Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version 4.6.3.16 Released/4.6.5.14

vadimdr123
Guide

Re: New RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version 4.6.3.16 Released

Got it, attached the image to the previous post. The status was as expected - "Service unreachable"

Message 226 of 306
FURRYe38
Guru

What do you see there if you remove 

• devcom.up.netgear.com
  • a1599er83nvyl8.iot.us-west-2.amazonaws.com

from being blocked while leaving the

http.fw.updates1.netgear.com

updates1.netgear.com blocked? 

Message 227 of 306
vadimdr123
Guide

Here you go:

• The router showed "Update failed"
  • The satellites showed "No New Firmware Available"

The screenshot from the pi-hole is attached

Message 228 of 306
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok Thanks for testing this. Seems that NG maybe moving there update services to those you posted. 

I'll try this when I get home. One thing I notice with mine using the addresses I meantioned, it seem to make the RBR loose connection to the internet on mine. I'll try the other two you mentioned and see what happens. 

Message 229 of 306
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok so this works, tried on my RBR850 use these addresses blocked on a upstream router. I get "Service Not Reachable" message. 

But RBR still works for internet services. Smiley Wink

@vadimdr123 wrote:

Just did it.

The router was trying to access 

• devcom.up.netgear.com
  • a1599er83nvyl8.iot.us-west-2.amazonaws.com

The second one was reachable, but the router still says that dns4.jpg

Message 230 of 306
vadimdr123
Guide

This is great, so it actually means only one domain should be blocked and it prevents the router and the satellites from being able to access the firmware updates.
Message 231 of 306
FURRYe38
Guru

The devcom.up one? 

Message 232 of 306
FURRYe38
Guru

EVERYONE:

Something new to try...seems to have some fixes:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6/New-RBR750-RBS750-Firmware-Version-4-6-5-14-Released/m-...

Post your experiences in that thread please. 

Message 233 of 306
COMountainGoat
Apprentice

Unless it has the ability to block future firmware updates, my weekend plans to rip Orbi out of the house are still on.

Message 234 of 306
FURRYe38
Guru

"it has the ability to block future firmware updates" Huh? 

Message 235 of 306
COMountainGoat
Apprentice

They need to make automatic updates an option that the user can choose or disable.  As long as they're forced without the ability to opt-out/block them, I'm done with any product from NetGear.

Message 236 of 306
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, your statement didn't make sense. 

Good Luck then. Enjoy. 

Message 237 of 306
COMountainGoat
Apprentice

No worries :-).

At this point they've lost all credibility.  Bad firmware releases have been a problem for years, and this last one was the last straw.  I get that other vendors have issues too, but they don't force them.  So instead of waking up to a borked network before critical calls and ongoing problems for days or weeks, I can wait until I have time to test the releases for stability.

It's the height of hubris and arrogance to repeatedly push bad firmware without an opt-out option.  

Message 238 of 306
jayeshm
Apprentice

Oh I have to agree. I actually like Orbi the product. When it works it’s fast and reliable.

However not being able to downgrade is a huge no no for me and forced upgrades even less. I am unfortunately stuck with the Orbi so I’ll keep in the box for now. I expect at some point some level of stability will be reached. Till then it stays packed

Btw what are you replacing the Orbi with? For me I choose to go with 3x flex hds I have, a used udm and Pihole with unbound . I know which are good firmware’s for these so for now network is very stable
Message 239 of 306
COMountainGoat
Apprentice

Yeah, that's the shame isn't it?  The best tri-band hardware on the market, and it's borked by a poor SDLC.

I have wired backhaul now (didn't when I first bought it), so am going with dual-band ASUS RTAX86U's for all four.  Figure even if AIMesh doesn't work, I can just put three in bridge mode and run as independent AP's off one base router.

Message 240 of 306
tak1313
Luminary

@COMountainGoat wrote:

Yeah, that's the shame isn't it?  The best tri-band hardware on the market, and it's borked by a poor SDLC.

I have wired backhaul now (didn't when I first bought it), so am going with dual-band ASUS RTAX86U's for all four.  Figure even if AIMesh doesn't work, I can just put three in bridge mode and run as independent AP's off one base router.

There's a writeup on Dongknows about optimizing AiMesh:

https://dongknows.com/best-aimesh-routers-and-combos/ 

Message 241 of 306
COMountainGoat
Apprentice

🙂 That's exactly the one that I used to pick the units.  He's got good stuff!

Message 242 of 306
tak1313
Luminary

@COMountainGoat wrote:

🙂 That's exactly the one that I used to pick the units.  He's got good stuff!

That's what was pushing me toward AiMesh (since I already was in to Asus), but then made the mistake of believing the Obi hype.  Don't get me wrong, I still think Orbi (with working firmware) DOES do mesh better than Asus (even AiMesh - I believe Dong uses AiMesh himself), which is PART of the reason why I put it as AP to my Asus a few weeks before the DNS issues crept up in the v3 firmware and the total cluster that is v4.

When it's time to move on (my wife says it happens WAY too often), it will never be NG anything again, even if I have to install more access points to cover what the Orbi is covering now.

Message 243 of 306
Lhymes
Tutor

My wife and I got so fed up with all the firmware issues and Netgear's inability to publicly address the problem that I ended up downgrading to v3. It's documented in solutions above, but I manually downgraded the satellites, then manually downgraded the router (have to disable the hide element on 'yes' button during the process), then reset the satellites and they automatically rejoined the router. I've blocked the update servers with my Pi-hole and, not surprisingly, everything is working fine again. This whole debacle is a friggen joke. My wife is an executive that works remotely 50% of the time and she was dropping off important company conference calls (most of which she is the host or senior member of), our TVs were constantly dropping connections, our wifi calling would fail, and the satellites were out of sync 50% of the time. It blows my mind that we haven't been given any sort of public apologies, offerings of complimentary assistance, or the option to return out products. I'm really bummed out that I didn't purchase through Costco, cause I would've sent it back like a bad habit. For now, I'm satisfied with the system working again, but I am definitely not offering the Orbi products as a solution to my clients anymore (and I've installed for probably 50+ households). Ubiquiti has had firmware issues in the past (they had a version 3 firmware at one time that wouldn't automatically upgrade and you had to SSH it), but nothing so catastrophic as this garbage and they were on the forums immediately offering assistance with resolution. I'm going to keep checking these forums daily for a formal update & solution, but I'm not holding my breath.

Message 244 of 306
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 245 of 306
jaideepdoc
Guide

hi

Since yesterday have got a intimation for new update 

current version is 4.6.3.16

New Version: 4.6.5.14

Set up: RBK 752 ( Router + one Satellite)

Has any one updated the same?  any feedback

thanks

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 246 of 306
COMountainGoat
Apprentice

Just a followup for those who asked - the new system is installed and running.  Much better coverage, much faster speeds, and a great big button - that defaults to 'off' for 'automatic firmware updates' in a full featured web interface that doesn't require an internet logon.

Bonus - you can actually segregate the guest network from the main one, use higher range channels, wifi config changes take seconds instead of minutes to apply, and can specify both WAN and LAN DNS Servers separately.  There were some minor glitches, but all in all my Apple gear seems to like it better (much faster connections from the apple TV to itunes, and Siri to Hue.

Only gap is that my bridge to an old .ac network for the elgato lights (they refuse to connect to a .ax network) isn't working...but I can troubleshoot that tomorrow.

Anyway, this will be my last post, as this is the end of my time as a Netgear customer.  Best of luck to all of you.

Message 247 of 306
FURRYe38
Guru

Please review and post feedback here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6/New-RBR750-RBS750-Firmware-Version-4-6-5-14-Released/m-...

Thank you. 

@jaideepdoc wrote:

hi

Since yesterday have got a intimation for new update 

current version is 4.6.3.16

New Version: 4.6.5.14

Set up: RBK 752 ( Router + one Satellite)

Has any one updated the same?  any feedback

thanks

Message 248 of 306
Lasertour
Star

So disapointed. Updated to latest release 4.6.5.14  and still having same intermittent loss of LAN connection/reboot about every hour.

What a disaster...

Message 249 of 306
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you factory reset the Orbi system and setup from scratch after applying the FW update?

@Lasertour wrote:

So disapointed. Updated to latest release 4.6.5.14  and still having same intermittent loss of LAN connection/reboot about every hour.

What a disaster...

Message 250 of 306
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7