Re: New - RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version 4.6.5.14 Released

FURRYe38
Guru

New - RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version 4.6.5.14 Released

Enhancements:

• Adds support for the RBS350

Security Fixes:

• Fixes security vulnerabilities.

For more information about security vulnerabilities, visit https://www.netgear.com/about/security.

Bug Fixes:

• Fixes issue where the satellite LED continuously switches between white, blue, and off state.
  • Fixes some stability and connectivity issues.
  • Fixes other various bugs.

Download Link:

RBR750: https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBK752/RBR750-V4.6.5.14.zip

RBS750: https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBK752/RBS750-V4.6.5.14.zip

Firmware Update Instructions:

To update your product’s firmware, follow the instructions in your product’s user manual. To find your user manual, visit https://www.netgear.com/support/, enter your model number in the search box, and click the Documentation button on the product page.

If you manually update, be sure to update the RBS first, then RBR lastly. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000037217/How-do-I-check-and-manually-upgrade-the-firmware-on-my-Orbi-satelli...

https://kb.netgear.com/31573/How-do-I-manually-upgrade-firmware-on-my-Orbi-router-using-orbilogin-co...

NOTE: After the FW files are loaded and the RBS and RBR are ready, power OFF the RBS and RBR for 2 minutes then back ON. Unplug the power adapters from the power wall outlet. 

This article applies to:

Let us know how it works for you in this thread please. 

Message 1 of 526

Accepted Solutions
Toughguy5
Guide

WOW, this morning about 2am i decided to update my two ORBI RBS satillites first. and that went ok, till a fantom ORBI showed up in my Orbi App. i then proceeded to update the RBR750, that went well till it said it was online but it wasnt. i followed the directions according to Furrye38, (ty) and i unplugged the sats and then the router, waited 2-3 minutes then i plugged in the router and then the sats and waited........it took a few minutes and the router came online then the sats followed. it still took some time for all my devices to get back on line (about 60), which is normal thing that has been happening. then today was the test. we had some heavy thunderstorms roll in, these south florida storms alway knock out some power or damages some weak transformers to were the power goes on and off real quick. it happened 3 times in a half hour i also have the comcast modem and the RBR750 plugged into a surge and battery back up. the weakest like here is the sats, no battery-back up for them and they used to take forever to re-sync but after the upgraded firmware last night, WOW, the ORBI's came right back online which shocked me, i thought i would need to reboot the sats. but no input from me and the whole system came back online quick. i am no IT guy here but this is a major inprovement from the previous firmware that almost killed the ORBI system. thanks to all here on this forum, i have learned alot from here.

View solution in original post

Message 46 of 526

All Replies
Mastra11
Apprentice

Hello, I have orbi RBK753 and I too have received the notification of this new firmware version 4.6.5.14 I have not yet installed it. Has anyone installed it works fine and without problems? Thank you.
Message 2 of 526
orbiuser1975
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Bug Fixes:

• Fixes issue where the satellite LED continuously switches between white, blue, and off state.
  • Fixes some stability and connectivity issues.
  • Fixes other various bugs.

First, glad to see that NG is trying to resolve these issues, albeit with little transparency. Although the number of firmware updates in so little time is fairly telling...  I have to chuckle at calling out "Fixes issue where the satelltie LED continuously ...", surely this wasn't the title of the bug being tracked internally, was the fix to just disable the LED, LOL?  This came at a good time, when everybody needs it, and on the weekend when we all can kick the family off the WiFi, maybe... I'll be testing this out ASAP, even if it means wasting another Saturday...

Message 3 of 526

Most helpful, as always. Any sight to equiavalent update for RBR850 series? Can this be used for the RBR850 as well given it's all the same issues?

Really appreciated, @FURRYe38 - I have read dozens of your posts over too many issues and you've always brought practical guidance and usually resolution. 

Message 4 of 526
titaniumrx8
Apprentice

To whoever tries this update. Please let us know if you can restore all of your settings using the pre-update config backup file.

Of course keep us posted on any other observations as well.

Good luck.
Message 5 of 526
tak1313
Luminary

@titaniumrx8 wrote:
To whoever tries this update. Please let us know if you can restore all of your settings using the pre-update config backup file.

Good luck.

Give it a couple of days.  NG is going to force the update on unsuspecting souls, and the results will be posted in this forum...

Message 6 of 526
Thalador
Apprentice

@tak1313 wrote:

@titaniumrx8 wrote:

Good luck.

Give it a couple of days.  NG is going to force the update on unsuspecting souls, and the results will be posted in this forum...

Luckily I downgraded to be able to block NG from breaking my network again. Looking forward to the hundreds of posts about how fixing the LED issue solved everything.

Message 7 of 526
jamacphoto
Apprentice

Just checked my firmware update page and it looks like I’ve got 4.6.5.14 installed must have auto did it.
Been working from home for the past four hours and had some web conference calls and there has been no issues. My issues in the past have been once every week or so but when it happens it really happens like actually yesterday morning it took me an hour of reboots to finally get everything back and working again. Have speeds of normal
Message 8 of 526
jamacphoto
Apprentice

And the add the question about restoring configurations or settings I did not adjust any of mine so like I always had a Ax and did not adjust others all out of box settings for most part
Message 9 of 526
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend powering OFF the ISP modem/ONT and RBR and RBS for a good full minute or two, then power ON the ISP modem/ont, the RBR then RBS lastly. Should be all thats needed hopefully. After this, save off a new back up configuration to file. 

@jamacphoto wrote:
Just checked my firmware update page and it looks like I’ve got 4.6.5.14 installed must have auto did it.
Been working from home for the past four hours and had some web conference calls and there has been no issues. My issues in the past have been once every week or so but when it happens it really happens like actually yesterday morning it took me an hour of reboots to finally get everything back and working again. Have speeds of normal

Message 10 of 526
jamacphoto
Apprentice

Ok will do that tonight after work. Thanks
Message 11 of 526
vadimdr123
Guide

Glad my DNS blocking of devcom.up.netgear.com is working, no updates were pushed, the update page still shows as Service unreachable. Will wait couple of days to see the responses and then will update the system manually

Message 12 of 526
jayeshm
Apprentice

This is the best step going forward. It's good i had preconfigured gear sitting around and was able to restore my network in a matter of mins. I was presenting in a conf and it would have been an utter disaster.

My orbi 854 completely broke with the last firmware. When i get the chance i will do the same via my home dns server and will wait to see threads before even contemplating getting a new firmware. 

Message 13 of 526
jayeshm
Apprentice

It literally mentions it in the post itself

'Applies to'.

Message 14 of 526
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 15 of 526

Of course the model selection doesn't even include the RBR750/RBS750. In any event, just got this firmware. So far, not great. Devices keep losing the internet. I've rebooted (unplugged from the wall) the Orbi system a couple times now. I can't help but think that should not be necessary. I can connect with Anywhere Access and get great speed tests. Ethernet ports sometimes work, wireless doesn't appear to be working at all. One of the satellites does say out of sync. Both satellites are supposed to be ethernet backhaul... so one wonders how they could be out of sync to begin with. In any event... work from home. This is very disruptive. Wifi refuses to work and I have calls to be on. I guess thank goodness for hotspots on my cell phone.

Message 16 of 526
ant
Prodigy
Prodigy

Got the updates. We'll see how they are. I hope it fixes my unstable guest wifi connections.

Message 17 of 526
FURRYe38
Guru

It does include:

for this FW version.

Was the FW applied via auto update or did you manually apply the FW using a wired PC and web browser? 

Did you power OFF The ISP modem, RBR and RBS for 1 minute or longer then back ON after the FW was installed? 

@Microsoft365 wrote:

Of course the model selection doesn't even include the RBR750/RBS750. In any event, just got this firmware. So far, not great. Devices keep losing the internet. I've rebooted (unplugged from the wall) the Orbi system a couple times now. I can't help but think that should not be necessary. I can connect with Anywhere Access and get great speed tests. Ethernet ports sometimes work, wireless doesn't appear to be working at all. One of the satellites does say out of sync. Both satellites are supposed to be ethernet backhaul... so one wonders how they could be out of sync to begin with. In any event... work from home. This is very disruptive. Wifi refuses to work and I have calls to be on. I guess thank goodness for hotspots on my cell phone.

Message 18 of 526
Soloman
Star

I have installed this version and everything seems to be working fine - the update took place automatically and did not requiure a manual power off/on to resynch the satellites

Message 19 of 526
FURRYe38
Guru

How did you apply the FW updates? Auto update or manully? 

Be sure to power OFF the RBR and RBS for a good full minute or more then back ON with the RBR first then RBR lastly. 

Keep us posted...

@ant wrote:

Got the updates. We'll see how they are. I hope it fixes my unstable guest wifi connections.

Message 20 of 526

Applied with wired desktop which is still acting funny. Speeds at the device level... If they connect, are abysmal until they drop again. Still don't understand how rebooting my netgear modem is going to fix the router connection issues. 32 of the 36 devices won't even pull an IP. This has nothing to with the modem. I should still be able to connect to wifi with or without an internet connection.
Message 21 of 526
ant
Prodigy
Prodigy

@FURRYe38 wrote:

How did you apply the FW updates? Auto update or manully? 

Be sure to power OFF the RBR and RBS for a good full minute or more then back ON with the RBR first then RBR lastly. 

Keep us posted...

@ant wrote:

I did it through http://192.168.1.1. Is powering off and on really necessary?

Message 22 of 526
FURRYe38
Guru

It's a first step in troubleshooting. If devices are not getting an IP address, I would reboot them as well or power cycle them. Might graduate turning them ON one at a time or a few at a time and see. I'd also turn OFF the RBS as well and see if the RBR connects with your devices alone, then turn on the RBS one at a time. 

If that fails, next step will be a full on factory reset. 

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

@Microsoft365 wrote:
Applied with wired desktop which is still acting funny. Speeds at the device level... If they connect, are abysmal until they drop again. Still don't understand how rebooting my netgear modem is going to fix the router connection issues. 32 of the 36 devices won't even pull an IP. This has nothing to with the modem. I should still be able to connect to wifi with or without an internet connection.

Message 23 of 526

As stated in a previous post, satellites are ethernet backhaul so it doesn't matter the size of my home or how far apart they are.

I have a netgear CM2000 modem connected to Comcast. Not keen on dropping my serial number on a public forum.

I'm in the process of rebooting everything. I'll post again when this is complete.
Message 24 of 526
FURRYe38
Guru

actutally wireless or ethernet connected it does make a difference on placement and distance between the RBR and RBS. Why we ask the distance. 

Are the RBS directly connected to the RBR? Use what CAT# cable? Cat6 is recommended. If not directly connected, is there a ethernet switch in between? If so, brand and model# please. 

Model # of the modem is all thats needed. Serial number was not asked for and is not recommended to post in publc forums. 

Message 25 of 526
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7