understanding how it applies to me with a Netgear modem from Comcast to RBR750. I do have my DHCP giving out IP address from 192.168.1.X to 192.168.1.Y so I can assign static IP addresses after 192.168.1.Y.

Think of what might happen if the router DHCP server is very slow or stops giving out IP addresses (which has caused a lot of trouble for me). It looks to me like clients disconnect and try again, and the Satellites get their IP addresses refreshed after a time just like any DHCP client.

Message 250 of 525
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7