New - RBR350 / RBS350 Firmware Version 4.4.1.29 Released

New Features and Enhancements: 08/09/2022

• IPv6 DS-Lite, MAP-E support
  • Analytics opt-in/opt-out for EU region
  • VLAN ID and DHCP options 60/61 support
  • Admin password strength enforcement
  • Admin password brute force attack prevention

Bug Fixes:

• Fixes issue where the router’s LAN ports are not accessible to the Internet when PPPOE is enabled on the VLAN
  • Fixes issue where changing the country/region in the router device UI can prevent the satellite from connecting to the router

Security Fixes:

Download Link:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/rbk352.aspx#download

Firmware Update Instructions:

To update your product’s firmware, follow the instructions in your product’s user manual.

To find your user manual, visit https://www.netgear.com/support/

enter your model number in the search box, and click the Documentation button on the product

NOTE: Orbi app or the routers web page may not report seeing new FW updates. NG may not push this to there auto update services immediately and may activate the newer FW update being seen on there auto update services at a later time. User will have the choice to manually update if you want too.

If you manually update, be sure to update the RBS first, then RBR lastly. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000037217/How-do-I-check-and-manually-upgrade-the-firmware-on-my-Orbi-satelli...

https://kb.netgear.com/31573/How-do-I-manually-upgrade-firmware-on-my-Orbi-router-using-orbilogin-co...

NOTE:  Update the RBS first, then the RBR lastly. I recommend doing a full on factory reset after the FW loads, system is back to ready and a power OFF for 1 minute then back ON has been performed. Use a wired PC and web browser for this. Load the FW on to each RBS web page using the RBS web page, not thru the RBRs web page. Then load the FW lastly on the RBRs web page. Walk thru the setup wizard. You can manually setup the system as well for those who are more experienced with this.

A factory reset maybe needed if problems are encountered:

https://kb.netgear.com/31486/How-do-I-reset-my-Orbi-system-to-factory-default-settings

NOTICE: All users are advised to not downgrade FW on Orbi systems to older versions of FW. Downgrading FW may cause problems on the system and or cause units to no longer function. If you experience a problems after FW updating your Orbi system, please post in this thread or create a new post and give details to what your experiencing and we'll help you troubleshoot the problem. 

This article applies to:

Let us know how it works for you in this thread please.

Message 1 of 65
Raj012
Aspirant

Re: New - RBR350 / RBS350 Firmware Version 4.4.1.29 Released

I still have issues with wired Ethernet connection even after this upgrade.
Message 2 of 65
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Raj012,

Welcome to the NETGEAR Community!

I understand that you are having stability issues with your LAN connection. Factory reset has been proven to help re-establish the connection to your RBR350 via LAN.

Please perform a factory reset then check your ethernet connection for stability.

Best,

Kevin

Community Team

Message 3 of 65
ekhalil
Master

My RBS350 says that it now has the firmaware v4.6.9.11 (please see screenshot below), but I still don't see any reference for this version for RBS350?

ekhalil_0-1662385328620.png

Message 4 of 65
FURRYe38
Guru

v.29 is posted on NG download site for manual download. It may not be seen on the RBRs FW update web page as NG may not be giving notifications for it yet. If you want v.29, you'll need to manually apply this version. 

Message 5 of 65
ekhalil
Master

What I’m saying is that my RBS350 satellites say that they are on v4.6.9.11. I’ve never updated to this firmware and this firmware is not shown on the Netgear support page. Can this be correct?
Message 6 of 65
FURRYe38
Guru

Since v.29 is most current and supported for the 3 series, I'd update the RBS. No idea why NG let v.11 go out to your RBS. I'll check on this. 

Message 7 of 65
ekhalil
Master

Why would I “update” to v.29? v.11 is more recent than the v.29, I guess…
V4.6.9.11 is the recent firmware on the 750, 850, 840 series and seems that the 350 series is getting that now?
Message 8 of 65
FURRYe38
Guru

Because v.11 may not be actually meant for the 3 series. 

Message 9 of 65
ekhalil
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Because v.11 may not be actually meant for the 3 series. 

.. and it might be meant! Who can confirm this please? The satellites were updated automatically without my intervention and they are working beautifully now, much better than any time before. 🙂 

Message 10 of 65
FURRYe38
Guru

I've passed this to NG. Please be patient. 

Message 11 of 65
FURRYe38
Guru

I got this from NG:

"RBS350 was included in RBK653 https://kb.netgear.com/000065129/RBK653-Firmware-Version-4-6-9-11?language=en_US

We are not pushing this FW at this time. The customer should only get this FW via the following:
- onboarding (installation)
- manual download from support site
- check FW update via GUI/App
Checking with ENG if that is the case with the RBS350."

So sounds like something slipped thru maybe on your RBS. I guess if it works then keep whats loaded until v.11 comes available for the RBR. 

Message 12 of 65
ekhalil
Master

Thanks.

Yes, it seems that v4.6.9.11 has slipped to my satellites, and all my RBS350 satellites are now on this firmware. All working well as it looks now.

I have no RBR350, only satellites from the 350 series.

Message 13 of 65
OrbiDorbi
Initiate

Hello,

can someone say if the loopback bug is fixed in this firmware version? There should be something like

echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/bridge/bridge-nf-call-iptables

According to my experience the bug is still there. It's really annoying if you want to use the satellites with a wired backhaul.

Kind regards

Message 14 of 65
ekhalil
Master

I think that the NAT loopback issue was introduced in firmware v4.6.9.11 and is causing many issues.
Message 15 of 65
FURRYe38
Guru

NG is aware of this issue. 

Message 16 of 65
OrbiDorbi
Initiate

@FURRYe38 wrote:

NG is aware of this issue. 

Oh good, I guess. But what does this mean? Is NG aware of this issue and willing to fix it soon or is NG aware of this issue and they don't care?

This issue is known since 2 years... so I don't know what to think about it. @gb777 got a custom firmware from NG which does the job. Is it possible to share this one here? 

Message 17 of 65
FURRYe38
Guru

Thats for the 8 series, you'll need to ask NG support if there is something beta for the 3 series. 

Message 18 of 65
Supersjel
Tutor

Hi,

Did the update (first satelites, second router including factory reset after updates) but have some problems. Configuration is RBR350 (AP mode) and 2 RBS350 satelites behind a Fritzbox 7590 modem. Everything works for the "normal" network both with wireless and wired backhaul. The guest network only works with the wireless backhaul. When I connect the cables to the satelites the guest network is up and config pages show normal status but connected devices loses internet connection.

With the previous firmware version the guest network also worked with the wired backhaul. Is this a bug? Or did I miss something and are other changes required to get this working with this firmware version? 

Message 19 of 65
FURRYe38
Guru

Are the RBS connected to the RBR? In back of the RBR or is there a network switch in between? 

What CAT# lan cables are you using? CAT6 is recommended. 

Did you sync the RBS first to the RBS wirelessly then after the BLUE LED appears, then connect the RBS to the RBR via ethernet? 

Give several minutes for the RBS to sync fully and the front LED to turn OFF. 

@Supersjel wrote:

Hi,

Did the update (first satelites, second router including factory reset after updates) but have some problems. Configuration is RBR350 (AP mode) and 2 RBS350 satelites behind a Fritzbox 7590 modem. Everything works for the "normal" network both with wireless and wired backhaul. The guest network only works with the wireless backhaul. When I connect the cables to the satelites the guest network is up and config pages show normal status but connected devices loses internet connection.

With the previous firmware version the guest network also worked with the wired backhaul. Is this a bug? Or did I miss something and are other changes required to get this working with this firmware version? 

Message 20 of 65
Supersjel
Tutor

Thanx for the reply! I'll try to answer the questions

@FURRYe38 wrote:

It's (unshielded) CAT6 cables. But I can't imagine the cable is the problem. Because if it was ... (my logic) ... I would think both the normal and guest network wifi would fail. But the outcome for the cabled setup is only the guest network is not working.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Did you sync the RBS first to the RBS wirelessly then after the BLUE LED appears, then connect the RBS to the RBR via ethernet?

Yes, found on this community in a post this is important so I did. Even let it run for 10 minutes with some tests on the clients to see if it was stable.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Are the RBS connected to the RBR? In back of the RBR or is there a network switch in between? 

Last but not least the most interesting question, read a lot about this after the purchase six months ago. The manual of the Orbi's misses good documentation on wired setups. I have a netgear gigabit switch and read some contradicting information. So with the old firmware I just tested a few setups. 

1. modem -> orbi router -> orbi satelites (i.e. connecting satelites through router): worked
  2. modem -> switch -> orbi router -> orbi satelites (i.e. connecting satelites through router): worked
  3. modem -> orbi router & orbi satelites (i.e. connecting both router & satelites on modem): worked
  4. modem -> switch -> orbi router & orbi satelites (i.e. connecting both router & satelites on switch): worked
  5.  modem -> orbi router -> switch -> satelites : instable (and undesired because the Orbi doesn't support IP-TV over network).

With some variations:

• Connecting the orbi router (in AP mode) through WAN or LAN did make no difference (except for blinking led if LAN is used)
  • Connecting the satelites made difference, I read somewhere the LAN port on the right/most distance to power connection must be used.

I think 1/2 are the official ones (the "downstream option"). But since  4 lead to the optimal placement (best coverage) so I chose that. And used that until the firmware upgrade.

So this question reminds me of something. Don't remember which LAN port on the satelite I used yesterday. Double check that. And maybe this working setups changed with the new version and I should revisit option 1/2? Or is there another setup that I missed?

Message 21 of 65
Supersjel
Tutor

@Supersjel wrote:

So this question reminds me of something. Don't remember which LAN port on the satelite I used yesterday. Double check that. And maybe this working setups changed with the new version and I should revisit option 1/2? Or is there another setup that I missed?

Meanwhile tried 2 things that don't require lots of work:

• Changing the LAN port of one of the satelites (left the other wireless backhaul). No difference. After the lights blinked, blue and off again and the webpage showed wired backhaul ... the normal wifi network works but the guest network shows "no internet" on clients
  • Changing the connection of one of the satelites (left the other wireless backhaul) to #2 (so modem -> switch -> Orbi Router -> CAT 6 -> Satelite. Normal wifi still works. Guest network works "a little" meaning severe delays and connection loses. So highly unstable and unusable.

And one new question, maybe this configuration (wired backhaul, AP mode and guest network) just isn't supported anymore in this firmware version. Is flashing router and satelites to the previous version 4.4.0.10 an option?

Message 22 of 65
FURRYe38
Guru

@Supersjel wrote:

Thanx for the reply! I'll try to answer the questions

@FURRYe38 wrote:

It's (unshielded) CAT6 cables. But I can't imagine the cable is the problem. Because if it was ... (my logic) ... I would think both the normal and guest network wifi would fail. But the outcome for the cabled setup is only the guest network is not working.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Yes, found on this community in a post this is important so I did. Even let it run for 10 minutes with some tests on the clients to see if it was stable.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Last but not least the most interesting question, read a lot about this after the purchase six months ago. The manual of the Orbi's misses good documentation on wired setups. I have a netgear gigabit switch and read some contradicting information. So with the old firmware I just tested a few setups. 

1. modem -> orbi router -> orbi satelites (i.e. connecting satelites through router): worked
  2. modem -> switch -> orbi router -> orbi satelites (i.e. connecting satelites through router): worked
  3. modem -> orbi router & orbi satelites (i.e. connecting both router & satelites on modem): worked < I Would use this configuration if this worked for you.
  4. modem -> switch -> orbi router & orbi satelites (i.e. connecting both router & satelites on switch): worked 
  5.  modem -> orbi router -> switch -> satelites : instable (and undesired because the Orbi doesn't support IP-TV over network).

With some variations:

• Connecting the orbi router (in AP mode) through WAN or LAN did make no difference (except for blinking led if LAN is used)
  • Connecting the satelites made difference, I read somewhere the LAN port on the right/most distance to power connection must be used.

What is the model# of this switch? 

Seems like the GN is working in some variations which means the FW is probably ok but how the configuration and switch is being implemented maybe causing the bad behavior. 

This would be the recommended connection of the RBS using ethernet to the RBR if a switch is in the mix and in between the RBR and RBS:

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy... 📡

What mode is the modem working in? Router or Modem mode only?

Message 23 of 65
Supersjel
Tutor

Thanx again for your time!

@FURRYe38 wrote:

It's a Netgear GS116Ev2

@FURRYe38 wrote: 

Seems like the GN is working in some variations which means the FW is probably ok but how the configuration and switch is being implemented maybe causing the bad behavior. 

I'm a bit worried. Changed nothing in hardware/wiring and the new firmware broke the guest network. Not meaning of course there's no way to fix it again. 

@FURRYe38 wrote:

This would be the recommended connection of the RBS using ethernet to the RBR if a switch is in the mix and in between the RBR and RBS:

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy... 📡

Thanx for the link. It was already in my favorites collection. To be on the "official" page I just tried the first setup.

1. I cripled my network by disconnecting the router. So now it's just the modem.
  2. I connected the Orbi router to it.
  3. Power cycle to be sure.
  4. Waited for it to be up again.
  5. Activated one satelite, first wireless backbone. Waited for the lights to go down.
  6. Ran a test, perfect connection on both normal and guest network.
  7. Connected the satelite with a cable to de Orbi router (same as shown on your link)
  8. Waited again for led to go off and webpage to show a wired backhaul
  9. Ran the test again, but unfortunately same result. Normal network running, guest network very unstable. It keeps resetting connections to clients.
  10. To be sure ... disconnected cable. Worked perfect again. Connected with another cable, guest network bad again.

(previous setup with both router and satelite connected to modem is even worse. Than the guest network is not working at all.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What mode is the modem working in? Router or Modem mode only?

The Orbi router is in AP mode meaning the modem itself is in router mode. Needs to be, else the IP-TV and telephony from the provider is not working. Too technical for me but I read somewhere this is because the Orbi doesn't support VLANs needed for this.

Hope you have some ideas left, else a downgrade seems the only solution to me. The second satelite is a bit to far away from the router. So with a wireless backhaul is will periodically lose connection. 

Message 24 of 65
FURRYe38
Guru

@Supersjel wrote:

Thanx again for your time!

@FURRYe38 wrote:

It's a Netgear GS116Ev2

Are any IGMP or Green Ethernet protocols on this switch fully disabled? Seen these kinds of switches cause problems in between the RBR and RBS. 
Yes, try and downgrade the RBS first then RBR lastly 
Message 25 of 65
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 64 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7