Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New - RBK752/753 Firmware Version 4.6.3.7 Released

titaniumrx8
Apprentice

My case with support has been open for almost 2 weeks now. They've had time to review all the screen shots and debug logs I've sent them but no response since 8/30 when they said that they were working on it. Seems that my subsequent requests for a status updates are being ignored because my 90 day support expired.

I was OK with waiting because I had everything working well enough but still wanted to get the issues resolved so I had access to all the capabilities I paid for. That was ok until yesterday when the satellite serving the hungriest streaming devices at the far end of my house were no longer connecting to their closest satellite and were therefore experiencing frequent buffering and disconnects. Despite factory resetting everything, nothing will connect to the one satellite. I can log into the satellite and it's backhaul shows good, it's no longer working.

That's the last straw. It's going back to Costco and I'm reverting to my old Nighthawk and range extenders.
Message 401 of 525
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad that speeds are back. NG is aware of the problems and is working on it. Please be patient for the new FW update. 

You should be fine in AP mode for now. 

@Wyatt381 wrote:

Thank you for your help!!!... I made the changes in my network using Orbi in AP mode and my speeds are back to normal using 4.6.3.7 firmware.

Message 402 of 525
michsu
Apprentice

I put my 753 in AP mode and it still maxed out at 600. The disconnects have stopped though, but it seems the throughput is slower. AX is enabled. It must be the firmware of the 750 model.
Message 403 of 525
FURRYe38
Guru

It IS FW and NG is aware. 

Message 404 of 525
Donsuper
Star

Testing the beta firmware version from support, the max download speed problem seen fixed, but devices WiFi signal that connected to the satellite still keep dropping, so still waiting for another fix……….
Message 405 of 525
Gatorade2000
Apprentice

applied beta version. speed show correctly. interesting is that my network map shows that statelite 1 is connected to satelite 2. what does this mean?
Message 406 of 525
michsu
Apprentice

Sorry, I meant that the beta firmware still has a problem. The orbi app and frontier app sees the 900+/900+ now, not the speedtest done on speedtest app, fast.com and others still cap me at 600.
Message 407 of 525
michsu
Apprentice

Maybe the 750 model is not strong enough to do gigabit internet plan.. The other guy said you needed the 850 router and satellite to get the full power past 1000/1000, or is that still not enough?
Message 408 of 525
ad1240de
Aspirant

Welche FW Version hast du bekommen?

Message 409 of 525
Burdurboy05
Aspirant

How hard was it to switch to AP mode? I also have the 753 series and wondering if I’ll have to reconnect all my devices if I switch to AP mode and things like that
Message 410 of 525
FURRYe38
Guru

https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

@Burdurboy05 wrote:
How hard was it to switch to AP mode? I also have the 753 series and wondering if I’ll have to reconnect all my devices if I switch to AP mode and things like that

Message 411 of 525
Gatorade2000
Apprentice

because that is over wireless and your devices have a speed limit too
Message 412 of 525
FURRYe38
Guru

Besure you power OFF the ISP Modem for 1 minute, factory reset the RBR and RBS after loading the beta FW, power ON the ISP modem then setup the RBR and RBS from scratch. Other users ARE reporting that the speed test results are fixed on the Orbi app and on board RBR speed test app. The 7 series is cable of near 900Mbps or just over ON wired ethernet only. The ethernet ports are 1000Mpbs connection rated ONLY so you'll not see anything much over 950Mpbs at all due to the LAN Ports being 1000Mpbs. Same goes for the 8 series, however the 8 series CAN seen over 1000Mbps speeds on wireless since the WAN port on 8 series is rated at 2.5Gb and wireless connection rates support up to 2400Mpbs on 5Ghz AX. And if you have a AX supporting devices that supports 2400Mbps 4x4 MIMO. 

@michsu wrote:
Sorry, I meant that the beta firmware still has a problem. The orbi app and frontier app sees the 900+/900+ now, not the speedtest done on speedtest app, fast.com and others still cap me at 600.

Message 413 of 525
FURRYe38
Guru

Englisch Bitte

@ad1240de wrote:

Welche FW Version hast du bekommen?

Message 414 of 525
michsu
Apprentice

So only the 8 models can see the full gigabit using AX? Actually most of the devices are AC or lower.. I’m buying a PCI Express card just today for the computer for 802.11ax Asus brand to test out.. The 7 models have that AX enabled too doesn’t it? Thank you for all your answers.
Message 415 of 525
FURRYe38
Guru

Both support AX modes. Both have 1000Mpbs LAN ports. So any wired speed testing thru these ports will only result in seeing near or just over 900Mpbs. You'll not see any speeds over 1000Mpbs on the LAN ports of the 7 and 8 series Orbi.

Wireless, if you have AX supporting devices, depending upon there design and #x# antenna MIMO support, you can get over 1000Mpbs on the 8 series system since it supports a 2.5Gb WAN port and if you have a 2.5Gb supporting ISP Modem/ONT and ISP services that have speeds over 1000Mpbs. On the 7 series, this is limited by it's WAN port that only supports 1000Mpbs so wired and wireless speeds,even thought it support 2400Mpbs AX wireless connection rates, will never see over 1000Mpbs speeds. 

@michsu wrote:
So only the 8 models can see the full gigabit using AX? Actually most of the devices are AC or lower.. I’m buying a PCI Express card just today for the computer for 802.11ax Asus brand to test out.. The 7 models have that AX enabled too doesn’t it? Thank you for all your answers.

Message 416 of 525
michsu
Apprentice

Thank you. I just made it much faster by running in AP mode, but disabling the wireless in the ISP router (not Orbi). I am getting better speeds across the other side of the house (400+/400+) so that's good; My 802.11ax device will come in tomorrow and I will see if it makes any difference.

Message 417 of 525
michsu
Apprentice

It seems AP mode is faster than router mode after many tests. I don’t understand why though.
Message 418 of 525
FURRYe38
Guru

Your ISP Modem already has a built in router and wifi. This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT

@michsu wrote:
It seems AP mode is faster than router mode after many tests. I don’t understand why though.

Message 419 of 525
michsu
Apprentice

So I turned off the first router’s wireless and leaving Orbi on, so now it’s better under AP mode. However, AP mode is still faster than using Orbi in regular router mode just by itself.
Message 420 of 525
FURRYe38
Guru

Probably keep this configuration until NG comes out with next FW update. 

Things to remember is that yoru ISP has a wifi and router built in.

1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop
https://kb.netgear.com/000061277/Which-features-are-disabled-on-my-Orbi-router-when-it-is-set-to-AP-...

@michsu wrote:
So I turned off the first router’s wireless and leaving Orbi on, so now it’s better under AP mode. However, AP mode is still faster than using Orbi in regular router mode just by itself.

Message 421 of 525
Timothy88
Luminary

Loaded the Beta, fingers crossed that this addresses the isssue(s) I was having. Speed test speeds are back to being close, however the datetime is showing:"Latest test result (12:12 Sep 4, 2021)", don't know what thats all about.  Current datetime on the router is Thursday, 09 September 17:56:00.  That is in the browser the app looks to be correct.

Message 422 of 525
AggedwNG
Apprentice

Has Netgear even acknowledged the issue with lan connectivity on RBR750's due to fw 4.6.3.7?? I see that they've acknowledged the issue with wifi disconnects and internal speed test figures but I still haven't heard or seen any form of acknowledgement from them on the issue with downloads over lan, locking up the router (magenta) and forcing a hard reboot.. Netgear Support has been zero help with no answers. No knowledge of the beta being mentioned and no acknowledgement on whether the beta will even address that issue. A month now I've been having to rely on an old router with old tech to do what I need to, while my 90 day warranty on this RBR750 is slowly expiring..
Message 423 of 525
larryindublin
Luminary

@Timothy88 wrote:

Loaded the Beta, fingers crossed that this addresses the isssue(s) I was having. Speed test speeds are back to being close, however the datetime is showing:"Latest test result (12:12 Sep 4, 2021)", don't know what thats all about.  Current datetime on the router is Thursday, 09 September 17:56:00.  That is in the browser the app looks to be correct.

Also running the beta. Hadn't been having MAJOR issues before, just the occasional drop of internet/magenta that was part of other peoples issues. Consider myself lucky but wanted to test beta nontheless. The speedtest date seems to show the previous test time. Run it twice over 5 minutes and the time/date shows the test date/time from 5 minutes ago.

Otherwise I have been rock solid stable now for 2 days.

Message 424 of 525
Timothy88
Luminary

I've asked specicailly if it addresses that issue and haven't gotten a definitive response only thing mentioned is "other stability".

Message 425 of 525
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7