Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New - RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version 4.6.5.14 Released

SergeL
Apprentice

I think I solved the latest firmware issues. I found one of the suggestions and followed it, my system is currently running on the latest firmware without any issues or additional tweaks.

The steps are:
- Download the latest firmware for satellites and the router.
- Update individual satellites, one by one. Wait until it fully applies firmware, and each becomes visible in the UI.
- Power off all satellites
- Disconnect your modem or pull cable from the WAN port, then update the router.
- After the system is up, power it off ofr a couple of minutes and do the factory reset of the router with pin.
- Wait until the system is up, restart your modem, and reconnect WAN.
- Do system setup, skip adding satellites
- Power up one satellite, and do factory reset with pin.
- Add satellite through web UI
- Repeat for other satellites

After executing all those steps this morning, my system is rock solid. No reboots, no outages.

I guess the factory reset of the whole system while it was disconnected from the internet did the trick...

Message 201 of 526
Jlhardwick
Star

Good Luck...

Been there and tried that.. Worked fine for about 12-24 hours and all the problems returned.

Please let us know how it is after a couple of days. 

Message 202 of 526
SergeL
Apprentice

I've ordered Linksys Velop as an alternative. We will see if I have to unbox it.
Message 203 of 526
SergeL
Apprentice

The main router rebooted after 12 hours Smiley Mad, came back online fast. I've disabled AX on 2.4G, there was no rebbots last night, will keep monitoring.

Message 204 of 526
10DollarBill
Aspirant

Thanks, Furry.  For clarity, I am not a sysadmin - just a simple caveman who knows enough to get into serious trouble.  Answers below...

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?  I have Fiber to the curb - it's a Verizon Fios Optical Network Terminal, connected directly to the RBR, unobstructed. 

I wouldn't see a need to change the MTU unless your on a specific DSL modem service which those usually need. Most Cable and Fiber use 1500 MTU... Definitely not running DSL. This was the tech's suggestion. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?  6k. 

What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.  About 200 sq feet. 

Connection thus far has been stable.  

Message 205 of 526
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. 

@10DollarBill wrote:

Thanks, Furry.  For clarity, I am not a sysadmin - just a simple caveman who knows enough to get into serious trouble.  Answers below...

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?  I have Fiber to the curb - it's a Verizon Fios Optical Network Terminal, connected directly to the RBR, unobstructed. 

I wouldn't see a need to change the MTU unless your on a specific DSL modem service which those usually need. Most Cable and Fiber use 1500 MTU... Definitely not running DSL. This was the tech's suggestion. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?  6k. 

What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.  About 200 sq feet. 

Connection thus far has been stable.  

Message 206 of 526
10DollarBill
Aspirant

Indeed.  The router is about 200 feet from the satellites.  And the Satellites are about 200 feet from each other.   Both satellites are hardwired via Cat5 (entire house is wired).  Signal stregth is BLUE.   Speedtest in the app is consistent at 800MBps upstream and down, similar to performance pre-firmware upgrade

Message 207 of 526
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok are the RBS front LEDS turning OFF completely? 

Are the RBS directly connected to the RBR or is a ethernet switch in between? 

@10DollarBill wrote:

Indeed.  The router is about 200 feet from the satellites.  And the Satellites are about 200 feet from each other.   Both satellites are hardwired via Cat5 (entire house is wired).  Signal stregth is BLUE.   Speedtest in the app is consistent at 800MBps upstream and down, similar to performance pre-firmware upgrade

Message 208 of 526
10DollarBill
Aspirant

Lights are off.  And they are connected directly

Message 209 of 526
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok. Keep an eye on it for a few days. 

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

@10DollarBill wrote:

Lights are off.  And they are connected directly

Message 210 of 526

I upgraded to 4.6.5.14 a few weeks ago and initially was stable.  Fast forward a few weeks and I'm still getting devices dropping off the wifi and the mesh has become unstable again.

I'm not repeating the same lengthy process to fix this, so I'm returning them to Amazon.  For £530 I shouldn't have to be spending so much time trying to get this stuff to work.  Working from home has probably made this so much more important to work now, which perhaps has exposured Netgears poor testng before shipping out a new FW version!   Annoucing their new hardware versions to support WIFI 6e also isn't the best timing on the forums with customers having so many issues.

Switching to BT complete wifi discs until next year (cheaper and worked ok before)  Next year I'm renovating the house so will be putting in wired connections to each room and using a wifi node for any devices which need wifi - these could be Orbi's but probably not, something a little neater and mounts on the ceiling would be perfect.

Good luck everyone!

Message 211 of 526
martin1982
Guide

now would be the time that netgear gives us an info. There are so many people who have problems. And the solution can t be to do a downgrade (not the same functionality like parent control etc in 3.x not availaible, at least i m paying also for the amor and for the parent control already). issues can happen but it s unaccaptle to not inform their customer. it will be enough to get a info if they are working on it or not. Do they see the issue or not. So @netgear please give at least a info. 

Message 212 of 526
jamacphoto
Apprentice

Lol
Now is not the time…
That time was a month or more ago.
Lol

Like others I have reached out to Netgear and they acknowledged that there is more than likely an issue with the firmware, and they said they get a lot of calls about it. They also said they have no idea when it'll be fixed but are working hard on it.

Sadly we have seen 2 fixes in firmware (I believe ) and no real fix.

I am just glad my system is back to stable again for over a week

Good luck all
Message 213 of 526
SergeL
Apprentice

I had only one unexpected reboot in two days, to mitigate that, I've disabled "AX" on 2.4G. So far, system is working with zero interruption. Nevertheless, I'm going to try ASUS ZenWiFi ax6600 tonight and if it offers the same speed and coverage, I'll dich Orbi. I'm working from home and stable connectivity is crucial.

@SergeL wrote:
I think I solved the latest firmware issues. I found one of the suggestions and followed it, my system is currently running on the latest firmware without any issues or additional tweaks.

The steps are:
- Download the latest firmware for satellites and the router.
- Update individual satellites, one by one. Wait until it fully applies firmware, and each becomes visible in the UI.
- Power off all satellites
- Disconnect your modem or pull cable from the WAN port, then update the router.
- After the system is up, power it off ofr a couple of minutes and do the factory reset of the router with pin.
- Wait until the system is up, restart your modem, and reconnect WAN.
- Do system setup, skip adding satellites
- Power up one satellite, and do factory reset with pin.
- Add satellite through web UI
- Repeat for other satellites

After executing all those steps this morning, my system is rock solid. No reboots, no outages.

I guess the factory reset of the whole system while it was disconnected from the internet did the trick...

Message 214 of 526
FURRYe38
Guru

NG doesn't give much if any forth coming information regarding future FW udpates. No router mfr does. Be like this for a long time.

NG is aware of the issues at hand and we can presume they are working on it. Fixes do not come over night. It's already been posted that other users have contacted NG support and have expressed there problems to NG support. So they KNOW about it. 

I recommend not using @ netgear tag in post. You can see that this profile hasn't been used since 2015. If you want to tag a active forum moderator, tag @ Blanca_O and @DarrenM.

Good Luck. 

@martin1982 wrote:

now would be the time that netgear gives us an info. There are so many people who have problems. And the solution can t be to do a downgrade (not the same functionality like parent control etc in 3.x not availaible, at least i m paying also for the amor and for the parent control already). issues can happen but it s unaccaptle to not inform their customer. it will be enough to get a info if they are working on it or not. Do they see the issue or not. So @netgear please give at least a info. 

Message 215 of 526
jdk1120
Apprentice

I'm still on 4.6.3.16 with intermittent disconnect issues.  Will my problem linger or even get worse by upgrading to 4.6.5.14?  I'm hesitant to update seeing many of the responses in this thread.

As an aside... what a disappointment and mess.. I assumed that, given the high price tag of this product, Netgear would resolve this within days if not a few weeks. Now it has been a few months with ineffective patches to the firmware.  While on Youtube yesterday, I was shown Netgear's fancy ad of Orbi Wifi 6 router as a premium product; I simply laughed.

Message 216 of 526
SergeL
Apprentice

I just returned mine back to Costco. Switched to ASUS ZenWiFi. Bye Netgear 👋
Message 217 of 526
claudiut
Apprentice

4.6.5.14 is a mess as well. I've moved back to 3.2.18.1 and get back stability although speed on wifi (both 2.4 and 5ghz) is super slow. I'm unfortunately unable to return mine, but if you can I recommand you do and move on to something else. Netgear is such a mess right now.
Message 218 of 526
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you disabled AX mode on 2.4Ghz? 

Also try using channel 11 and 48. 

Has a full facory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last update? 

Others have mentioned a reset has helped them. You may need to factory reset the system and power the system OFF as well. 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-RBR850-RBS850-Firmware-Version-4...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-RBR850-RBS850-Firmware-Version-4...

@jdk1120 wrote:

I'm still on 4.6.3.16 with intermittent disconnect issues.  Will my problem linger or even get worse by upgrading to 4.6.5.14?  I'm hesitant to update seeing many of the responses in this thread.

As an aside... what a disappointment and mess.. I assumed that, given the high price tag of this product, Netgear would resolve this within days if not a few weeks. Now it has been a few months with ineffective patches to the firmware.  While on Youtube yesterday, I was shown Netgear's fancy ad of Orbi Wifi 6 router as a premium product; I simply laughed.

Message 219 of 526
claudiut
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 : are there any known issues with AX feature on 2.4Ghz? I have AX enabled for both 2.4 and 5Ghz (running 3.2.18.1 firmware) and experiencing slow speeds. System is stable so far and reluctant to make any changes that may bring stability, but happy to try if there is a known issue with AX on 2.4Ghz

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Have you disabled AX mode on 2.4Ghz? 

Has a full facory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last update? 

Others have mentioned a reset has helped them. You may need to factory reset the system and power the system OFF as well. 

@jdk1120 wrote:

Message 220 of 526
FURRYe38
Guru

I don't remember seeing issues on 2.4ghz while on v18.1 in regards to AX mode. The mention of disabling AX mode on 2.4Ghz is in regards to v4 FW as others have seen issues with v4 FW and some have mentioned that they disabled AX mode on 2.4Ghz and seems to help solve some problems. This only seems to apply to v4 FW. 

@claudiut wrote:

@FURRYe38 : are there any known issues with AX feature on 2.4Ghz? I have AX enabled for both 2.4 and 5Ghz (running 3.2.18.1 firmware) and experiencing slow speeds. System is stable so far and reluctant to make any changes that may bring stability, but happy to try if there is a known issue with AX on 2.4Ghz

Message 221 of 526
wifiblues
Luminary

here is an update on my experience with the newly released firmware v4 whatever.

at time which is more frequent than i'd like to witness - it seems that the satellites are cycling through - i notice it when the light is blue - guess that means it is reattaching or reaffirming the attachment to the network.  

i have noticed that my work laptop disconnects - not sure if it coincides with the bluelight going on.  Probably does though.  Sadly, i am stuck with Orbi - unless i settle for a lower price on Ebay.

question - if i shut off the 2.4 channel, i wonder how that would affect wifi clients that use 2.4 vs 5.0 - is is simply that they would not operate?

Message 222 of 526
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you disabled AX mode on 2.4Ghz? This doesn't effect the 5Ghz radio. Only 2.4Ghz. 

@wifiblues wrote:

here is an update on my experience with the newly released firmware v4 whatever.

at time which is more frequent than i'd like to witness - it seems that the satellites are cycling through - i notice it when the light is blue - guess that means it is reattaching or reaffirming the attachment to the network.  

i have noticed that my work laptop disconnects - not sure if it coincides with the bluelight going on.  Probably does though.  Sadly, i am stuck with Orbi - unless i settle for a lower price on Ebay.

question - if i shut off the 2.4 channel, i wonder how that would affect wifi clients that use 2.4 vs 5.0 - is is simply that they would not operate?

Message 223 of 526
wifiblues
Luminary

i, frankly, am not willing to alter the set up - hopefully Netgear will produce a FW that is effective.

Message 224 of 526
FURRYe38
Guru

Well you can try disabling Ax mode on 2.4Ghz. If nothing changes, you can revert it back. Again, disabling AX mode on 2.4Ghz doesn't effect 5Ghz whatsoever.

Message 225 of 526
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7