Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New - RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version 4.6.5.14 Released

energie
Luminary

After the whole debacle that went on with:

Which took Netgear well over 1 year to respond to and fix. I now too am suffering from random router 'crashes'. In regards to the previous problem, one solution or workaround was to put the entire Netgear Orbi (AX4200) system in Access Point (AP) mode and use another router - from a different brand - in front of the Orbi as the actual router. Well, considering all the issues I faces with DNS timesouts/website crashes. I never stopped using this workaround.

However, now, every now and then with these new firmwares. I am observing:

1. satellite loses connection to the router (Orbi) at random moments
  2. satellite appears to be losing connection whenever a 'certain' device rejoins the network (mobile phones/laptops).

In regards to the point #2, it happened on occassions that I get back home after being a couple of days away. And exactly at that moment in time the satellite has lost connection to the router. I guess this can also happen if the device rejoins the router (Orbi) instead of the satellite.

Message 251 of 526
martin1982
Guide

yes the same problems here, i have only my kids and women on this wifi because before i had shellys a lot of alexas and iot staff on it.

but i implemented some cheap tp-link wifi ap s and it s working without any issue. to have disconnections with my mobile or laptop is mess enough but to have problems with the complete smarthome this is another story.

i saw netgear is looking to this chats, but why not a PM or someone from tech give us an advice eg please downgrade the system to v3 or something else, sorry this was figured out by the community. And by the way Neatgear force us to upgrade because we can t block it (yes you can block dns etc) but for "normal" user it s not that easy. So i m not sure if this have also a legal impact. 

At the end i hope soon they will fix it otherwise i will get my money back, because as mentioned i also can t sell it on the open market without a bad feeling.  

@energie wrote:

After the whole debacle that went on with:

Which took Netgear well over 1 year to respond to and fix. I now too am suffering from random router 'crashes'. In regards to the previous problem, one solution or workaround was to put the entire Netgear Orbi (AX4200) system in Access Point (AP) mode and use another router - from a different brand - in front of the Orbi as the actual router. Well, considering all the issues I faces with DNS timesouts/website crashes. I never stopped using this workaround.

However, now, every now and then with these new firmwares. I am observing:

1. satellite loses connection to the router (Orbi) at random moments
  2. satellite appears to be losing connection whenever a 'certain' device rejoins the network (mobile phones/laptops).

In regards to the point #2, it happened on occassions that I get back home after being a couple of days away. And exactly at that moment in time the satellite has lost connection to the router. I guess this can also happen if the device rejoins the router (Orbi) instead of the satellite.

Message 252 of 526
jdk1120
Apprentice

AX is turned off for both 2.4 and 5G and problem persists.  Please alert NG to pay more attention to this issue.  We are patiently waiting.. for months now

Message 253 of 526
jayeshm
Apprentice

F

@martin1982 wrote:
As mentioned i use parent control and it s not available in v3. So basicly the product wasn t ready for the market if it takes so long to fix the base function... But anyhow i agree we can t change it.... I m only a stupid customer who is buying expensive staff which not working...

Frankly as a parent i suggest you look into a more robust solution. My suggestion is to look at pfsense or if you want something with robust application and web filtering untangle home (it costs between 50 to 150 a year).

They are very easy to run and even come pre-configured with the firewall etc. I installed it since i got a teenager i look after, and stuck it with an old Intel NUC. Then proceeded to downgrade the orbi and leave it on 3.2.18xx and blocked all updates and left it running in AP mode. So far it seems to be holding up.

I do have a stable unifi setup too for my own office work (2 story house).

Message 254 of 526
martin1982
Guide

Hi ,thanks but for me it was also important that its working if the kids aren t at home. But yes i found now another solution for parent control. But i will not downgrade, i already spent a lot of time for try and error.

I got yesterday my dream machine pro and tomorrow some acccesspoints. So i m done with Netgear. And yes also on Unifi is not all fine (community) but i will see.

Message 255 of 526
jayeshm
Apprentice

Hey at least it’s easy to downgrade and lock in on good firmware on unifi. That’s what I’ve done
Message 256 of 526
martin1982
Guide

yes agree, and there are also some "pro feature" ssh connect etc. and i have to say the dream machine pro and some unifi poe switches they make a lot fun 🙂 but anyhow i have to look now what i do with the rbr750 and 4xrbs750 (they weren t cheap) and all less than 6 month old. But my priorities was to have a stable network infrastructure and not the money.

Message 257 of 526
Toughguy5
Guide

new update, 11/7/2021

as of this writing i have been having problems with ORBI RBR750, i have noticed she has and will drop connections which cause me to reboot, and after that i loose both of the the satillites, it says they are disconnected  and i will have reboot her again just to get them to come back online, and the 60 devices in my home keep getting tossed off the sats, with a reboot or power outage,with google wifi after a power outage the devices would be there when google came back online.....this has been a real pain....

Message 258 of 526
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last update? 

@Toughguy5 wrote:

new update, 11/7/2021

as of this writing i have been having problems with ORBI RBR750, i have noticed she has and will drop connections which cause me to reboot, and after that i loose both of the the satillites, it says they are disconnected  and i will have reboot her again just to get them to come back online, and the 60 devices in my home keep getting tossed off the sats, with a reboot or power outage,with google wifi after a power outage the devices would be there when google came back online.....this has been a real pain....

Message 259 of 526
titaniumrx8
Apprentice

Finally had it with the Orbi753. Packed it up and returned it to Costco.

I actually had it working well but I can't abide by the unexpected, incomplete firmware updates, followed by two days of reboots and relogging on all of the IoT devices that won't rejoin the network automatically.

I know how to block the auto-updates with an upstream router but why should I? My upstream router is a Nighthawk which works fine. So, I kept the upstream router and ditched the Orbi.

Good luck to all of you who stay with Orbi. My next network product won't be Netgear.
Message 260 of 526
ant
Prodigy
Prodigy

@titaniumrx8 wrote:
Finally had it with the Orbi753. Packed it up and returned it to Costco.

I actually had it working well but I can't abide by the unexpected, incomplete firmware updates, followed by two days of reboots and relogging on all of the IoT devices that won't rejoin the network automatically.

I know how to block the auto-updates with an upstream router but why should I? My upstream router is a Nighthawk which works fine. So, I kept the upstream router and ditched the Orbi.

Good luck to all of you who stay with Orbi. My next network product won't be Netgear.

What are you going to buy?

Message 261 of 526
titaniumrx8
Apprentice

@ant wrote:

Haven't decided yet. Leaning towards a Linksys Velop 6 but haven't finished researching it. Will also consider Asus and TP-link. The Linksys 3 year Warrany AND Support gives me some confidence that they stand behind their products. I know that the Velop isn't the fastest of the mesh systems but absolute speed isn't a big concern. Stability is. I'm too old to climb trees and go into the attic every time the network hiccups.Smiley Frustrated If anyone knows a mesh system that allows a VPN to be installed on the router so I don't need one on every device I'd probably buy one of those.

As I noted above, I actually liked the Orbi when it was working but they pushed 2 updates to me in 2 weeks and it was enough.

BTW, the thing that got to me most was that ever since the last 3.x rev, the satellites wouldn't daisy chain anymore which meant that the far satellite was getting half the performance with its 80' home run back to the router than chaining off the satellite that was in the middle of the house.

Costco will now send it back to NG who will no doubt send it out as a warranty replacement for someone.

Message 262 of 526
Toughguy5
Guide

Yes it has.
Message 263 of 526
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you disable AX mode on the RBR? 

Set manual channel 11 on 2.4Ghz and 48 channel on 5Ghz.

Set CTS to 2347 Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

@Toughguy5 wrote:

new update, 11/7/2021

Message 264 of 526
Toughguy5
Guide

i will do this and update when completed, thank you.

Message 265 of 526
d700
Apprentice

Questions:

-Has anyone tried scheduling daily reboot in off hours via a smart plug or similar?

-Do we know if this is a firmware memory leak type of thing where daily reboot keeps it fresh and memory clear?

-For those that downgraded to original firmware (V3), are you still able to have Ethernet backhaul? If so, any challenges setting it up or was it automatic.

I'm on this v4.6.5.14 and we're getting reboots strategically timed to occur during big team meetings, presentations or when I'm video conferencing with my boss. What @#$@#$ing hot garbage Netgear is...I went to Orbi to escape this stuff on the Nighthawk line, obviously its endemic. I will never recommend a Netgear product in our company ever.

NETGEAR MANAGEMENT: YOU SUCK AT YOUR JOBS.

Message 266 of 526

Sure hope this advice works for you... would be great if it worked for someone, 260+ posts later. Pardon me if I don't hold out much hope, since it hasn't yet worked for anyone else.
Message 267 of 526
d700
Apprentice

Well I checked the logs this AM and it appears the Orbi is rebooting more frequently than my Ring Alarm logs indicate. The Orbi logs have flash cleared twice since yesterday afternoon, I confirmed through a work computer VPN that I lost connection right before the new log starts...so reboots are happening multiple times a day....scheduling a daily reboot doesn't seem like it would help.

@SadOrbi4200 wrote:
Sure hope this advice works for you... would be great if it worked for someone, 260+ posts later. Pardon me if I don't hold out much hope, since it hasn't yet worked for anyone else.

@Blanca_O @DarrenM 

Is NetGear going to fix this or should we all just go dump our stuff on the counter at Costco can start buying Eero and Ubiquity?

Outrageous. Netgear, you are screwing with people's livelyhoods with us all working from home and needing reliable networking.

Message 268 of 526
SergeL
Apprentice

After I returned my Orby back to Costco, Ive purchased Asus ZenWiFi. It's been several weeks, and I couldn't be happier!

@titaniumrx8 wrote:

@ant wrote:

Haven't decided yet. Leaning towards a Linksys Velop 6 but haven't finished researching it. Will also consider Asus and TP-link. The Linksys 3 year Warrany AND Support gives me some confidence that they stand behind their products. I know that the Velop isn't the fastest of the mesh systems but absolute speed isn't a big concern. Stability is. I'm too old to climb trees and go into the attic every time the network hiccups.Smiley Frustrated If anyone knows a mesh system that allows a VPN to be installed on the router so I don't need one on every device I'd probably buy one of those.

As I noted above, I actually liked the Orbi when it was working but they pushed 2 updates to me in 2 weeks and it was enough.

BTW, the thing that got to me most was that ever since the last 3.x rev, the satellites wouldn't daisy chain anymore which meant that the far satellite was getting half the performance with its 80' home run back to the router than chaining off the satellite that was in the middle of the house.

Costco will now send it back to NG who will no doubt send it out as a warranty replacement for someone.

Message 269 of 526
ant
Prodigy
Prodigy

@SergeL wrote:

After I returned my Orby back to Costco, Ive purchased Asus ZenWiFi. It's been several weeks, and I couldn't be happier!

Does it go far with multiple satellites? I assume Costco sells it.

Message 270 of 526
SergeL
Apprentice

I've got Asus ZenWiFi AX from Amazon, it's not available in Costco. It comes with two units, and can be expanded any way you want. I've purchsed additional sattelite for Asus, and now I'm running the same deployment configuration as Orbi RBK753. But I see way better speed on my WiFi compared to Orbi.

@ant wrote:

@SergeL wrote:

Does it go far with multiple satellites? I assume Costco sells it.

Message 271 of 526
ellen2298
Apprentice

Which specific model did you buy if I may ask and why that particular one? Honestly I am fed up at this point. I have had this for a year and was great until the recent updates. I spent a ton of time trying to make it better including going back to v3. long story but I have an upstream router and tried to block updates but again today was updated back to v4 with slow speeds. I can't take anymore how much time it takes tinkering with a system that is so expensive. I have been self taught by these forums how to do things and I just can't keep doing this at the whim of Netgear's firmware updates without support. Also do you use parental controls? Wondering how robust their system is. Thank you in advance.

Message 272 of 526
tak1313
Luminary

If you like plug and play, without tinkering, Eero is known for 'just working,' but you'll have to check on any complaints because you also have no control over updates - it truly is a plug and play mesh.

Asus has a great UI for a consumer product (to me), which is why I run the Orbi as AP behind my older 68U and block all updates (which Orbi will NOT self-block).  Plus if you need/want QOS or modest parental controls, it does that as well - for FREE.

You can also go AiMesh, which is a mesh using specific router models, but you have to do a little research on which models work well together.

Asus' full mesh systems can also be a little hit/miss as far as firmware too, but from what I've seen, it's NOTHING near as bad as Orbi issues.  Same for Linksys Velop.  The caveat being that with either, you may need one more satellite than you might need with Orbi because the one thing Orbi does do well (as long as you have a working firmware) is wifi mesh.  That's why I use my Asus for routing (because it is infinitely better than Orbi's dumbed down interface), and run Orbi as AP on v3 firmware and block updates with the Asus.  The v3 I use is the last one that had DNS issues that led to the v4 debacle, but it's not an issue in my network because it's in AP mode, so the Asus is doing the DNS.

TP-Link makes a decent mesh but I believe some don't like that the interface UI web based (ie. you're doing it over the web - not directly with the router).  If true, that setup is weird to me, because if your internet is down, but you still have local network, what good is it?  Not sure about that claim though, as I've never used TP-Link routers (though I have used there repeater/extenders, which have worked great).

Ubiquiti is VERY robust because their main market is commercial/enterprise users.  You have incredible control and monitoring capabilities, but it does come with a learning curve to use it.  That being said, their stuff does have set it and forget it modes too - especially the Alien line.

But the MAIN advantage of most of them (aside from Eero) is that they don't force updates (at least as far as I know), and they all allow backdating to an earlier firmware if desired/needed (as far as I know).

Message 273 of 526
SergeL
Apprentice

I've got ASUS ZenWiFi AX6600 XT8 2-pack + 1-pack unit from Amazon https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B083Q45V1V/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Like I said, it was on sale, current it's $40 more that I've paid.

Read more here 

https://www.asus.com/us/Networking-IoT-Servers/Whole-Home-Mesh-WiFi-System/ZenWiFi-WiFi-Systems/ZenW...

@ellen2298 wrote:

Which specific model did you buy if I may ask and why that particular one? Honestly I am fed up at this point. I have had this for a year and was great until the recent updates. I spent a ton of time trying to make it better including going back to v3. long story but I have an upstream router and tried to block updates but again today was updated back to v4 with slow speeds. I can't take anymore how much time it takes tinkering with a system that is so expensive. I have been self taught by these forums how to do things and I just can't keep doing this at the whim of Netgear's firmware updates without support. Also do you use parental controls? Wondering how robust their system is. Thank you in advance.

Message 274 of 526
ellen2298
Apprentice

Thank you for such a detailed response! Honestly I don't mind tinkering and for someone who knows nothing I have become pretty good at it. From what you said, it seems like my issue is that even though my 752 is in AP mode, since the router is also Orbi (needed it at the time for the parental controls) I can't block the auto updates. I tried adding download sites in the blocked sites on my RBR50 but still autoupdated. I also had tried going back to the 3.20 version but couldn't get the telnet to work but it may  just be that i don't know what i am doing enough to be able to do it.

It is a shame to me to stop using the 752 altogethersince it was amazing before but I need to be able to block the firmware update. Maybe I should get an ASUS router/mesh system and still use the 752 for the extended coverage that I need. Do you know if parental controls only run in router mode or do they work at all in AP mode? I would think they would not but just wanted to confirm.

A lot to think about here and sadly another research project. I really don't need plug and play but i can't keep having the torture of what has gone on. I haven't even spoken about the fact that the update on my RBR50 caused the Circle parental control to stop working and now the Netgear Parental control glitches every time there is a power outage or reboot requiring factory reset of the router each time and then reinstalling orbi app and starting from scratch with setup of parental controls. It has been a very rough couple of months and not sure how much more I can take.

Message 275 of 526
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7