Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version 4.6.3.16 Released

N3tworkDud3
Apprentice

Re: New RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version 4.6.3.16 Released

I guess you saw I did that. My purpose in posting here was to ensure it's known this FW update impacted multiple models of router. This was the first thread I found - I came here because I was having problems and could not contact support without paying. Which - I have to say - I'm pretty pissed about given it's THEIR update that caused the issue.

Where was the QA on this? I've had problems with Cisco in the past, but dang - this was the worst. Can't recommend Orbi or any other Netgear product now until we see improvements in implementation, control, and support.

Message 51 of 306
Mr410
Star

Sorry to be the buzz kill. My Orbi setup automatically upgraded to the new firmware without issues. Speeds look strong, satellite connection is excellent. Hope everyone finds a good fix.

Message 52 of 306
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

Thanks for letting us know. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@Mr410 wrote:

Sorry to be the buzz kill. My Orbi setup automatically upgraded to the new firmware without issues. Speeds look strong, satellite connection is excellent. Hope everyone finds a good fix.

Message 53 of 306
InitialG
Guide

As mentioned in the other thread, my router + 2 satelites auto updated to the new version (really should be optional, configurable)

I tried the below as suggested:

Try a FULL on power OFF of the RBR and RBS and ISP modem for 2 minutes then back ON

- The update doesn't seem to have fixed the previous issues that I was having.

- I'm still catching my satellites goes through a flashing white light, to solid blue light cycle periodically.

- My samsung TV is still unable to join my wifi network (this was working for well over a year before the previous auto update to 4.3.7.x).

Message 54 of 306
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a full on factory reset and setup from scratch. Reset the RBS first then turn them OFF. Setup the RBR first and get it running. Turn turn ON the RBS and re-sync...

@InitialG wrote:

As mentioned in the other thread, my router + 2 satelites auto updated to the new version (really should be optional, configurable)

I tried the below as suggested:

Try a FULL on power OFF of the RBR and RBS and ISP modem for 2 minutes then back ON

- The update doesn't seem to have fixed the previous issues that I was having.

- I'm still catching my satellites goes through a flashing white light, to solid blue light cycle periodically.

- My samsung TV is still unable to join my wifi network (this was working for well over a year before the previous auto update to 4.3.7.x).

Message 55 of 306
r-lerman
Guide

Re: New RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version 4.6.3.16 Release is UNSTABLE

Did you try to switch to AP mode?

I had the same issue. In AP mode it works fine. I had to connect my satellites with a cable in this configuration.

You also need another router for this, or you have to switch your modem from bridge to roter mode.

It is a temporary solution but at least I do not have intermittent wired and wireless connection any more.

@Lasertour wrote:

Hi  @ChristineT,

Netgear’s FW is still a major issue which is affecting school, work, etc.

Here's my setup, brief history, and the current situation:

• Upon the FW4.6.3.7 upgrade started to experience complete system outages about every 60 minutes for around 90 seconds.

ORIGINAL SETUP = att Fiber (pass through mode) > Orbi RBR750 in router mode > Backhaul (wired via CAT6) RBS750 satellite

Efforts to resolve with no resolution:

- Power cycle of all hardware (Orbi’s and ATT) for 10 minutes

- Remove and add satellite

- Test cabling

- Reset entire system (start over)

***STILL EXPERIENCING INTERMITTENT OUTAGES***

• Replaced RBS750 Satellite FW V4.6.3.7 with new RBS850 Satellite FW V4.6.3.9

SETUP = att Fiber (pass through mode) > Orbi RBR750 FW V4.6.3.7 in router mode > Backhaul (wired via CAT6) RBS850 satellite FW V4.6.3.9

Replacement successful as outages disappeared (for 5 days until new firmware was automatically updated).

***SYSTEM STABLE***

• Upon FW V4.6.3.16_2.0.51 automatic upgrade the complete system outages about every 60 minutes for around 90 seconds came back.

SETUP = att Fiber (pass through mode) > Orbi RBR750 FW V4.6.3.16_2.0.51 in router mode > Backhaul (wired via CAT6) RBS850 satellite FW V4.6.3.9

Efforts to resolve with no resolution:

- Power cycle of all hardware (Orbi’s and ATT) for 10 minutes

- Remove and add satellite

- Added previous RBS750 satellite and upgraded to FW V4.6.3.16_2.0.51

- Reset entire system (start over)

***STILL EXPERIENCING INTERMITTENT OUTAGES***

In summary, my configuration was working for over a year BEFORE the FW 4.6.3.7 or FW 4.6.3.16 upgrades.

Does Netgear acknowledge this Firmware issue? When can all of us customers expect a Firmware update that will actually resolve this major issue?

Thanks again for following up.

Message 56 of 306
cdawson
Guide

Thanks for the info in this thread.  My RBR850 and 2 RBS850's automatically received the .16 firmware update earlier this week, and the satellites keep rebooting randomly (flashing white then blue).  Everything has been stable and no issues before this firmware update.

Going to try the full 2 min power down and see if it addresses it.

Message 57 of 306
FURRYe38
Guru

Please post about your 8 series Orbi experiences here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6/New-RBR850-RBS850-Firmware-Version-4-6-3-16-Released/m-...

Thank you. 

@cdawson wrote:

Thanks for the info in this thread.  My RBR850 and 2 RBS850's automatically received the .16 firmware update earlier this week, and the satellites keep rebooting randomly (flashing white then blue).  Everything has been stable and no issues before this firmware update.

Going to try the full 2 min power down and see if it addresses it.

Message 58 of 306
alphanstein
Guide

I just acquired and installed my system a week ago.  One day all (4) my satellites were disconnected (2 wired and 2 wireless).  I was trying to figure out what happened but then I ended up hitting reboot via the app because I couldn't see what went wrong.  They reconnected and then I started searching for why this happened on my brand new system.  I was surprised to see the firmware had auto-updated with no notification to me.  Having come from a Google Wifi system, they always notified me of an update and if I wanted to proceed.  This auto update with no mechanism to shut off auto updates should not be this way, especially if you cannot guarantee 100% of no issues and also have users that are beyond their support window stuck trying to get help for a fee.  That is effectively forcing your customers to have to sue you if you cause a problem that they did not agree too.  This should be a wake up call to Netgear to put the consumer selection back in the process unless you want to take on the support burden of updates gone wrong for free!

Now as to my system, the reboot worked and devices connected again, but I kept seeing out of sync on one of the satellites pop up occasionally.  In hunting what was happening, the auto update did not work for this one until and I had to manually update it so it has the same firmware as the rest now.  Two days in I am not seeing the out of sync pop up in the web gui anymore.  Just highlighting in case others have the same issue.

Message 59 of 306
FURRYe38
Guru

Be aware that with NG and Orbi, users systems can be updated with out notice seems like so be aware. 

If your system IS working, Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 

@alphanstein wrote:

I just acquired and installed my system a week ago.  One day all (4) my satellites were disconnected (2 wired and 2 wireless).  I was trying to figure out what happened but then I ended up hitting reboot via the app because I couldn't see what went wrong.  They reconnected and then I started searching for why this happened on my brand new system.  I was surprised to see the firmware had auto-updated with no notification to me.  Having come from a Google Wifi system, they always notified me of an update and if I wanted to proceed.  This auto update with no mechanism to shut off auto updates should not be this way, especially if you cannot guarantee 100% of no issues and also have users that are beyond their support window stuck trying to get help for a fee.  That is effectively forcing your customers to have to sue you if you cause a problem that they did not agree too.  This should be a wake up call to Netgear to put the consumer selection back in the process unless you want to take on the support burden of updates gone wrong for free!

Now as to my system, the reboot worked and devices connected again, but I kept seeing out of sync on one of the satellites pop up occasionally.  In hunting what was happening, the auto update did not work for this one until and I had to manually update it so it has the same firmware as the rest now.  Two days in I am not seeing the out of sync pop up in the web gui anymore.  Just highlighting in case others have the same issue.

Message 60 of 306
VerneArase
Apprentice

RBS850 fell offline and came back with downlevel firmware

I have a RBK853, and this evening there was a storm and the Living Room satellite fell offline.

I hit the sync button and light went from white to blue, and the satellite came online but it showed Out of Sync on the device display.

I powered it off and the white light appeared but never turned blue.

I pressed the reset switch and the white light again failed to turn blue.

I checked its firmwave version and though previously all components showed 4.6.3.16, now the Living Room Satellite showed 4.6.3.9.

I uploaded a firmware file for the RBS850 to the Living Room satellite now shows the proper firmware level (4.6.3.16).

Anyone know what's going on?

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 61 of 306
jaideepdoc
Guide

hi

updated the firmware through the orbi app.  the system has been stable over the past few days.  I am currently back in office and the kids are still school from home.  hence any internet issues are flagged of by them.  which they havent 

but did see the sattelite unit turn blue couple of times.  am monitorting the same 

have done a shut down once and reboot twice.  

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 62 of 306

4.6.3.16 remains unstable - satellite goes through sync cycle still on a fairly regular basis, and if has lan attached, a very regular basis. The lack of acknowledgement from Netgear is appalling.

Message 63 of 306
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBS850 fell offline and came back with downlevel firmware

@VerneArase 

Please post about your 8 series orbi in this thread:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6/New-RBR850-RBS850-Firmware-Version-4-6-3-16-Released/m-...

This thread is for the 7 series. Thank you,

@VerneArase wrote:

I have a RBK853, and this evening there was a storm and the Living Room satellite fell offline.

I hit the sync button and light went from white to blue, and the satellite came online but it showed Out of Sync on the device display.

I powered it off and the white light appeared but never turned blue.

I pressed the reset switch and the white light again failed to turn blue.

I checked its firmwave version and though previously all components showed 4.6.3.16, now the Living Room Satellite showed 4.6.3.9.

I uploaded a firmware file for the RBS850 to the Living Room satellite now shows the proper firmware level (4.6.3.16).

Anyone know what's going on?

Message 64 of 306
FURRYe38
Guru

Keep an eye on it. 

@jaideepdoc wrote:

hi

updated the firmware through the orbi app.  the system has been stable over the past few days.  I am currently back in office and the kids are still school from home.  hence any internet issues are flagged of by them.  which they havent 

but did see the sattelite unit turn blue couple of times.  am monitorting the same 

Message 65 of 306
FURRYe38
Guru

Contact NG support and let them know what your experiencing.

@MaleHumanUK wrote:

4.6.3.16 remains unstable - satellite goes through sync cycle still on a fairly regular basis, and if has lan attached, a very regular basis. The lack of acknowledgement from Netgear is appalling.

Message 66 of 306
jaideepdoc
Guide

hi 

i have the router on the hall and sattelite in the bedroom.  distance is approx 14 ft

on a iphone xr i am notice that when i come to the bedroom the wifi connectivity seems to drop.  when i manually try and connect it show jd orbi guest also as an option.

In my set up i have disabled the guest mode since the begining

so i dont know why should i appear.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 67 of 306
jdk1120
Apprentice

@jaideepdoc wrote:

hi

This is my experience too.  This updated firmware seems to be more stable than before, but still unreliable.  Satellite goes blue several times a day. But the internet, rather than disconnecting like before, just becomes slower so it's more "manageable" (at least I'm not frozen on work Zoom calls, but just low quality audio/video for ~10 seconds).

I have default settings, so I'll later test whether turning off AX might help.

Btw, what is "AP mode?"  I've seen this mentioned several times but don't know what it means.

Message 68 of 306
FURRYe38
Guru

@jaideepdoc wrote:

hi 

i have the router on the hall and sattelite in the bedroom.  distance is approx 14 ft< this i too close between the RBR and  RBS. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

on a iphone xr i am notice that when i come to the bedroom the wifi connectivity seems to drop.  when i manually try and connect it show jd orbi guest also as an option.

In my set up i have disabled the guest mode since the begining

so i dont know why should i appear.

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Message 69 of 306
FURRYe38
Guru

@jdk1120 wrote:

Btw, what is "AP mode?"  I've seen this mentioned several times but don't know what it means.

https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Message 70 of 306
Renegade5150
Tutor

Same here. The firmware so far has been stable however I only have 13 devices connected. Just added a pi-hole which has been good. Knocking on wood for now…
Message 71 of 306
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds good. Keep an eye on it. 

@Renegade5150 wrote:
Same here. The firmware so far has been stable however I only have 13 devices connected. Just added a pi-hole which has been good. Knocking on wood for now…

Message 72 of 306
Bali-v
Initiate

I had similar issues of dropping wifi frequently with RBR750 FW 4.6.3.16. I use my Orbi in AP mode. I hard reset my ONT, router, RBR and RBS( unplugged for 5 min). I haven’t seen any drop in wifi for the past 2 days. Speeds have been stable and overall stability has improved quite a lot.
Message 73 of 306
Nopeynope
Star

OH. MY. GOD. What an evening from hell.  Trying to follow all the tips from the last few days......I just wrapped up 6 straight hours trying to get this POS to work like it should.     I can't even begin to describe all the many different types of issues since this horrid update.

Some devices(my friggin brand new 5G mobile phone, and personal laptop included) wouldn't connect.....one Satellite took a dozen tries to connect.  

To this very minute, I tried so many things, I still don't know what FINALLY did the trick. Brute force/ sheer sheer # of efforts?

To the Netgear moderator gent in this thread(I think?) - THANK YOU for your willingness to jump in and provide guidance- we appreciate you trying to help.

But I've gotta tell ya.....I'm ABSOLUTELY looking for a new mesh system.  I've had nothing but issues with this router and 2 satellites since end of last year.

Everytime I lose power to the router,  NOTHING comes back online by itself.  I have to do a damn hard reset(using same SSID and password so the 3 dozen smart "things" in my home can reconnect), because nothing else fixes it.  I've heard that if left alone for hours, it MAY right itself? But who's got that kind of time in the middle of a work from home business day??

Can someone confirm how restoring a backup .cfg file works? Is it really just easy enough to blast through to desktop settings UI and restore to get right back to a 100% working network setup?  Kicking myself for not finding this out sooner. 

Sorry for venting...... I'm going to medicate myself to sleep now. 

Message 74 of 306

Same problem with the Samsung TV (among other devices). 

The very odd (temporary) solution was to: Rename wifi network, remove authentication, connect TV. Rename wifi network back to what it was, connect tv. Add authentication/old password, connect tv. That works for about a day then the problem reoccurs.

Message 75 of 306
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7