Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New - RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version 4.6.5.14 Released

FURRYe38
Guru

Try manually re-installing FW using a wired PC and web browser? 

Factory reset and setup from scratch? 

@ahswp wrote:

Same here . New firmware did NOT fix the issue. Maybe my "hardware" "broke" at the exact same time when NG pushed the new firmware on us. What are the odds?!?! 

Message 76 of 526
ahswp
Apprentice

What would that do? Nothing! The firmware does not fix the issue of the random device disconnects. I’ve already installed the other firmware … then this one. Clearly , like others have experienced, netgear failed again to fix the problem!

#netgearsucks
Message 77 of 526
N3tworkDud3
Apprentice

@ahswp wrote:
What would that do? Nothing! The firmware does not fix the issue of the random device disconnects. I’ve already installed the other firmware … then this one. Clearly , like others have experienced, netgear failed again to fix the problem!

#netgearsucks

Right - In general, reiiinstalling broken firmware won't fix anything. Thought I do hate to admit our BMW 7 series friend here may have a point. There is a possibility a problem exists with the "OTA" fiirmware update process. Reloading the firmware with a wired connection could solve it. With checksum processes, I think this is a very low probabilty, but it does exist.

I wonder if this is why they haven't shoved this version down the throats of the 850 series owners yet. Waiting to see how the 700 series folks complain first. 

Message 78 of 526
FURRYe38
Guru

Not everyone is having problems on the new FW. 

My 7 series is working well on it as well. 

You can follow this users process to see if it will help:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-RBR850-RBS850-Firmware-Version-4...

If not, then contact NG support and ask for help and information for those of you who can't seem to get your orbi systems working. 

@ahswp wrote:

#netgearsucks

Message 79 of 526
tucsontico
Virtuoso

Waited to chime in on the V4.6.5.14 firmware. I was experiencing the "random blue LED" on the satellites and a slowdown of WiFi speeds on the previous firmware (V4.6.3.16). I bit the bullet and installed the V4.6.5.14 firmware yesterday.

The install went smooth via the "Manual Update" mode. As a precaution, I turned off most of my devices (the one's I could reach without a ladder!). I installed the update on my satellites first, then the router. Powered down my cable modem and the entire ORBI for about 5 minutes, then brought everything back up one at a time (modem, router, sat 1, sat 2). Once the ORBI was up and running on the newest firmware, I powered up my devices one at a time. The entire process took about an hour but, after 24 hours, the random LED issue appears to be gone. WiFi speeds are back to expected (800 Mbps near the router, 600 Mbps near a sat). Fingers crossed! Will report back after a few more days of use and observation. 

Message 80 of 526
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad it's working for you too.

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

@tucsontico wrote:

Waited to chime in on the V4.6.5.14 firmware. I was experiencing the "random blue LED" on the satellites and a slowdown of WiFi speeds on the previous firmware (V4.6.3.16). I bit the bullet and installed the V4.6.5.14 firmware yesterday.

The install went smooth via the "Manual Update" mode. As a precaution, I turned off most of my devices (the one's I could reach without a ladder!). I installed the update on my satellites first, then the router. Powered down my cable modem and the entire ORBI for about 5 minutes, then brought everything back up one at a time (modem, router, sat 1, sat 2). Once the ORBI was up and running on the newest firmware, I powered up my devices one at a time. The entire process took about an hour but, after 24 hours, the random LED issue appears to be gone. WiFi speeds are back to expected (800 Mbps near the router, 600 Mbps near a sat). Fingers crossed! Will report back after a few more days of use and observation. 

Message 81 of 526
EdFerreira
Star

I'm sitting here eating popcorn and reading comments about this new firmware, behind my trustworthy 8 year old Linksys router. My Orbi unit sits in a plastic bag behind my front door. Looking at it, it doesn't seem garbage, but trying to use it does. The positive side is, it didn't take 2 months from the previous alpha firmware to this one. From what i'm reading it is starting to look like a real beta version. A real improvement from the last one. But still, maybe not ready for prime time. I'll continue eating my popcorn and coming here to have a little fun, slowly because my router is old.

The latest trending subject is teaching everyone to backup the config file... Seems like you'll be needing it very much after every factory reset they will have you do. I must confess, its a little boring to watch the NG employees giving you all "help", making you go in circles every time. I'm past being mad. Now i'm just bored. I'll keep coming here to have fun until they fix it, or the cure to cancer becomes available. Whatever comes first.

Message 82 of 526
jamacphoto
Apprentice

Thank you could not have said it better myself.
Imagine Going to bing your car in for oil and lube. Paying for it , and then you doing it as the garage techs work. Lol
Message 83 of 526
FURRYe38
Guru

You could try this:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/Alternatives-to-orbi-considering-rep...

@EdFerreira wrote:

I'm sitting here eating popcorn and reading comments about this new firmware, behind my trustworthy 8 year old Linksys router. My Orbi unit sits in a plastic bag behind my front door. Looking at it, it doesn't seem garbage, but trying to use it does. The positive side is, it didn't take 2 months from the previous alpha firmware to this one. From what i'm reading it is starting to look like a real beta version. A real improvement from the last one. But still, maybe not ready for prime time. I'll continue eating my popcorn and coming here to have a little fun, slowly because my router is old.

The latest trending subject is teaching everyone to backup the config file... Seems like you'll be needing it very much after every factory reset they will have you do. I must confess, its a little boring to watch the NG employees giving you all "help", making you go in circles every time. I'm past being mad. Now i'm just bored. I'll keep coming here to have fun until they fix it, or the cure to cancer becomes available. Whatever comes first.

Message 84 of 526
EdFerreira
Star

Always helpful. We really appreciate your helping hand. I'll be glad to follow your advice. Just give me my money back. It's that easy.
Message 85 of 526
jamacphoto
Apprentice

I agree everyone on the forums are very helpful and glad you are here
For the ones that want to jumó through hoops.
I agree need a Good fix, rollback to good firmware or money refund

Sadly none will happen soon lol
Message 86 of 526
FURRYe38
Guru

We'll for users whom are still having problems, you'll need to contact NG support since forum help seems to have been exhausted. 

Or roll back to working FW which IS working and can be performed. 

For refunds, again, you'll need to contact NG support as we don't have any kind of access to those decision resources. 

Good Luck. 

Message 87 of 526
jamacphoto
Apprentice

Good luck indeed
Tried to rollback and did not work as Netgear did not provide a way to stop the Upgrade, Netgear need to publish next firmware but be actually the last step ever

Sadly good luck will it help as contacted NG and thank you for all the ways to contact them.

All I got was added to another post/forum and got the Beta firmware that then came Out like 2 days later lol so my stuff did the auto update and did not have to do it manually lol.

It is sad that others than Netgear are helping and feeling bad for your issues.

Good luck to you all and we will see how many will still be around when/if this gets fixed

Sadly Orbi was amazing for my 3000 sqft and even worked in front and back yard. Now latest version worked for a few days better than before. And now I am experiencing all satellites failing and coming back and dropping and then requiring wifi devices. Sadly before with the first bad
Firmware my issue was once every two weeks and reboot once fixed it again for 2 weeks or more.

Sadly not home right now so can only watch on app and rebooting has done nothing or made it worse.
Message 88 of 526
EdFerreira
Star

Sadly the thing that bothers me the most is when the bots (i'm beggining to think they are indeed bots) in this forum keep trying to waste our time with tests they already know are a waste of time. Same thing when you contact the NG support. The units are not faulty, there's no point in sending them back or running 3h of tests. Just admit the dream of some genius that wanted to bundle too much crap in the same devices is not doable by your present dev team. At least the core funcionalities should work. Save everyone a lot of trouble and just halt production and recall the devices. You'll maybe have better luck next time and maybe the customers will forgive you. This is beyond a train wreck. It is now a nuclear disaster. I already listed my orbi, hopefully someone needs some High tech paper weight. Good luck to you all.

Message 89 of 526
jamacphoto
Apprentice

One thing to add that the previous firmware 2 ago worked perfectly and the device worked perfectly. Assume that the firmware update was for security patch to something they found
Would be funny if it was for improvement of service as so far has been totally the opposite effect lolololol

Have to add that it is good for new joiners to this chat to provide them known workaround that they can do on their own and all the hoops they can jump through. If they want to do it and all the power to them and I wish you the best of lucklol

But not for me lol as the time per hour I would
Charge anyone and the cost of the router means I would be loosing even more funds lol

Hope we get a easier one step none coding workaround/ fix or a firmware that works lol
Message 90 of 526
FURRYe38
Guru

You have two ways to block the FW update, either by using a host router in front of the RBR or use a older version of v3 FW which supports telnet and use the following process to block it:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/RBK750-Series-Firmware-Update-v4-6-3-7/m-p/2130584/highligh...

@jamacphoto
Message 91 of 526
jamacphoto
Apprentice

Do any of these options involve downloading a copy of the firmware. Signing on via IP address to the router and the satellites, either updating over the air or via wire.
And your done

Again others can jump through these hoops if they like
To me for the price I paid for the router. It’s equivalent to bringing my car in to be oil change and lube pay the dealership for the oil change and lube and then me performing the oil change and lube while the technicians watch me, and get paid for Labor
Lol

Again not taking away from the suggestion for anybody else that wants to do it
Go for it as it works .
But too many hoops for me, sadly I wish I had enough free time to do that or even build a pc (like I use to do) but time is precious so went back to me old router repeater set up and crossing fingers of me 600 mps wifi system comes back soon.
Message 92 of 526
Engladian
Tutor

So I decided to try out this firmware tonight and have experienced huge speed drops, from around 940mbps on the previous firmware to around 40mbps on the new. I've factory resetted everything twice with no luck. I'm about to go back to the previous firmware, at least temporarily, to see if that brings things back to where they were. I have to say the amount of effort and troubleshooting required to keep this system working is beginning to outweigh the usefulness to me...

Message 93 of 526
WRSORBI
Luminary

This happened to me also. Factory reset made no difference. The fix was simple. NG had me go in to 'internet setup' and change MAC address from 'default' to 'computer'. Reboot and had full bandwidth restored.. 

Message 94 of 526
J823
Tutor

For me the update does not work as well, random disconnects, even after several factory resets.
Message 95 of 526
FURRYe38
Guru

Try this users process:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-RBR850-RBS850-Firmware-Version-4...

@Engladian wrote:

So I decided to try out this firmware tonight and have experienced huge speed drops, from around 940mbps on the previous firmware to around 40mbps on the new. I've factory resetted everything twice with no luck. I'm about to go back to the previous firmware, at least temporarily, to see if that brings things back to where they were. I have to say the amount of effort and troubleshooting required to keep this system working is beginning to outweigh the usefulness to me...

Message 96 of 526
claudiut
Apprentice

I have the RBK753 package (1 router, 2 satellites) and have upgraded to this new firmware with NO IMPROVEMENTS whatsoever over the previous version. Same frequent connection drops, occasional speed drops. The only change is really the LEDs not lighting up anymore during the connection drops. So I guess that was the only change NG has done. Really lame!!

Message 97 of 526
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last update?

@claudiut wrote:

I have the RBK753 package (1 router, 2 satellites) and have upgraded to this new firmware with NO IMPROVEMENTS whatsoever over the previous version. Same frequent connection drops, occasional speed drops. The only change is really the LEDs not lighting up anymore during the connection drops. So I guess that was the only change NG has done. Really lame!!

Message 98 of 526
claudiut
Apprentice

NG router connected to a Bell Home Hub 3000 modem (I'm up in Canada) The service I have is Fibe 500 (500 Mbps up/down)

House size: 2300 sqft, 2 stories

The distance between router and satellites is mode than 30ft

I did not perform a factory reset since the last firmware update. I was thinking about that, but to be honest reading some comments from others who performed it, not sure it will help. I might give it a try just in case.

Thanks!

Message 99 of 526
FURRYe38
Guru

What mode is you ISP modem working in ? Router or bridge mode? 

Your ISP Modem already has a built in router and wifi. This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

@claudiut wrote:

NG router connected to a Bell Home Hub 3000 modem (I'm up in Canada) The service I have is Fibe 500 (500 Mbps up/down)

House size: 2300 sqft, 2 stories

The distance between router and satellites is mode than 30ft

I did not perform a factory reset since the last firmware update. I was thinking about that, but to be honest reading some comments from others who performed it, not sure it will help. I might give it a try just in case.

Thanks!

Message 100 of 526
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7