Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New - RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version 4.6.14.3 Released

FURRYe38
Guru

New - RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version 4.6.14.3 Released

Security Fixes: 12/01/2022

• Addresses security vulnerabilities.

For more information about security vulnerabilities, visit https://www.netgear.com/about/security.

Bug Fixes:

• Moves the Auto Firmware Update On/Off option to the Auto Update page in the router web interface.
  • Fixes an issue with using special characters when setting a WiFi network password or a device name.
  • Changes the Router/AP mode figures in the router web interface to a higher resolution.
  • Fixes various PSV security vulnerabilities.
  • Fixes various other minor bugs.

Download Link:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/rbk752.aspx

Please navigate to the link below for step-by-step instructions on how to update your RBR750/RBS750:

https://kb.netgear.com/31573/How-do-I-manually-upgrade-firmware-on-my-Orbi-router-using-orbilogin-co...

https://kb.netgear.com/000037217/How-do-I-check-and-manually-upgrade-the-firmware-on-my-Orbi-satelli...

Be sure to update the RBS FIRST, then the RBR lastly. 

NOTE: Orbi app or the routers web page may not report seeing new FW updates. NG may not push this to there auto update services immediately and may activate the newer FW update being seen on there auto update services at a later time. User will have the choice to manually update if you want too.

NOTE: The Disable Auto Update feature only prevents ANY new FW from being installed if available. This does NOT prevent the system from checking NG services to see if new FW is available. If new FW is available, this will be displayed as a notification to the user on the RBRs web page only. It will be up to the user to upgrade FW or not. 

A factory reset maybe needed if problems are encountered after the FW update:

https://kb.netgear.com/31486/How-do-I-reset-my-Orbi-system-to-factory-default-settings

NOTE: Recommend setting the default DHCP IP address pool range to the following after applying and a factory reset: 192.168.#.100 to 192.168.#.200

This article applies to:

Let us know how it works for you...

Message 1 of 85
SeaRefractor
Apprentice

Re: New - RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version 4.6.14.3 Released

Just updated!   Will check back in a couple days to report the status.    Updating the RBS units first and then the RBR ensured a smooth process without any hiccups.

Love the ability to choose if to auto update or not with a clear choice and apply button.

Message 2 of 85
sharmy
Apprentice

Link still shows previous firmware version as latest available.

Message 3 of 85
FURRYe38
Guru

Scroll up to "Top Support Articles"

Ya, usually takes a day or two for it to appear in the section down below.

Message 4 of 85
FURRYe38
Guru

OK so NG seems to have removed this version from the 7 series web page entirely. I'm checking with NG now to see what is going on. 🙄

Message 5 of 85
FURRYe38
Guru

OK, v.3 is back online and posted on NG download site. Link in my first post IS valid AND working!!!.

Good Luck. 

Message 6 of 85
RockTheGlobe
Guide

@FURRYe38 wrote:

OK, v.3 is back online and posted on NG download site. Link in my first post IS valid AND working!!!.

Do you know why the version was pulled and then reposted?  

Message 7 of 85
FURRYe38
Guru

I asked about it. No feedback. 

Possible someone at the web site controls messed up something or one hand not talking to the other hand. 

Kinda crazy I know. 🙄

@RockTheGlobe wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Do you know why the version was pulled and then reposted?  

Message 8 of 85
Talk2Mike
Apprentice

Updated this morning and set the IP range to the recommended 100-200 range. So far all seems to be good. Do you know why the 100-200 range is recommended?

Message 9 of 85
FURRYe38
Guru

I know that default .2 thru .254 is wide open. However most average home users don't need all that space. There are some users have may however, most home users have maybe 30-40 max devices connected so doesn't make sense to have the system wide open like that all the time that would not all be used. I also found this years ago from one other router mfr that used this as there default range. Been using this configuration since then. Been working well for me on NG routers. Of course, the range can always be adjusted. Also seem to help the system run more stable IMO. 

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

@Talk2Mike wrote:

Updated this morning and set the IP range to the recommended 100-200 range. So far all seems to be good. Do you know why the 100-200 range is recommended?

Message 10 of 85
Shwabo
Aspirant

Hello, is anyone else having trouble accessing the web gui from a hosted site after updating to 4.6.14.3?

I updated this morning and could not get to the web gui at all. It just kept looping like it was trying. Orbilogin.com seems to work, but that is only helpful if I am at home. I had to downgrade to 4.6.11.1 to be able to access it via my hosted site or through no-ip.com.

I do not like that I had to downgrade, however I need to be able to get to my router from the outside if need be. I know I can use the app, however it is limited and I cannot access certain settings from it, so prefer accessing via the web when not at home.

Thanks

Message 11 of 85
FURRYe38
Guru

I haven't. 

Be sure to clear out ALL broswer caches before and after updating FW and before entering into the RBRs web page. 

Clear out or delete prior saved PW profiles in the browser to be sure the browser doesn't mess that up. I've seen that happen before.

Also try a different browser. MS Edge, Firefox or Opera. 

@Shwabo wrote:

Hello, is anyone else having trouble accessing the web gui from a hosted site after updating to 4.6.14.3?

I updated this morning and could not get to the web gui at all. It just kept looping like it was trying. Orbilogin.com seems to work, but that is only helpful if I am at home. I had to downgrade to 4.6.11.1 to be able to access it via my hosted site or through no-ip.com.

I do not like that I had to downgrade, however I need to be able to get to my router from the outside if need be. I know I can use the app, however it is limited and I cannot access certain settings from it, so prefer accessing via the web when not at home.

Thanks

Message 12 of 85
Shwabo
Aspirant

Thank you for the suggestions, but I did try all of that before downgrading back to 4.6.11.1.  I even unplugged everything and let it sit for a few minutes, but that didn't help. One other strange thing I noticed as well when I was downgrading the FW was after flashing the SAT first, it showed that 4.6.14.3 was available for upgrade, however after downgrading the Router to 4.6.11.1 it showed no FW update available for either. 🤔

Anyway like I mentioned before, after downgrading, it works just fine no matter which browser I use. This makes me think that there is definitely something going on with the FW.

The only thing I did not try is a factory reset after flashing to 4.6.14.3, but then again, I shouldn't have to especially since it seems to work correctly with older FW. And I have used every FW since 3.2.18.1_1.4.14 without issue.

Message 13 of 85
CrimpOn
Guru

@Shwabo wrote:

Could you please explain more about "how this works?"  I'd like to replicate this process, but cannot figure out what to do.

(There's a computer on the LAN that is open to the internet - using port forwarding>? - so you do what??? Open a remote session on the computer and use it to open a web browser and access the router?)

Message 14 of 85
FURRYe38
Guru

I don't think its FW as others I know have loaded this version and have not expressed having problems logging into the RBRs web page. I use MS Edge mostly when doing FW updates and managing the router. Opera as a 2ndary browser.

What browser are you using? Does this happen in other browsers? 

Try a different PC as well to compare?  

@Shwabo wrote:

Thank you for the suggestions, but I did try all of that before downgrading back to 4.6.11.1.  I even unplugged everything and let it sit for a few minutes, but that didn't help. One other strange thing I noticed as well when I was downgrading the FW was after flashing the SAT first, it showed that 4.6.14.3 was available for upgrade, however after downgrading the Router to 4.6.11.1 it showed no FW update available for either. 🤔

Anyway like I mentioned before, after downgrading, it works just fine no matter which browser I use. This makes me think that there is definitely something going on with the FW.

The only thing I did not try is a factory reset after flashing to 4.6.14.3, but then again, I shouldn't have to especially since it seems to work correctly with older FW. And I have used every FW since 3.2.18.1_1.4.14 without issue.

Message 15 of 85
Shwabo
Aspirant

@CrimpOn wrote:

@Shwabo wrote:

Could you please explain more about "how this works?"  I'd like to replicate this process, but cannot figure out what to do.

(There's a computer on the LAN that is open to the internet - using port forwarding>? - so you do what??? Open a remote session on the computer and use it to open a web browser and access the router?)

So I have Remote management enabled on the router. I also have "Always use HTTPS to access" enabled. I have 2 different sites (domains) that are mine.

For example: https://mysite.ddns.net or https://mysite.com

Port Forwarding isn't necessary for Remote Management so no to that question. Also not sure what you mean by "open a remote session on my computer and use it to open a web browser". If you mean RDP to my PC from outside then no to that question as well. I just open a web browser on whatever device I am using is all.

After updating to FW 4.6.14.3 if I open a web browser (chrome or edge) and type in: https://mysite.ddns.net:8443 it tries to get to the web gui, but just keeps looping. I tried this from the same vlan i.e. my home network, and from different networks i.e. work or my cell phone. Same result. I noticed this first when the FW was finished updating and it tried to get back to the login page it just kept looping. I didn't think anything of it and just thought a reboot would fix it. Sadly, it did not.

if I use https://orbilogin.com from my home network it works and I can access the web GUI. Also the App seems to work fine from my cell phone (android).

I can not use orbilogin.com from work as we have orbi(s) there as well and it will try to get to the web interface for the work router. Plus I believe orbilogin.com is meant to be used when on the same network, not for Remote management per say.

Last night I downgraded to 4.6.11.1_2.3.6. Everything works as it should. And that was just a downgrade meaning I didn't reboot my modem, my switch, my PC, clear any cache or history etc.

This is what makes me think it is FW related and why I posted here to see if anyone else had the same issue.

I don't think I mentioned the device I have. RBK752.

I hope this helps to clarify the problem I am having. Please let me know if you need more info.

Thanks!!

Message 16 of 85
CrimpOn
Guru

@Shwabo wrote:

I have Remote management enabled on the router. I also have "Always use HTTPS to access" enabled. I have 2 different sites (domains) that are mine.

Aha!  Remote Management used to be available on my old RBR50 system, but one day it simply disappeared with a firmware update and has never returned.  The feature remains in the User Manual for my system (and for your RBR750 on page 95).

Welcome to Netgear Firmware Updates!

Message 17 of 85
FURRYe38
Guru

So your using other configurations to access the RBR. Helps to know this.

Remote Management used to be that you could access the RBRs web page from a remote location outside of the home network. NG removed this feature a while back. Making this feature a Orbi app feature using Anywhere Access and the only way to access "some" features remotely on the RBR system. Possible this was closed or became closed in  this version of FW for your kind of configuration. 

I'm glad the normal access works though...

Message 18 of 85
Shwabo
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

So your using other configurations to access the RBR. Helps to know this.

Remote Management used to be that you could access the RBRs web page from a remote location outside of the home network. NG removed this feature a while back. Making this feature a Orbi app feature using Anywhere Access and the only way to access "some" features remotely on the RBR system. Possible this was closed or became closed in  this version of FW for your kind of configuration. 

I'm glad the normal access works though...

Hmm...I did not even think to look to see if Remote Management settings were removed in the new FW. I will flash back to it (4.6.14.3) as soon as I have a chance and take a look. I will post back my findings.

Thank you @CrimpOn  and @FURRYe38 

Message 19 of 85
FURRYe38
Guru

Should be titled Web Services Management now. All this does is enable secure HTTP access to the RBRs web page. HTTPS vs HTTP. 

Message 20 of 85
elementze
Tutor

Upgraded today, no issues.

Saved old config, followed standard upgrade process listed in first post. Also switched over DHCP to limit to 100-200 range. Curious if this will make any difference in stability/performance.

It's nice to see regular, incremental improvements coming from NG!
Message 21 of 85
FURRYe38
Guru

Updated my RBK752 today as well. Just a power cycle after the FW was processed. 

Using .100 to .200 DHCP IP address pool range. 

Message 22 of 85
Shwabo
Aspirant

Upgraded the FW to the latest. Checked to see if Remote Management was removed. It is still present. Still has my Dynamic DNS in there. Still looping.

Still think it's a FW issue with Remote Management as it works with every FW up until this one.

At this point I suppose it is what it is. Will just have to stick to Remote Management via the app when outside of the local network. If anything else needs to be done that can't be done via the app, I guess it will have to wait until I am home. I'd rather stick to the newer FW especially for the security fixes.

If I find myself really stuck then I suppose I can set up\configure VPN services and VPN into my PC and then open web management from there.

Thank you everyone for your time, help, and suggestions. I greatly appreciate it.  

Message 23 of 85
FURRYe38
Guru

I presume that if you did the factory reset and setup the RBR from scratch, that would and should change. 

@Shwabo wrote:

Upgraded the FW to the latest. Checked to see if Remote Management was removed. It is still present. Still has my Dynamic DNS in there. Still looping.

Still think it's a FW issue with Remote Management as it works with every FW up until this one.

At this point I suppose it is what it is. Will just have to stick to Remote Management via the app when outside of the local network. If anything else needs to be done that can't be done via the app, I guess it will have to wait until I am home. I'd rather stick to the newer FW especially for the security fixes.

If I find myself really stuck then I suppose I can set up\configure VPN services and VPN into my PC and then open web management from there.

Thank you everyone for your time, help, and suggestions. I greatly appreciate it.  

Message 24 of 85
Shwabo
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I presume that if you did the factory reset and setup the RBR from scratch, that would and should change. 

Well no, I did not Factory Reset, but I can as soon as I get a little time to.

I suppose if NG did remove the Remote Management option with this FW revision, that it will no longer be available to configure after a Factory Reset.

I will post back as soon as I get a chance.

Thanks

Message 25 of 85
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7