Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New - RBK752/753 Firmware Version 4.6.3.7 Released

FURRYe38
Guru

Re: New - RBK752/753 Firmware Version 4.6.3.7 Released

For troubleshooting sake, yes, it's not recommended to use a back config initially. 

Try a reset and setup from scratch. Try setting manual channel 1,6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 on the RBR.

I would set up the RBR first then bring the RBS to the same room as the RBR and sync them 1 at a time. Let us know if they don't sync and don't remain connected 

Message 126 of 525
Gatorade2000
Apprentice

Try burning it. Broiling is recommended
Message 127 of 525
Donsuper
Star

After reset again, the satellite connect become unusable again, it’s for sure a firmware problem I think, factory reset and lab firmware upgrade again, still the same…..
No problem before update….
Message 128 of 525
Mstrbig
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

Factory reset or anything else will not resolve this issue. 

I spent numerous hours with TS, performing many tests, reviewing logs, etc. They sent out a replacement RBS750 Satellite, for the damaged unit. However the RBR750 router is going to pulsating whte, several times per day. There is no way to downgrade and I manually re-loaded the 4.6.3.7 firmware, hoping it would help. It didn't help. 

After extensive troubleshooting, along with tech support, I strongly feel this is also caused by the  pushed 4.6.3.7 firmware update.

Message 129 of 525
Berryvl
Star

Same here. For months i have used the system without any issues (Router and 3 sattelites, 1 wired, 2 wireless in daisychain). After the 4.6.3.7 fw update the whole system is unstable. Wired everything is fine but wireless there are disconnects trhroughout the day. Also devices will not automatically reconnect to the orbi wifi. I don't feel like resetting everything, i just hope a fw update will be available soon...

Message 130 of 525
Niko78
Apprentice

The solution to all of these problems could be so easy if Netgear did not avoid downgrading firmware !

There firmwares are plenty of bugs and not well tested before release.

We will maybe have to face many other issues with some of upcomings firmwares.

Why are they blocking downgrades so that we can downgrade to a more stable firmware in cas of issue with latest release ???

We are not talking about low cost hardware so we might have the right to choose which firmwareversion to use.

I really don't understand why they are doing this.

But for sure I don't think I will buy Netgear again.

Message 131 of 525
Berryvl
Star

I fully agree, invested nearly 1k in this equipment. it will make it harder to reccomend this to friends and families for sure.

Message 132 of 525
Mstrbig
Master

And the real sore spot is, even thought it is clearly Netgear's fault, they are charging shipping for replacing under warranty gear. They should be replacing it for free including shipping. And only charge shipping for out of warranty gear that was affected, but still replace for free. I cannot charge my customers fees for something that is not their fault.

There has to be a reason for not allowing the downgrade. I'm assuming it has to do with the WIFI WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES] security issues they got hit with.  

Message 133 of 525
Gatorade2000
Apprentice

name and shame on their twitter page
Message 134 of 525
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you made contact wtih NG support about this yet? If not, please open a support ticket as it seems theres nothing else we can help with here in the forums. 

@Mstrbig wrote:

And the real sore spot is, even thought it is clearly Netgear's fault, they are charging shipping for replacing under warranty gear. They should be replacing it for free including shipping. And only charge shipping for out of warranty gear that was affected, but still replace for free. I cannot charge my customers fees for something that is not their fault.

There has to be a reason for not allowing the downgrade. I'm assuming it has to do with the WIFI WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES] security issues they got hit with.  

Message 135 of 525
Gatorade2000
Apprentice

Support reps follow the same script and will try to blame on your cable provider. If you bought the device 90 days before then you are out of luck. Will atleast take 2 hours for them to try different things. Result will be they will say app has a bug. Just saved everybody 2 hours. With so many support tickets already opened, the support staff will pretend that your issue is new ans unique🙄. Go to twitter and raise your voice, otherwise nobody will notice: https://mobile.twitter.com/NETGEAR
Message 136 of 525
Berryvl
Star

I just factory reset everything as i had to do something. Why is it that during the setup the router seems to already know my custom sattelite names? (also not had to sync them again).I have not restored anything and reset all 4 devices with a paperclip until the blinking orange light... btw. The disconnects are already happening again. No i have not contacted support yet.

Message 137 of 525
FURRYe38
Guru

Please open up a support ticket and contact NG support and let them know what your experinecing. 

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

What channels are you using? Auto? 
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

@Berryvl wrote:

I just factory reset everything as i had to do something. Why is it that during the setup the router seems to already know my custom sattelite names? I have not restored anything and reset all 4 devices with a paperclip until the blinking orange light... btw. The disconnects are already happening again. No i have not contacted support yet.

Message 138 of 525
Berryvl
Star

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Please open up a support ticket and contact NG support and let them know what your experinecing. 

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

What channels are you using? Auto? 
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

@Berryvl wrote:

I just factory reset everything as i had to do something. Why is it that during the setup the router seems to already know my custom sattelite names? I have not restored anything and reset all 4 devices with a paperclip until the blinking orange light... btw. The disconnects are already happening again. No i have not contacted support yet.

Really?

Its not that i am not willing but it seems my complementary support expired in april, but i can get a hw replacement.

My hw is not defected, my sattelites are placed correctly and the frequency were never an issue. The issues i see now started directly after upgrading to 4.6.3.7 the day before (and months) everything worked really perfectly. minutes after upgrading the disconnects and instability started to happen.So all the questions asked above are not relevant as with 3.2.18.1 everything was fine and so far i was really happy with NG and the Orbi's, recommended it to friends, colleages and family.. but i am starting to feel sorry for that.

I think NG has to acknowledge there are issues with the 4.6.3.7 version and fix it as soon as possible instead of stringing everyone along to open support tickets.

At this moment my household is disrupted becaues of this. Already spent hours trying to fix it myself. This is not what I was buying into when i orderd the RBK753. Of course bugs exist but this feels as if SQA failed and 4.6.3.7 was not properly tested before the release.

So rather than asking everyone to open tickets, please look into it yourself, it is unimaginable that NG is unable to reproduce these issues withing Support/Engineering.

Message 139 of 525
FURRYe38
Guru

Again, this is something beyond forum help and support so you'll need to inform NG support of what your experiencing. 

Good Luck. 

@Berryvl wrote:

Really?

Its not that i am not willing but it seems my complementary support expired in april, but i can get a hw replacement.

My hw is not defected, my sattelites are placed correctly and the frequency were never an issue. The issues i see now started directly after upgrading to 4.6.3.7 the day before (and months) everything worked really perfectly. minutes after upgrading the disconnects and instability started to happen.So all the questions asked above are not relevant as with 3.2.18.1 everything was fine and so far i was really happy with NG and the Orbi's, recommended it to friends, colleages and family.. but i am starting to feel sorry for that.

I think NG has to acknowledge there are issues with the 4.6.3.7 version and fix it as soon as possible instead of stringing everyone along to open support tickets.

At this moment my household is disrupted becaues of this. Already spent hours trying to fix it myself. This is not what I was buying into when i orderd the RBK753. Of course bugs exist but this feels as if SQA failed and 4.6.3.7 was not properly tested before the release.

So rather than asking everyone to open tickets, please look into it yourself, it is unimaginable that NG is unable to reproduce these issues withing Support/Engineering.

Message 140 of 525
Berryvl
Star

Ok i will do that.

Message 141 of 525
Niko78
Apprentice

@Berryvl 

I think that factory reset doesn't seems to fully reset all settings.

I have done Hard Reseting many times on each device, for me it seems that some parameters are maybe stored in a memory like nvram and are not resetted.

Message 142 of 525
FURRYe38
Guru

Instead of trying the reset button, try using the ERASE function on the RBRs web page. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced settings/Backup. See if this clears out all of yoru configurations from the RBR. 

Be sure to also clear out all browser caches after you trigger the ERASE. 

@Berryvl wrote:

I just factory reset everything as i had to do something. Why is it that during the setup the router seems to already know my custom sattelite names? (also not had to sync them again).I have not restored anything and reset all 4 devices with a paperclip until the blinking orange light... btw. The disconnects are already happening again. No i have not contacted support yet.

Message 143 of 525

I 100% agree with this.

I have now factory reset all units twice, once restoring settings, and once setting it up manually. Both lead to the same outcome - constant disconnections, and satellites losing sync.

Support is unhelpful, as they go through the motions on troubleshooting, but don’t / can’t review logs to find the real source of the issue.

As rumbles grow across multiple people, the issue is obvious - the v4.6.3.7 firmware is not ready for prime time. Whilst mistakes in QA testing happen, it’s pretty infuriating that there is not an option to roll back to previous firmware.

Netgear should acknowledge this issue, work with some users to really understand the problems, and push a firmware fix urgently.
Message 144 of 525
Gatorade2000
Apprentice

Message 145 of 525
Niko78
Apprentice

This kind of product is designed for Home needs and should be Plug and Play :

- easy configuration

- forget it and let it running

At first installation whith Orbi App I was hoping a Plug and Play Orbi system but I had to do the configuration and Hard reset many times because of many issues like satellite not discovered even when just near from the router or because of app issue not finishing the configuration.

Hardware is good but software is plenty of bugs.

For sure I would not recommand Orbi system to friends and my family because it needs to have minimal technical skills and take too much times doing configuration and troubleshooting.

Message 146 of 525
Mstrbig
Master

@Niko78 wrote:

@Berryvl 

I think that factory reset doesn't seems to fully reset all settings.

I have done Hard Reseting many times on each device, for me it seems that some parameters are maybe stored in a memory like nvram and are not resetted.

Try a 30 30 30 FACTORY RESET.

First do a backup of your settings, as you will lose them.

Do this one at a time, starting with the router

While the device is plugged in, hold the reset button in for 30 seconds

Unplug the device, while holding the reset button in for 30 seconds 

While holding the reset button, plug in the device, and count another 30 seconds.

Your device should be cleared of all settings and configured back to factory settings.

This usually fixes unexplained errors like WIFI issues, devices not connecting etc.

But unfortunately, it will not repair a bricked device, where the firmware flash got corrupted.

Message 147 of 525
Jeff-531
Guide

This whole upgrade has been a nightmare.  I cannot believe NG is blocking a downgrade.  I had to redo everything twice and stuff is still randomnly dropping off WiFi.  Wired has been fine thus far (knock on wood) but I have zero confidence in this.  I upgraded from the 50 and will probably return my 753 setup to Costco (if I still can) and get something else or see if I can go back to my 50.  

Heck, I might dig out my old Unifi stuff and set that back up. I got this to be plug and play working for my wife and kid when I'm not away.  I've spent more time dealing with this fiasco upgrade in the last couple of weeks more than this is worth.

How does something like this make it through the QC process?

Message 148 of 525
FURRYe38
Guru

What channels are you using?

What CTS values are you using? 

Is Smart Parental Controls enabled? 

What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)?

@Jeff-531 wrote:

This whole upgrade has been a nightmare.  I cannot believe NG is blocking a downgrade.  I had to redo everything twice and stuff is still randomnly dropping off WiFi.  Wired has been fine thus far (knock on wood) but I have zero confidence in this.  I upgraded from the 50 and will probably return my 753 setup to Costco (if I still can) and get something else or see if I can go back to my 50.  

Heck, I might dig out my old Unifi stuff and set that back up. I got this to be plug and play working for my wife and kid when I'm not away.  I've spent more time dealing with this fiasco upgrade in the last couple of weeks more than this is worth.

How does something like this make it through the QC process?

Message 149 of 525
RayBan_21
Star

Just an update to my issues - they're still the same, but I can also see that the satellites are acting up as well; disconnecting and re-connecting. I see that it has been mentioned by someone else here too.

I've been told twice that NG support will contact me, but still haven't heard anything yet.

It's too bad, as I still think that the Orbis was a good match for my home until this new FW.

I've tried all the tips mentioned in this thread without any luck.

After a while I also thought it could be my network provider having faulty equipment on their side, but got great support from them clarifying that it's all on my end.

Still thinking that with a fix I'd keep the Orbis, but if this is a sign of what one can expect after FW releases, I'm quite sceptic.

Message 150 of 525
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7