Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version 4.6.3.16 Released

Lasertour
Star

Has anyone figured out a proven solution to the FW intermittent outage debacle from Netgear (besides a reboot or rebuild)?

Message 251 of 306
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 252 of 306
jayeshm
Apprentice

Waiting to find out
Message 253 of 306
Mr410
Star

@COMountainGoat wrote:

No worries :-).

At this point they've lost all credibility.  Bad firmware releases have been a problem for years, and this last one was the last straw.  I get that other vendors have issues too, but they don't force them.  So instead of waking up to a borked network before critical calls and ongoing problems for days or weeks, I can wait until I have time to test the releases for stability.

It's the height of hubris and arrogance to repeatedly push bad firmware without an opt-out option.  

First, there are actually users on this forum that have zero issues with these firmware updates, including myself. Also there are other vendors that indeed push firmware updates without user intervention. Google is one such vendor. In my six years on Google Wifi, some updates were solid, others missed the mark. Eventually I think all most of these vendors eventually get it right.

Message 254 of 306
N3tworkDud3
Apprentice

@Mr410 wrote:

First, there are actually users on this forum that have zero issues with these firmware updates, including myself. Also there are other vendors that indeed push firmware updates without user intervention. Google is one such vendor. In my six years on Google Wifi, some updates were solid, others missed the mark. Eventually I think all most of these vendors eventually get it right.

I'm glad there are people on this forum - includiing you, who have zero issues. In the decades of experience I've had supporting technology, iit's not uncommon for some to have issues and others not. Various reasons for that. But - I've also realized just because some other company does one thing does not make it riight for another to continue that practice.

When I first bought my Orbi system, it was highly rated and allowed you to manually install firmware when they became available. It allowed you to control when you may have the time to troubleshoot. It was also a time when people tended to go to an office to work - so the issues you had at home were limiting most people to streaming, gaming, browsing, etc. Some did work at home as well, yes. But it wasn't as prolific as it has been this past year or so.

The other concern is many people may be experiencing issues and not realize it. This Orbi firmware could be the reason behind why their computer, IOT devices, TV, etc are having periodic connectivity issues. They blame, not the router, but the ISP. Or the device. I'm willing to bet some people don't realize they aren't connecting to their satellite as the ssytem allows better experiences with it in place, but the router is taking care of their connectivity. Eventually, though, they will wisen up. Or replace their system with another since they are having issues and aren't technically savvy enough to troubleshoot. 

In closing - this experience is crap. Orbi dosn't "just work" and and I'm one who has noticed degredation of services over the past year or so. I was good for a few months. I'd trash the system and replace it - but I spent a crap ton of $$$$ on this system I'd prefer Netgear to pull their perverbial head out of their backside and fix things. I'm losing hope, though, and looking at other companies. And no way I'm recommending Netgear anything to people who seek my guidance - including the company I work for. it may be a lower cost than Cisco gear for use at small sites, but damn - no way Jose. 

Message 255 of 306
FURRYe38
Guru

I'd return the system and find something that does work for you then. 

Message 256 of 306
jamacphoto
Apprentice

My issue is Orbi , before the firmware fiasco, did work for me and quite well all over house my wifi speeds were 500 and that was amazing .

So if you are suggesting we should return the system ( most of us can’t as beyond return time) and what system would be better than old Orbi.

Have to add that i feel exactly the same as this.
Said better than I could.

“ In closing - this experience is crap. Orbi dosn't "just work" and and I'm one who has noticed degredation of services over the past year or so. I was good for a few months. I'd trash the system and replace it - but I spent a crap ton of $$$$ on this system I'd prefer Netgear to pull their perverbial head out of their backside and fix things. ”

Netgear, roll back to stable the firmware or actually fix it. Lol it is that easy
Message 257 of 306
FURRYe38
Guru

You can roll back FW if you want too. 

Message 258 of 306
jamacphoto
Apprentice

For the price of the system that is equivalent saying I should rebuild the transmission once a month so I can drive my vehicle. When there is a defect in my brand new vehicle

Again thank you for providing info for others that want to jump through all the hoops. And I would do it if pains up to $50 for the system Ok under $100 lol but not for the current price the system costs

Yes have seen all the many many hoops customers who bought a product can do to roll back. All I’m willing to do is I will get the file manually update the firmware with the old versions. But , then the auto update feature ruins it.

Better answer is Netgear can roll back FW so the customer is not forced to do the work the company should do.
Again am a computer programmer for 20+ years And many different languages/formats.
It is much easier for Netgear to rollback
Unless
The system is badly set up and that is very scary.
(Yes opened tickets and contacted many but it clear Netgear does not care for Orbi customers )

Hope all know this comment is another hoping Netgear see and maybe one employee see it and say will do something not directed at users offering suggestions
Message 259 of 306
FURRYe38
Guru

Something to make contact with NG support about or PM a forum moderator then. 

Message 260 of 306
jamacphoto
Apprentice

Guess you Missed that in my post been there and contacted many time and look where is got us lol.
Helping them do their jobs …and no paycheck like they get.
Thanks anyway
Message 261 of 306
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 262 of 306
Jeffoz
Apprentice

I send Darren messages but he does not reply. Funny part is I work in hosting, if we break things we talk to our customers. This company breaks thing and stays silent for weeks. Complete joke actually. I'm not even looking for an immediate fix but just for a response from Netgear to show that they care. Even that is too much for them.

I'm never buying any product of them again that decision is already made, not because they're making bad products but due to this complete silence and not taking us seriously.
Message 263 of 306
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you tried the v14 FW yet? 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-RBR750-RBS750-Firmware-Version-4...

@Jeffoz wrote:
I send Darren messages but he does not reply. Funny part is I work in hosting, if we break things we talk to our customers. This company breaks thing and stays silent for weeks. Complete joke actually. I'm not even looking for an immediate fix but just for a response from Netgear to show that they care. Even that is too much for them.

I'm never buying any product of them again that decision is already made, not because they're making bad products but due to this complete silence and not taking us seriously.

Message 264 of 306
Jeffoz
Apprentice

Doesn't work for the 850s so no. Can't try it out.
Message 265 of 306
FURRYe38
Guru

Please post in the 850 series forum thread regarding any experiences then please for your model Orbi:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-RBR850-RBS850-Firmware-Version-4...

Thank you. 

Message 266 of 306

I've upgraded to the new firmware now and the stabaility is noticabley different... it' much better.  Performing as it was prior to the last FW version.

Message 267 of 306
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you up grade to v3.16 or v5.14? 

@tomhutchings wrote:

I've upgraded to the new firmware now and the stabaility is noticabley different... it' much better.  Performing as it was prior to the last FW version.

Message 268 of 306

Upgraded from v3.  I returned my first RBS753 and Amazon sent me a replacement. Plan was to see how the new FW was before deciding on next step (return/refund)

My RBR auto updated and the RBS's (2) remained on v3 then overnight upgraded to N-1 of v4 FW (the dodgy one)... I then triggered an update to latest FW for the RBS.  Everything seems ok for now... as it should be, right 🙂 

Message 269 of 306
FURRYe38
Guru

So are you on v14 now? 

I recommend a full power OFF of the RBS and RBR for at least 1 minute then back ON with the RBR first the RBS lastly.

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

Message 270 of 306
TimCakir
Star

v14 works better but still I get a couple times a day a disconnect between satellite and router. 

In my office my laptop suddenly goes weaker wifi and I lose all my zoom call, today this happened on a live zoom podcast recording 😞 

I felt ashamed, paying this much money for the best system out there and being scammed by their firmware update, its like a scam 😞 But now I have enough and switching to another company. 

Message 271 of 306
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 272 of 306
Berryvl
Star

[sorry wong thread]

Manually upgraded to this FW (previously on the 4.6.3.7 version). No issues so far. Keeping the 20/40 MHz Coexistence unchecked in the advanced wireless setting for now.

Message 273 of 306
jordand
Star

The last three firmware updates have changed my system from functional to completely unusable. Dropouts constantly, unstable, unworkable. I've done so many factory resets. I gave up and I've unplugged the entire system, I am using my single ISP modem on the ground floor, and it is much better (actually an upgrade).

The way I see it, I was scammed out of 600 euros by this slimy excuse for a company.

Message 274 of 306
TimCakir
Star

Its absolutely a 600 euros scam! I agree with you.
I spent days trying to fix it but what Ive done now is to downgrade to the v3 firmware and everything is back to normal. I recommend doing that l, it wasnt easy at all but seems to be working fine now.

I followed these instructions:

1.  Downgrade the Firmware to  V3.2.10.10  for both Router and the Satellite, which is the very first Firmware version.   Using the way I mentioned in previous thread that pressing F12 in the downgrade page and unhide the Yes button. 

This Firmware version has Telnet option on Debug page.   

2. After that, perform factory reset on both  Router and the Satellite.

3. Finish basic configuration, but DO NOT connect to internet yet. 

4. Enable Telnet option on both Router and the Satellite in their Debug.html page. 

5. Telnet connect to both devices, and ran the following:

nvram set auto_upgrade_enable=0
nvram set ver_check_https_svr1=http.fw.updates1.aaa.com
nvram set ver_check_ftp_svr1=updates1.aaa.com
nvram set ver_check_ftp_svr2=updates1.aaa.com
nvram set ver_check_ftp_svr3=updates1.aaa.com
nvram set lang_check_ftp_svr=updates1.aaa.com
nvram set install_fw_upgrade_latest=0
nvram set ver_check_enable=0
nvram set ver_check_ftp_password=aaa@aaa
nvram set control_cloud_backend_fw_url=https://http.fw.updates1.aaa.com
nvram set promotion_server=updates1.aaa.com
nvram commit

6. Make sure the above run on both devices. 

7. Go to Managment page -> Advanced -> Security -> Block Sites :
     a. Keyword Block set to "Always"
     b. Add the following key words:
         http.fw.updates1.netgear.com
         updates1.netgear.com
     c. Click Apply. 

8. Perform a Soft reboot from Advanced Home : -> Reboot -> Connect back to the Internet. 

9. After that, my firmware update page showing this:

Router    RBR750        RBR750            V3.2.10.10     Service unreachable
Satellite  RBS750       Orbi Satellite-1   V3.2.10.10     Service unreachable

10, I will monitor for a day or so to see if this works. 
Message 275 of 306
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7