Reply

Re: New - RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version 4.6.5.14 Released

orbiuser1975
Apprentice

Re: New - RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version 4.6.5.14 Released


@FURRYe38 wrote:

How was your system updated? 

Did you power OFF the RBR and RBS for 5 minutes then back ON after v14 was applied. 

 

Does the RBS appear connected to the RBR while ethernet  connected to the back the RBR with out the unmanaged swtich? 

What was the brand and model# of this 'unmanaged' switch again?

 

Id do a full factory reset on the RBR and RBS if nothing else resolves this...


@FURRYe38 Thanks for the suggestions.

 

It was updated via the web interface Advanced -> Administration -> Firmware Update -> Online Update "UpdateAll" (noting the missing space...).

 

Yes, both RBR and RBS were turned off for more than 5 minutes, the RBS turned on first for at least 10 minutes, followed by the RBS.

 

I didn't test connecting the RBS and RBS directly, as that had worked in the past as advertised by NG, but ultimately doesn't help me as the final (and original) install won't be able to use a direct cable. I expect it does work, but again not helpful.

 

The unmanaged switch is a TrendNet TEG-S16Dg, the same switch that was in the mix with v3 that worked. I have a couple of NG 5 and 8 port switches that I'll try and see if it matters.

 

I haven't done a complete factory reset yet, but will take that under advisement. I hope if NG is going to continue forcing updates, they ensure that a factory reset isn't required...

My Setup (FiOS ONT 300Mbps/300Mbps) > pfSense (DIY) > RBR750 (AP) > RBS750 v4.6.5.14
Message 51 of 526
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: New - RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version 4.6.5.14 Released

Id ensure the RBS are working directly connected. 

Then take one of the other switches and connected while you have the RBS near the RBR. Test and check the RBS. Swap out each switch and test to see if anything appears. Switch can go bad. Also this helps verify RBS and swtich operation. 

Might be a cable issue too. 

 

Your current swtich is Green Ethernet supporting:

https://www.trendnet.com/products/product-detail?prod=235_TEG-S16Dg

Something that Orbi has long has had a problem with in the past. Even though it worked for you on v3, v4 may have changes this behavior. So try a different switch while you trouble shoot this. 

 

My 8 series is in AP mode currenly and both RBS are working with v4 loaded while connected to my HP Procurve switch. I'll check on my 7 series after a while. 

My Setup ISP SparkLight | Internet Cable 1000↓/50↑ CAX80 Modem Mode |  Wifi Router RBK853 (Router Mode) | and R9000 (Router Mode) | Switches NG GS105/8, GS308v3, GS110MX and XS505M | Additional NG HW: C7800/CAX80/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi: CBK40, CBK752, RBK50, RBK853, RBK752, RBK953, SXK30 | NightHawk: MK63, MR6150, R7000, R7800, R7960P, R8000, R8500, R9000, RAXE500, RAX50, XR450, XR1000, EX7500/EX7700

Message 52 of 526
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: New - RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version 4.6.5.14 Released

Ok, got my RBS750 ethernet connect to a HP ProCurve switch thats connected to my RBR750 running v14:

RBS750EthernetConnectedHPProCurveSwitch.png

I'll leave this run for a bit and check on it after a while. 

My Setup ISP SparkLight | Internet Cable 1000↓/50↑ CAX80 Modem Mode |  Wifi Router RBK853 (Router Mode) | and R9000 (Router Mode) | Switches NG GS105/8, GS308v3, GS110MX and XS505M | Additional NG HW: C7800/CAX80/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi: CBK40, CBK752, RBK50, RBK853, RBK752, RBK953, SXK30 | NightHawk: MK63, MR6150, R7000, R7800, R7960P, R8000, R8500, R9000, RAXE500, RAX50, XR450, XR1000, EX7500/EX7700

Message 53 of 526

Re: New - RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version 4.6.5.14 Released

Still having issues with connectivity. Randomly my devices just lose DNS and stop being able to go out to the internet. Only resolution is to restart my devices. This includes Apple TV, multiple Windows devices, a couple phones (iPhone and Android) and Echo... etc. The list goes on. I've had this setup for months... and now this firmware update sends it all into oblivion. I've changed nothing but updated the firmware. And yes, I've rebooted the router and satellites and the Netgear cable modem. It works for a time, then fails. This has never happened before now. Is there an easy way to roll this back and prevent future updates?

Message 54 of 526
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: New - RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version 4.6.5.14 Released

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed yet? 

I would power OFF the ISP modem for 1 minute. Factory reset the Orbi router and power it off. Power ON the ISP modem and let it sync. Then power ON the Orbi router and walk thru the setup wizard again using a wired PC and a web browser.

Press the back reset button for 15 seconds then release. 


@Microsoft365 wrote:

Still having issues with connectivity. Randomly my devices just lose DNS and stop being able to go out to the internet. Only resolution is to restart my devices. This includes Apple TV, multiple Windows devices, a couple phones (iPhone and Android) and Echo... etc. The list goes on. I've had this setup for months... and now this firmware update sends it all into oblivion. I've changed nothing but updated the firmware. And yes, I've rebooted the router and satellites and the Netgear cable modem. It works for a time, then fails. This has never happened before now. Is there an easy way to roll this back and prevent future updates?


 

My Setup ISP SparkLight | Internet Cable 1000↓/50↑ CAX80 Modem Mode |  Wifi Router RBK853 (Router Mode) | and R9000 (Router Mode) | Switches NG GS105/8, GS308v3, GS110MX and XS505M | Additional NG HW: C7800/CAX80/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi: CBK40, CBK752, RBK50, RBK853, RBK752, RBK953, SXK30 | NightHawk: MK63, MR6150, R7000, R7800, R7960P, R8000, R8500, R9000, RAXE500, RAX50, XR450, XR1000, EX7500/EX7700

Message 55 of 526
srinivasgnv
Guide

Re: New - RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version 4.6.5.14 Released

RBS750 Unable to fetch new FW version. The below status staus forever.

RBS750.png

 

Tried manual upgrade of RBS750. Not sure how/ which credentials to login to the popup login page 

RBS750-1.jpg

 

Could someone help, please!

Message 56 of 526
srinivasgnv
Guide

Re: New - RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version 4.6.5.14 Released

 

I am not sure why my screenshots are not updated in my above post .. so here is what is happening 

 

I am not sure what credentials I need to use and why is this screen popping up. 

 

 

Message 57 of 526
srinivasgnv
Guide

Re: New - RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version 4.6.5.14 Released

Surprisingly after several tries I started seeing the updated firmware for both router and satellite. Clicked update all
Finally the update completed successfully and I could see in the Online Update >> Status table that both RBR750 and RBS750 are updated to V4.6.5.14. But the version info on the top right corner still shows older version V4.6.3.16_2.0.51
After a couple of refreshes the version info on the top right corner also got updated to V4.6.5.14_2.0.54
My issue is resolved. Thank you!
Message 58 of 526

Re: New - RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version 4.6.5.14 Released

Firmware still broken.

Satellite still regularly cycle between white flashing light, blue, nothing.

So tired of this.
Message 59 of 526
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: New - RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version 4.6.5.14 Released

Try a full factory reset, power OFF for 5 minutes then back ON and setup from scratch. 


@MaleHumanUK wrote:
Firmware still broken.

Satellite still regularly cycle between white flashing light, blue, nothing.

So tired of this.

 

My Setup ISP SparkLight | Internet Cable 1000↓/50↑ CAX80 Modem Mode |  Wifi Router RBK853 (Router Mode) | and R9000 (Router Mode) | Switches NG GS105/8, GS308v3, GS110MX and XS505M | Additional NG HW: C7800/CAX80/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi: CBK40, CBK752, RBK50, RBK853, RBK752, RBK953, SXK30 | NightHawk: MK63, MR6150, R7000, R7800, R7960P, R8000, R8500, R9000, RAXE500, RAX50, XR450, XR1000, EX7500/EX7700

Message 60 of 526
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: New - RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version 4.6.5.14 Released

Glad you got it working. I would power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and Orbi system. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡


@srinivasgnv wrote:
Surprisingly after several tries I started seeing the updated firmware for both router and satellite. Clicked update all
Finally the update completed successfully and I could see in the Online Update >> Status table that both RBR750 and RBS750 are updated to V4.6.5.14. But the version info on the top right corner still shows older version V4.6.3.16_2.0.51
After a couple of refreshes the version info on the top right corner also got updated to V4.6.5.14_2.0.54
My issue is resolved. Thank you!

 

My Setup ISP SparkLight | Internet Cable 1000↓/50↑ CAX80 Modem Mode |  Wifi Router RBK853 (Router Mode) | and R9000 (Router Mode) | Switches NG GS105/8, GS308v3, GS110MX and XS505M | Additional NG HW: C7800/CAX80/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi: CBK40, CBK752, RBK50, RBK853, RBK752, RBK953, SXK30 | NightHawk: MK63, MR6150, R7000, R7800, R7960P, R8000, R8500, R9000, RAXE500, RAX50, XR450, XR1000, EX7500/EX7700

Message 61 of 526

Re: New - RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version 4.6.5.14 Released

Done that Furry. More times than anyone should have to for equipment this expensive.

It’s the firmware, it’s bad. It’s that simple.
Message 62 of 526
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: New - RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version 4.6.5.14 Released

Well not everyone is having problems with v14. Same for me. Mines working well. 

 

I would contact NG support and ask for additional help and information regarding this. You may have a faulty system. 


@MaleHumanUK wrote:
Done that Furry. More times than anyone should have to for equipment this expensive.

It’s the firmware, it’s bad. It’s that simple.

 

My Setup ISP SparkLight | Internet Cable 1000↓/50↑ CAX80 Modem Mode |  Wifi Router RBK853 (Router Mode) | and R9000 (Router Mode) | Switches NG GS105/8, GS308v3, GS110MX and XS505M | Additional NG HW: C7800/CAX80/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi: CBK40, CBK752, RBK50, RBK853, RBK752, RBK953, SXK30 | NightHawk: MK63, MR6150, R7000, R7800, R7960P, R8000, R8500, R9000, RAXE500, RAX50, XR450, XR1000, EX7500/EX7700

Message 63 of 526
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: New - RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version 4.6.5.14 Released

So left my 7 series RBS ethernet connected since yesterday. I was playing some CoD gaming with my game console ethernet connected to a R7800 that was in wireless bridge mode that was connected to the RBS thats ethernet connected to the RBR. Saw no issues all day. RBS was wirelessly connected first since I had to move it closer to the RBR where my long ethernet cable could reach. After the RBS was wirelessly connected I plugged in the ethernet to the Switch thats connected to the back of the RBR. I saw the RBS front LED turn ON BLUE and then after a few minutes, turned back OFF. Ok so far. 

 

Iphone, pad and Mac Book all connected to the RBS as well. 

 


@orbiuser1975 wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

How was your system updated? 

Did you power OFF the RBR and RBS for 5 minutes then back ON after v14 was applied. 

 

Does the RBS appear connected to the RBR while ethernet  connected to the back the RBR with out the unmanaged swtich? 

What was the brand and model# of this 'unmanaged' switch again?

 

Id do a full factory reset on the RBR and RBS if nothing else resolves this...


@FURRYe38 Thanks for the suggestions.

 

It was updated via the web interface Advanced -> Administration -> Firmware Update -> Online Update "UpdateAll" (noting the missing space...).

 

Yes, both RBR and RBS were turned off for more than 5 minutes, the RBS turned on first for at least 10 minutes, followed by the RBS.

 

I didn't test connecting the RBS and RBS directly, as that had worked in the past as advertised by NG, but ultimately doesn't help me as the final (and original) install won't be able to use a direct cable. I expect it does work, but again not helpful.

 

The unmanaged switch is a TrendNet TEG-S16Dg, the same switch that was in the mix with v3 that worked. I have a couple of NG 5 and 8 port switches that I'll try and see if it matters.

 

I haven't done a complete factory reset yet, but will take that under advisement. I hope if NG is going to continue forcing updates, they ensure that a factory reset isn't required...


 

My Setup ISP SparkLight | Internet Cable 1000↓/50↑ CAX80 Modem Mode |  Wifi Router RBK853 (Router Mode) | and R9000 (Router Mode) | Switches NG GS105/8, GS308v3, GS110MX and XS505M | Additional NG HW: C7800/CAX80/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi: CBK40, CBK752, RBK50, RBK853, RBK752, RBK953, SXK30 | NightHawk: MK63, MR6150, R7000, R7800, R7960P, R8000, R8500, R9000, RAXE500, RAX50, XR450, XR1000, EX7500/EX7700

Message 64 of 526
orbiuser1975
Apprentice

Re: New - RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version 4.6.5.14 Released


@FURRYe38 wrote:

Id ensure the RBS are working directly connected. 

Then take one of the other switches and connected while you have the RBS near the RBR. Test and check the RBS. Swap out each switch and test to see if anything appears. Switch can go bad. Also this helps verify RBS and swtich operation. 

Might be a cable issue too. 

 

Your current swtich is Green Ethernet supporting:

https://www.trendnet.com/products/product-detail?prod=235_TEG-S16Dg

Something that Orbi has long has had a problem with in the past. Even though it worked for you on v3, v4 may have changes this behavior. So try a different switch while you trouble shoot this. 

 

My 8 series is in AP mode currenly and both RBS are working with v4 loaded while connected to my HP Procurve switch. I'll check on my 7 series after a while. 


RBR750 -> CAT5e -> RBS750

   - Shows "Wired" and Backhaul status "Good".

 

RBR750 -> CAT5e -> TrendNet TEG-S50g H/W v4.1R -> CAT5e -> RBS750

   - Shows "Wired" and Backhaul status "Good".

 

RBR750 -> CAT5e -> TrendNet TEG-S16Dg H/W v1.1R -> CAT5e -> RBS750

   - Shows "Disconnected"

 

RBR750 -> CAT5e -> Netgear GS605v5 -> CAT5e -> RBS750

   - Shows "Wired" and Backhaul status "Good".

 

RBR750 -> CAT5e -> Linksys SRW2008 (managed) -> CAT5e -> RBS750

   - Shows "Wired" and Backhaul status "Good".

 

Looks like whatever changed in the firmware, I'm just unlucky... 

My Setup (FiOS ONT 300Mbps/300Mbps) > pfSense (DIY) > RBR750 (AP) > RBS750 v4.6.5.14
Message 65 of 526
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: New - RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version 4.6.5.14 Released

RBR750 -> CAT5e -> TrendNet TEG-S50g H/W v4.1R -> CAT5e -> RBS750

   - Shows "Wired" and Backhaul status "Good".

 

RBR750 -> CAT5e -> TrendNet TEG-S16Dg H/W v1.1R -> CAT5e -> RBS750

   - Shows "Disconnected"

 

Interesting these both are similar units using same green ethernet features but the 16 series is giving problems while the 50 series doesn't. 

I presume there is on user UI for these switches that you could check to see if you can disable the "IEEE 802.3az Energy Efficient Ethernet" feature? 

If not, I guess use the 50 series as your in between switch for the RBR and RBS...

My Setup ISP SparkLight | Internet Cable 1000↓/50↑ CAX80 Modem Mode |  Wifi Router RBK853 (Router Mode) | and R9000 (Router Mode) | Switches NG GS105/8, GS308v3, GS110MX and XS505M | Additional NG HW: C7800/CAX80/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi: CBK40, CBK752, RBK50, RBK853, RBK752, RBK953, SXK30 | NightHawk: MK63, MR6150, R7000, R7800, R7960P, R8000, R8500, R9000, RAXE500, RAX50, XR450, XR1000, EX7500/EX7700

Message 66 of 526

Re: New - RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version 4.6.5.14 Released

Both wireless and wired units still losing DHCP/DNS (internet connectivity fails, have to release/renew IP address). I have recommended Orbi to so many people... but how on earth does it make sense for a firmware update to require a full system reset? Might be fine for me to do... but it blows my mind that this is the go to solution for literally every post?

 

Lights not working right - factory reset

Can't access the internet - factory reset

Backhaul not working - factory reset

Satellite connectivity issues - factory reset

Going for a drive - why not do a factory reset before you go? It's super simple, barely an inconvenience!!

 

Brilliant stuff guys. Top notch.

Message 67 of 526
Mr410
Star

Re: New - RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version 4.6.5.14 Released


@Microsoft365 wrote:

Both wireless and wired units still losing DHCP/DNS (internet connectivity fails, have to release/renew IP address). I have recommended Orbi to so many people... but how on earth does it make sense for a firmware update to require a full system reset? Might be fine for me to do... but it blows my mind that this is the go to solution for literally every post?

 

Lights not working right - factory reset

Can't access the internet - factory reset

Backhaul not working - factory reset

Satellite connectivity issues - factory reset

Going for a drive - why not do a factory reset before you go? It's super simple, barely an inconvenience!!

 

Brilliant stuff guys. Top notch.


A firmwware update doesn't require a full system reset. I'm one month into using Orbi after 6 years on the google wifi platform. Three firmware updates on the Orbi and not one issue of the devices not updating, nor not working properly after rebooting from the update. Obviously, everyone's use case is different, with differeent hardware in between these mesh points, but running everything stock in a 50 year old house has yielded excellent results.

 

I think NG should be commended for actively updating the firmware in an attempt to address everyone's issues.

 

Message 68 of 526

Re: New - RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version 4.6.5.14 Released

DNS issues are not the result of an unmanaged switch, I am sorry to say. Especially having also had Orbi's for years - this is new. Firmware update - spontaneous DNS issues. You can say it's "disparate hardware" that causes people to "rise up" but when things are working fine, people aren't posting. They're just using the product. You cannot release a new firmware, magical issues pop up, and then say, welp, must be your stuff that stopped working at the same time you hit that update button! Time for a factory reset.

I have a lot of friends and family who swear by these things. Hiding behind factory resets and what walls are made of every time a firmware update wrecks a system is no way to conduct support. That's absurd. If those issues were always there, I would have been posting about this all day. Actually, I probably would have just returned the dang things and gone with something else. Consistent results UP UNTIL a firmware update is not the fault of my ethernet lines, my unmanaged Ruckus switch, or my various devices connected the network. It's the firmware. Plain and simple.

Message 69 of 526
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: New - RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version 4.6.5.14 Released

Factory resets are a valid and troubleshooting set WHEN problems arise. Even after FW updates. Yes, not always needed. A power OFF of the Orbi systems for a good minute or more is recommended after a FW update first this.

 

Not everyone has problems with this version of FW. I recommend you reach out to NG support and ask for additional help and information. I believe we done all we can here in the forums for you. You need additional assistance. 

 

Good Luck. 


@Microsoft365 wrote:

DNS issues are not the result of an unmanaged switch, I am sorry to say. Especially having also had Orbi's for years - this is new. Firmware update - spontaneous DNS issues. You can say it's "disparate hardware" that causes people to "rise up" but when things are working fine, people aren't posting. They're just using the product. You cannot release a new firmware, magical issues pop up, and then say, welp, must be your stuff that stopped working at the same time you hit that update button! Time for a factory reset.

I have a lot of friends and family who swear by these things. Hiding behind factory resets and what walls are made of every time a firmware update wrecks a system is no way to conduct support. That's absurd. If those issues were always there, I would have been posting about this all day. Actually, I probably would have just returned the dang things and gone with something else. Consistent results UP UNTIL a firmware update is not the fault of my ethernet lines, my unmanaged Ruckus switch, or my various devices connected the network. It's the firmware. Plain and simple.


 

My Setup ISP SparkLight | Internet Cable 1000↓/50↑ CAX80 Modem Mode |  Wifi Router RBK853 (Router Mode) | and R9000 (Router Mode) | Switches NG GS105/8, GS308v3, GS110MX and XS505M | Additional NG HW: C7800/CAX80/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi: CBK40, CBK752, RBK50, RBK853, RBK752, RBK953, SXK30 | NightHawk: MK63, MR6150, R7000, R7800, R7960P, R8000, R8500, R9000, RAXE500, RAX50, XR450, XR1000, EX7500/EX7700

Message 70 of 526
jamacphoto
Apprentice

Re: New - RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version 4.6.5.14 Released

Silly questions,
Not had coffee yet
A factory reset ….does them mean have to re add manually all your wifi device ? All 79 have cameras, Alexa s lights, temp and other sensors like doors.

So if have to manually adding back then sorry factory resets multiple times a day are not valid WHEN there are more than 10 devices.

Thanks all for your suggestions of factory reset and saving off but sadly I understand you are provided the ONLY solutions but as a software developer the only solutions when a firmware fails is Netgear rolls back firmware to last stable

I have down this personally for programs in my 20+ years of programming

Like other companies they are being brave and testing in production lol (this is the problem with modern programmers and I fight it all the time )
Message 71 of 526
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: New - RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version 4.6.5.14 Released

Not if you use the same SSID name and PW during the setup wizard or configure the RBR manually for same SSID name and PW. 

My Setup ISP SparkLight | Internet Cable 1000↓/50↑ CAX80 Modem Mode |  Wifi Router RBK853 (Router Mode) | and R9000 (Router Mode) | Switches NG GS105/8, GS308v3, GS110MX and XS505M | Additional NG HW: C7800/CAX80/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi: CBK40, CBK752, RBK50, RBK853, RBK752, RBK953, SXK30 | NightHawk: MK63, MR6150, R7000, R7800, R7960P, R8000, R8500, R9000, RAXE500, RAX50, XR450, XR1000, EX7500/EX7700

Message 72 of 526
driph
Tutor

Re: New - RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version 4.6.5.14 Released

Chiming into to add myself to the "this didnt work" list, still experiencing the same issue as others with the new firmware (satellite cycles, connection lost).

 

Been through the troubleshooting steps, now I'm just waiting for a firmware fix.

 

Message 73 of 526
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: New - RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version 4.6.5.14 Released

Be sure to let NG support know. 

@DarrenM @Blanca_O 


@driph wrote:

Chiming into to add myself to the "this didnt work" list, still experiencing the same issue as others with the new firmware (satellite cycles, connection lost).

 

Been through the troubleshooting steps, now I'm just waiting for a firmware fix.

 


 

My Setup ISP SparkLight | Internet Cable 1000↓/50↑ CAX80 Modem Mode |  Wifi Router RBK853 (Router Mode) | and R9000 (Router Mode) | Switches NG GS105/8, GS308v3, GS110MX and XS505M | Additional NG HW: C7800/CAX80/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi: CBK40, CBK752, RBK50, RBK853, RBK752, RBK953, SXK30 | NightHawk: MK63, MR6150, R7000, R7800, R7960P, R8000, R8500, R9000, RAXE500, RAX50, XR450, XR1000, EX7500/EX7700

Message 74 of 526
ahswp
Apprentice

Re: New - RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version 4.6.5.14 Released

Same here . New firmware did NOT fix the issue. Maybe my "hardware" "broke" at the exact same time when NG pushed the new firmware on us. What are the odds?!?! 

Message 75 of 526
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E